• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Director Letter to me in the Mail!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Director Letter to me in the Mail!!!

I got this in the mail... Friday.

"November 2011

An open letter to farmers from your elected CWB directors

The federal government wants to hand each and every grain farmer in Western Canada a bill of more than $4,000 to pay for the destruction of the CWB's single desk.

Perhaps if farmers had a say in the decision to end the CWB, it would be fair to ask us to foot the bill. But we didn't have a say. The government ploughed ahead unilaterally, and steadfastly refused to consult with or listen to Prairie producers.

The government's plan is to expropriate the contingency fund and a number of sizable assets to help pay the costs of getting rid of the current CWB. The contingency fund is currently sitting at about $120 million. To make matters worse, the Conservative government recently upped the contingency fund cap to $200 million - meaning this government could potentially grab up to $200 million from the fund to help pay for the dismantling of the CWB.
    The government would also take $80 million in assets, including a fleet of 3,400 rail hopper cars and the CWB office building in Winnipeg. In addition, farmers will have paid $28 million - or nearly half the cost - of two new laker vessels by August 1, 2012. The government plans to hijack these ships, meaning farmers will never receive the long-term revenue and cost-saving benefits the ships would have generated.

Add it all up, and it comes to more than $200 million - money that should rightfully be returned to farmers, not used to finance the government's decision to remove the single desk and set up a government-controlled grain company in an open market environment.
    To put this in context, the board has been criticized for spending about $1.4 million on advertising to oppose the government's tactics in dismantling the single desk without consulting producers and in fast-tracking Bill C-18 through Parliament. It has also been criticized for spending roughly $100,000 on a lawsuit to defend farmers' democratic right to have a say on this issue. Meanwhile, the Harper government is planning to take at least 130 times this combined amount and force you to pay for their decision to eliminate the single desk. The board's expenditure amounts to pennies per tonne, while the government's tally of money and assets totals more than $4,000 per producer.

Our own plebiscite showed that 62 per cent of wheat farmers want to keep the CWB intact. The majority of farmers clearly oppose the dismantling of the single desk - so why should we have to pay for it?

The CWB's contingency fund underwrites the financial risks associated with two types of farmer programs operated by the CWB: Producer Payment Options and cash-trading programs. Funding is received primarily through the users of these programs - in short, the money comes from farmers. We believe, as the CWB is wound down, that the money should be returned to farmers. The same goes for hopper cars, ships and other assets - farmers' money has paid for these, so it's only right that farmers recoup their value.
    Farmers are already paying dearly for the government's move to an open market. Under the single desk model, the CWB is the only seller of western Canadian wheat and barley. This creates a farmers' monopoly: wheat and barley farmers are not competing against each other for sales and driving down the price of their grain. The loss of this monopoly will cost producers an additional $500 million each year in lost premiums. In addition, due to the single desk's marketing clout, the CWB is able to provide a number of other benefits, from branding to fighting for reduced grain-transportation costs.

This government is acting purely on ideology - it has provided no economic analysis on its plan, and has adamantly refused to let farmers decide the issue, it is also steamrolling Bill C-18 through Parliament to limit debate.

If Bill C-18 is passed into law, we, your elected representatives to the CWB board, will be fired. The CWB will cease to be a farmer-controlled organization, and will be without farmer input for the first time in almost 30 years. The organization will become a government-controlled entity and a shell of its former self. Profits that now flow to farmers will instead accrue to large grain companies.

It's utterly unfair to demand farmers pay for the opportunity to earn less money.

If you agree that the government should keep its hands off the contingency fund and other assets, then we encourage you to contact elected officials through the online form at www.cwb.ca. As Bill C-18 heads to the Senate, you may also want to contact your province's Senators. Contact information is available at www.parl.gc.ca, in the Senate column.
    Farmers are losing enough with this move to an open market. Farmers didn't ask for it, farmers don't support it, and farmers' certainly shouldn't be forced to pay for it.

Stewart Wells
    Swift Current, SK, District 3

Bill Woods
    Eston, SK. District 4

Allen Oberg, CWB chair
    Forestburg, AB District 5

Cam Goff
    Hanley, SK, District 6

Kyle Korneychuk
    Pelly, SK, District 7

Rod Flaman
    Edenwold, SK, District 8

John Sandborn
    Benito, MB, District 9

Bill Toews
    Kane, MB, District 10"

I agree with this:
    "It's utterly unfair to demand farmers pay for the opportunity to earn less money."

Which is exactly the reason the Courts and the Government have told these 8 Rogue CWB Directors to STOP Wasting my money promoting the CWB 'Single Desk'.

<i>"Our own plebiscite showed that 62 per cent of
    wheat farmers want to keep the CWB intact."</i>

You mean the plebiscite that purposely excluded
    farmers who "voted with their drills already", and
    under-represented actual farmers while over-
    representing absentee and retired landlords?

We don't need a plebiscite to tell us it's wrong to
    expropriate someone's property against their will
    just to feed someone else's marketing choice.

Comment

We have to keep fighting, with letters to our local news papers,emails,chat on face book, what ever it takes to show city people the CWB's true colors.
      Full steam ahead conservatives, we're behind you all the way !

Comment

So for only $4000 we can be rid of the CWB?
        Where do I send the cheque?

Comment

I like this part:

"""The government would also take $80 million in assets, including a fleet of 3,400 rail hopper cars and the CWB office building in Winnipeg. In addition, farmers will have paid $28 million - or nearly half the cost - of two new laker vessels by August 1, 2012. The government plans to hijack these ships, meaning farmers will never receive the long-term revenue and cost-saving benefits the ships would have generated. """

And when did farmers vote on owning these assets???

The boats can only benefit a few eastern prairie farmers and former Prime Minister Paul Martin. And everyone knew it.

Comment

Tucker

It means no interim payment on 11/12 on no final on 10/11.

Comment

We got the same letter, even though our director had to quit in disgust.

The key line in my opinion is "... we your elected representatives to the CWB board, will be fired".

Entitlements, entitlements.

And when did they ever give 2 seconds of thought to how much the contingency fund was up or down?

Comment

I have not recieved my $4,000 bill yet but if I can be free of the CWB I will gladly pay. The CWB costs me more than that every year. I love how these 8 directors never let the facts get in the way of a good story. They have spent $28m on a couple new boats they were never going to own. According to the CWB CFO and the CWB Act, the assets of the CWB belong to the G of C. Should have thought of that before THEY wrote the check. It would have been easy to set up a company where farmers could have voluntarily invested to buy and own these boats, but the directors knew they couldn't have raised 60 cents let alone $60m.

Comment

I'll so gladly send in $4000 minus what
                  the court costs and adds are costing me,
                  The crazy 8 can pay that bit out of their
                  pocket.

Comment

"we, your elected representatives to
                    the CWB board, will be fired. The CWB
                    will cease to be a farmer-controlled
                    organization, and will be without farmer
                    input for the first time in almost 30
                    years"

The only sensible directors have left,
                    have been driven away, or shut down by
                    the 8. In any business when that happens
                    at the upper end of management there is
                    no checks and balances and usually
                    results in a runaway and then total collapse. The best thing possible for
                    any future for the CWB is a complete
                    change of the guard.
                    Had that change happened years ago or
                    even 6 months ago we would not be
                    fighting for our freedom, we'd be
                    looking at having the CWB as one of
                    several buyers of our products. Now I'm
                    so disgusted with the actions and behavior of the crazy 8 that I'd lose
                    money somewhere else just to never deal
                    with them again. But in saying that most
                    farmers that are up on their marketing
                    know that I'll actually be making more
                    money not dealing with CWB. so in saying
                    that Thank you crazy 8 your gonna save
                    me one phone call when im selling my
                    wheat next fall.

Comment

The spin doctors.....captains of spin!

Comment

$200 million is peanuts. the board has peed that away so many times for farmers. For their own good, might I add. What a bunch of fruitcakes.

Comment

The math is interesting.

I know how much is in the contingency fund. The
                          CWB has worked it from about $20 million at the
                          end of the 2009/10 crop year to $120 million
                          currently half way through the 2011/12 crop year.
                          No one will actually know the real number until July
                          31 as the contingency fund is still backstopping the
                          current crop year (2011/12).

The other number is $4,000 and how they got it. I
                          assume they took $200 million and divided by
                          50,000 permit book holders (not sure why this
                          number). So I guess someone who delivered 100
                          tonnes over whatever time period gets $40 per
                          tonne for their share. Someone who delivered
                          1,000 tonnes gets $4/tonne. Someone who
                          delivers 10,000 tonnes gets 40 cents per tonne.
                          Someone who didn't use any of the PPO programs
                          gets the same payout as someone who actively used
                          the programs and deposited 60 per cent of the
                          money in the $200 million equity base.

Comment

Just curious if a recommendation ever went into the
                            federal government for an adjustment payment on
                            durum? Should be a big one.

Comment

charliep

Farmers are 100 percent accepted and 75 percent called before christmas, the fastest the crop has ever moved in recent history and no adjustment payments. They eight are pissing away alot of money or not paying attention to what they were elected to do.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...