• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB ruling will be overturned: Brodbeck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/12/07/cwb-ruling-will-be-overturned-brodbeck

Federal Court Judge Douglas Campbell’s decision to declare Bill C-18 unlawful is a perfect example of a judge overstepping his judicial bounds and entering into the world of politics. That’s why his decision will be overturned on appeal.

Campbell said the bill — which will eliminate the Canadian Wheat Board’s monopoly — is unlawful because government failed to consult the CWB or hold a vote among grain farmers.

Trouble is, nowhere in the act does it say those are legal requirements government must follow before eliminating the single-desk system.

To be honest, Campbell’s written decision reads more like political commentary than a judicial ruling. It has more to do with the judge’s personal beliefs than the rule of law.

He has essentially read a rule into the Canadian Wheat Board Act — under Sec. 47.1 — that simply doesn’t exist.

He may want it to exist. He may think the government has a moral obligation to hold a vote among farmers before eliminating the board’s monopoly. But that’s not what the law says.

What Sec. 47.1 of the act does say very clearly is that Parliament shall not introduce a bill under the existing monopoly “that would exclude any kind, type, class or grade of wheat or barley, or wheat or barley produced in any area in Canada” without consulting with the CWB and without getting the approval of grain farmers through a vote.

That law came into effect in 1998 and was clearly designed to ensure farmers had binding control over which products would be included or excluded from the monopoly scheme.

If, for example, Parliament tried to remove barley from the monopoly without holding a vote, government would be in violation of its own act.

But that’s not what C-18 is about. The bill doesn’t contemplate adding or removing products from the monopoly scheme. The bill eliminates the monopoly altogether.

Campbell says while it may not state specifically that a vote is required before ending the single-desk system, the rule is implied.

Unfortunately for him, he makes a very weak case on how such a requirement could possibly be implied in this case. He may want it to be implied, but the act doesn’t suggest in any way that a vote must be held under these circumstances.

If it was the intent of Parliament to bind future parliamentarians with the self-imposed law that a plebiscite is required before winding down the single-desk system, they would have put it in the act. They did not.

Campbell seems to gloss over that very important fact. Instead, he gives parliamentarians a lecture on the degree to which they should consult Canadians before making significant statutory changes.

“Generally speaking, when advancing a significant change to an established management scheme, the failure to provide a meaningful opportunity for dissenting voices to be heard and accommodated forces resort to legal means to have them heard,” wrote Campbell. “In the present piece, simply pushing ahead without engaging such a process has resulted in the present applications being launched.”

Since when is it a judge’s job to instruct Parliament on when and how to consult Canadians before passing laws? Those are political issues that fall outside of the court’s jurisdiction. Unless the court is making specific reference to a statutory requirement, it has no business meddling in the political affairs of Parliament. Those decisions and the consequences that flow from them should be dealt with through the political process, not the courtroom.

This will be overturned.

Of course it will, but can the government get it to an appeal court as fast as the cwb got it to court in the first place????

I always marvel at how quickly these things get to court and yet it takes 3 plus years to convict anyone else.

Comment

And does it even matter. I think the government is able to pass C-18 despite what the Judge said.

Comment

So this "judge" says that there needed to be more consultation and debate right?

How are you supposed to consult, debate, plan, or organize something if the cwb decided to go pout in the corner? Do you have to wait until they stop crying and come to the table?

This is a bad decision in favor of a bad management group and their friends.

It's almost as if they knew a couple of months ago that if they didn't play ball with the gov't that some judge would make this determination.

Comment

Their goal has been nothing more than embarrass Ritz firstly and then the Cons. govt.

That's it.

It's all been about politics.

Ritz and the cons thought this was going to be a no contact game,

but now, after he just drilled into the corner boards and took a high stick to the chicklets,

they'll finally realize that it's a real game and they better put their shoulder pads on and mouth gaurds in.

Going with their first line instead of the fourth line would be a good start.

Game on boys.

Givem the wood Ritzzy!

Think Bobby Clarke in the 72 Canada/Soviet series.

Comment

And how much debate do you need. In our neighborhood it has been debated for 20 years.

Comment

This wouldn't be the first time that a judge read something into a law or a constitutional principle that otherwise did not exist, and it's usually done to advance some particular political agenda.

Comment

Fransisco is right all the judge did is muddy the water and placate his fellow Manitobans so he could go home at night. This should be over turned on appeal.

Comment

What's wrong with a vote boys and girls?

Comment

Nothing I_F is wrong with a vote witha legimate voters' list.

And all farmers should vote not just those witha permit book.

All farmers are affected by the CWB and the value,transportation, delivery etc. of their grain.

Comment

The ruling will be overturned. This is just a speed bump. I dont think there needs to be a vote. The fed election gave the conservatives all the mandate they needed to make the board voluntary. If we had to have a vote it should be done like a corporate model. Vote with acres. How many acres do you farm, thats how many votes you get. The old lady in the old folks home who has 80ac should not have the same number of votes as the farmer who farms a couple thousand. But they each of 1 permit book. It is rediculous.

Comment

WHAT'S WRONG WITH A VOTE? NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO VOTE ON WHAT I DO WITHIN MY BUSINESS! WHY, WHY DOES ANYONE THINK THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT? TELL ME NOW! DON'T TROT OUT ANY BS ABOUT PRICES OR PRICE CUTTNG. JUST TELL ME WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT.

I'M SHOUTING IN CASE YOU'RE DEAF I_F.

Comment

WHAT'S WRONG WITH A VOTE? NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO VOTE ON WHAT I DO WITHIN MY BUSINESS! WHY, WHY DOES ANYONE THINK THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT? TELL ME NOW! DON'T TROT OUT ANY BS ABOUT PRICES OR PRICE CUTTNG. JUST TELL ME WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT.

I'M SHOUTING IN CASE YOU'RE DEAF I_F.

Comment

You would think after messing up three times the
                            gov would have got their plan figured out.
                            Apparently not. It will get political and not sure
                            the cons have the stones to move ahead. Sure
                            hope I am wrong. Listening to mr weber talk
                            about right now here in Saskatoon. Not
                            encouraging at all.

Comment

I could hear ya, yelling at him from here! Braveheart... And I agree with ya, but you are'nt going to change this type of collective thinken, these CWB'ers have. We dual market supporters are born (genetically right). These SINGLE DESK fairy tale believers have been (genetically modified to the left). So you see they really can't help themselves, for imposing themselves on others...They just can't let go of that cozy feelin a compulsary collective offers them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...