• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In other news....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In other news....

It remains criticaly dry in huge areas in Western Canada. Some areas have seen little or no precip in 3 months. Just look at the accumulated and percent precip for the last 90 days in the praries.. Kinda scary, but a long time till April.
    Temps continue to be well above normal and it remains very dry well into the new year.

Many areas are very happy to see little precip so far, and hope it continues. BUT, I agree when it is gettingalmost drier than sopping here, it's gotta be dry somewhere else. I've been wondering if the weather would cycle back to the nice dry years of my childhood. The 80's and 90's were excellent years for growing crops in this area.

Comment

It is VERY dry... but;

Since it is cold... 2 inches for snow and months of dry weather mean we are NOT even in a desert... even if it would be one if we didn't have 6 months of sub freezing temps.

We do live in a truly amazing climate!

Cheers and have a great Christmas!

I would rather see rain in the spring than six feet of snow like last year!!!

Comment

I like it, no pushing snow, no frozen fingers, no feeling like it's been winter for 10 months, no urges to spend $15k on a new sled. The winter of 09/10 was dry and look how that summer shook out, there also wasn't alot of snow last winter either and I'll take last years amount of moisture any time.

Comment

I agree, this is nice i would take thisa every fall/winter if the rains come in june it all good. But if they don't ???

Comment

Actually Furrow you have been pretty lucky in your area the last 4 years if I am correct. Unlike most other areas. So perhaps your due for some correction in the luck with the ellements.

Comment

Absolutely you are right, that's what concerns me a little but it is a long way till spring. but sooner or later...

Comment

Only us farmers can find a wreck five months in the future, but I sure hope we`re wrong.

Comment

One reason why the concern for the dry weather is, that its time to buy inputs. Farmes are stroking some pretty big cheques for timely delivery in the spring. It tough to drop six digits for product, not knowing if its going to be worthwhile in May. This is a very stressful time of year in many ways. I used to blame it on Christmas season pressure, but really, its just part of farming. I can hear the dealers blabbing about fertilizer supply and that China and India are going to step into the market and short the supply of N or P or K or S. The pressure to buy canola seed because the "best performing" varieties will be gone by mid January. A few years back my neighbors pre bought all their fertilizer needs. Then the supplier, a grain company, could not supply fertilizer offering some lame excuse. They left the farmer in a pickle buying from the other suppliers at spot fert prices in May. The grain company supplier honoured the farmer's credit on account by telling them that it could be utilized against herbicide pickups. Its quite interesting, these neighbors have cash,farm 4500 acres, paid in December and still that did not work in their favour. Ultimately the weather did work out that year. Dont worry about the weather, make sure the details are correctly documented/contracted and your supplier does what he says. You dont need any funny stories at planting time, you need the product you paid for. Thats my rant for the day!

Comment

hobbyfrmr,

We reward good ethical business partners who compete and strive to make our farm competitive and productive.

Merry Christmas... hope and pray the moisture comes at the right time for us this spring!

Comment

Thanks to you Tom our most ethical business partner is gone.. this is the most UnChristian thing done SO far by this group of High Priests in the temple.

The Motives of the Fundamentalist christians we have put in power will have to be monitored.

Comment

Very good point hobby, seen the same thing here as well, was very common that spring.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...