• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB NIGHTMARE AT 423 MAIN STREET?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB NIGHTMARE AT 423 MAIN STREET?

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Senate votes to abolish wheat board monopoly

By: Mia Rabson

Posted: 12/15/2011 6:00 PM|
    OTTAWA - It took nearly seven years in government but Prime Minister Stephen Harper has finally achieved his goal of passing legislation to eliminate the Canadian Wheat Board’s monopoly on prairie grain sales.

But whether he can act on it is still up in the air.

Bill C-18 was passed at third and final reading in the Senate Thursday with the support of all the Conservatives present. The Liberals, and Independent Senator Jean-Claure Rivest voted against the bill. Independent Senator Anne Cools abstained.

"The Conservatives believe in setting the western farmers free," said Manitoba Conservative Sen. Don Plett. "It’s a great day for Western Canada."

Shortly after the vote, Gov. Gen. David Johnston gave the bill royal assent. Liberal Leader Bob Rae and CWB chair Allen Oberg had both written to Johnston asking him not to give the bill royal assent while the courts are considering the legality of the bill.

However that has not happened in Canada, and few believed Johnston would heed the calls.

With royal assent and then the government immediately proclaiming the bill, it means the farmer-elected directors of the CWB are out of their jobs and farmers can begin forward contracting their grain sales with whatever grain company they wish. The actual monopoly won’t be lifted allowing for the sales to proceed outside the CWB until August 2012.

The next steps for the bill are in doubt however as a court prepares to hear a case from the CWB requesting an injunction against the bill being implemented. The request was filed in Manitoba court Wednesday and the first hearing is scheduled for today.

It’s unclear whether the hearing will be just to determine the date to hear arguments regarding the injunction or whether the judge will want to hear those arguments tomorrow. If it is the former, the CWB directors hope the judge will issue a temporary injunction until the full hearing takes place.

Last week, a federal court judge issued a declaration Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz was offending the rule of law by introducing legislation which did not comply with the Canadian Wheat Board Act. The existing act requires the minister to consult with the CWB directors and hold a plebiscite among CWB producers before making changes to the CWB monopoly.

Ritz has declared the general election last spring served as the only vote he needed since the vast majority of CWB ridings voted for Conservative MPs.

Justice Douglas Campbell disagreed.

However the ruling did not specifically address the viability of the bill which meant debate and votes on it could and did proceed.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gerry Ritz said they planned to push on with the bill because the courts cannot prevent Parliament from passing legislation.

Queen’s University professor and parliamentary procedural expert Ned Franks said the courts can however prevent the government from acting on legislation as long as it is a matter before the courts.

The federal government has appealed Campbell’s ruling.

Plett said Thursday he fears some farmers might be confused about what to do but said farmers should proceed as if the bill is law unless they are told otherwise.

"I don’t know what the judge in Manitoba is going to say," he said. "Am I concerned about a judge’s ruling against the wishes of western farmers? Absolutely."

Plett said he believes the government’s chances at the appeal of Campbell’s ruling are quite good.

mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

The question is will the CWB still proceed without the crazy 8 directing
    the ship?

Comment

If Oberg truely believes in the rule of law he will realize that he is not
      chairman any longer and does not represent the CWB.

Comment

With the 8 remaining elected directors removed, can the remaining directors withdraw the action as they now are in complete control. Hopefully this will happen and the 8 will have to hit the bricks.

Comment

I find it ironic that Mia Rabson states that "after 7 years" the conservatives finally got their way on marketing freedom while judge Campbell says farmers need to be consulted more? Mia Rabson, a reporter from Winnipeg, seems to be more in tune with the last 20 years of debate than a judge from Winnipeg or just maybe, one is reporting on politics and one is playing politics.

Comment

One small step at the CWB already, but its a start. I just checked out their website. There's still a lot of shrapnel and left over aresenal visible from the battles they fought, but it appears the link to the Stop the Steamroller campaign has been removed.
            Hope Ian White had someone developing a whole new website with a new attitude, a new look, and chocked full of useful information. In this day and age, their website will be their main vehicle for information dissenation. Clearly they will need to demonstrate a new attitude and a new direction. A clean break from the past is going to be invaluable to them, and they need to do it quickly. A refreshing new website would not only be symbolic of a new beginning, but extremely valuable to the CWB and farmers both.

Instead of the images and rhetoric of political battles assaulting you as soon as you click on their link, I want a welcoming message and an attitude that says, "The CWB wants to earn your business!"

Comment

Oops, sorry about the atrocious spelling error above. That word was supposed to be "dissemination".

And just to add one more comment.... While I am saying that what I want is a change of attitude and demonstrable desire to earn my business at the CWB, its going to be really nice to be able to say "no thanks" if the transformation is not what it needs to be

Comment

I would like to think that maybe, just maybe the
                West will finally get this rotting albatross from
                around their neck.

Speaking of consultation, would someone please
                tell me when farmers have been consulted?

Oh yeh, i remember how we were consulted on
                tne Crow Payout. Most of that money never saw
                farmers' hands, oh yeh and when goodale locked
                up farmers, and then pulled off the outrageous
                stunt of trying to lock the farmers into servatude
                for perpetuity. That was consultation, all right.

Then out of the blue, the stars lined up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...