• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my ugly face

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my ugly face

http://sj.farmonline.com.au/news/state/grains-and-cropping/general/tailem-bend-site-to-provide-grain-market-options/2393205.aspx?storypage=2

Tailem Bend site to provide grain market options

PAULA THOMPSON

16 Dec, 2011 03:01 AM

"We're a contract packer, we don't export on our own account. We work with a range of exporters, people who export to China, Vietnam, India and Sri Lanka."

Mr O'Driscoll said the site had to meet certain criteria in terms of access to road and rail.

"While we examined other areas around Tailem Bend, we couldn't find a site that had the flexibility this site had," he said.

"It has access to the Karoonda to Tailem Bend road, it abuts the Tailem Bend to Loxton road and is also on the rail line.

"While other sites had more land, the critical issues were road access.

"We can get B-double access to the site once we upgrade Race Course Road."

There were two proposed development stages.

"Stage one allows for 100,000t of bunker storage initially," Mr O'Driscoll said.

"It will also feature a 60x30-metre shed for niche storage, which could be grain, machinery, fertiliser or chemicals.

Mr O'Driscoll said the cost of the stage one development would be about $6m.

"That's to acquire the land for planning approvals and earthworks on the site, as well as the infrastructure," he said.

Race Course Road would be realigned and resealed to take it to B-double standard.

"We're hoping to start work on the development around May, subject to local government approvals," Mr O'Driscoll said.

"We then hope to have it up and running by harvest 2012."

He said a significant amount of earthworks had to take place before any infrastructure work could begin.

"While initially we will not have rail outload facilities, we're working towards ensuring there's enough space on the southern side to allow for the possibility of rail outload facilities," he said.

"We're trying to give two groups of people options, both growers and buyers."

"Unless you've got some competitive tension within the marketplace, the needs of growers and end-users are not going to be met."

"Mr O'Driascoll said he did not think growers were going to see the benefit of a deregulated market until individual companies could establish their own logistics chain.

"At the moment, we're hindered by the virtual monopoly that's in place," he said.

*Full report in Stock Journal, December 15 issue, 2011.

Good Job Mallee!

You are famous!

Comment

QUOTE:

included about 18,000 retired farmers, land owners, and estates

UNQUOTE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/24/wheat-board-plebiscite.html

Ballots sent to more than 68,000 wheat and barley farmers must be postmarked Aug. 24, and will be counted on Sept. 8 and 9, the board said.

18,000/68000 equals 26.47% of the total ballots.

Who said dead people don't count?

Comment

absolute power corrupts absolutely, yeah no kidding,
        just look at harper tactics.

Comment

LWeber: I would say that those figures of about 18,000 retired farmers, land owners, and estates is absolute baloney. At best they are conjecture...at worst they are a product of malice and deliberate mis-information. I believe the latter is most likely.

Comment

Conjecture wilagro. Just cuz you say so doesn't make it true or proven. The voters list is conjecture on both sides.

I_F, did you even read the article? Why didn't the CWB honour the barley vote in 2007?

Comment

Wilagro, we could end the conjecture. Make the voters' list public. Is there a need for Putin-esque voting procedures? Maybe, if you want Putin-esque results.

Comment

The number of permit holders in the 2009/10 annual CWB statistical tables is 50,761. Never been sure where the 68,000 number came from. The last time there was 68,000 permit book holders was in 2004/05.

[URL="http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/about/investor/annual/pdf/09-10/stats_english2009-10.pdf"]page 18 table 23[/URL]

Comment

Its a done deal.

Comment

Four of my landlords received ballots even though they haven't sold grain in a few years
                    and are all 68 to 83 years old and will never return to farming.

Also my neighbour is a retired schoolteacher with 40 acres of wheat in each year and he
                    also received a ballot.

Hardly a representative sample of the farm sector.

When I spoke with one landlord about the situation I have never seen such a look of
                    complete fear outside of the movie theatre.

The surprising thing is I have been paying him cash rent on the land that I farm for 7
                    years.

He had a custom farming arrangement on a quarter up until a couple years ago til he
                    changed to cash there too.

Comment

I_F re tactics: & Chretien & Trudeau & Dief & Pearson & Mulroney & King..............

Comment

Good thread Larry, this is exactly the point I was trying to make several times. Way too many b/s ballots. That plebicite was a complete waste of time and money.

Comment

Those flashy adds get a guy every time ... lol

Comment

Thankfully the flawed survey doesn't matter any more. Once the CWB sheds the crazy 8 and the propoganda department they have a shot at being relavant. It will take a shift of focus but the CWB has some good people, for example Ryan Furtas, who was quite helpful to me when I had problems.

Comment

AFSCs' definition of farmer is one who makes all/most the decisions and takes all/most of the risk. That would sift @ least 1/3 of ballots out.
                              But moot.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...