• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Prices For Wheat & Barley Go Up on Aug 1st?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green valley: I think our prices for adverse affect and loss of use reflect the strong influence of our surface rights group. If you look at the Farmers Advocate area charts for annual rents you will see the area SE of Red Deer to Threehills has some of the highest prices (our main area)? We have a very strong and active surface rights group that encourages sharing info and aiding and assisting SRB challenges. We have a high "pattern" due to compensation challenges at the Surface Rights board.
    Our high adverse affect is a direct result of a surface rights board decision obtained by one of our members.
    Recent annual rental agreements suggest the "pattern" needs to move upward? A recent settlement (through a SRB mediation process) resulted in $2800 adverse and $585/ac loss of use. This was one of our board members land. We are in the process of another negotiation that hopefully will be at least that good (if not better!). Because we share that information within the group.....the "pattern" will continue to go up.
    The loss of use figure of $450 was based on a crop rotation of cereal,cereal, canola....and was a fairly accurate reflection of prices and general yields at the time. Prices have risen since then.
    The companies in this area have created the "pattern" and they all use it and are very willing to use it. We have been able to have a uniform "pattern" (and indeed a rising pattern) because of an informed membership willing and able to challenge compensation at the surface rights board? We are not the only surface rights group in the province getting better returns on oil field activity on our land. Pembina-Warburg SRG get some very strong prices, as an example? There is power in numbers and co-operation. (we have 1400 members)

Comment

Incidently.....our group (Alberta Surface Rights Group) has had to divert so much of our efforts over the last few years fighting the Alberta government over property rights, that it is ridiculous!
      The land grab bills (19, 24, 50, 36) all were designed to take away your property rights for the interests of big multi-national companies.
      We have lobbied government, we have spent time and money holding public information meetings, we have been consumed with getting this legislation rescinded! We have had some success and hopefully more in the future, but it has really taken a toll on our original purpose which was: "to educate, inform and assist our membership on surface leases, pipeline and transmission lines, annual rental reviews, liability issues.
      From a personal perspective the bread and butter negotiating stuff is what I enjoy doing.....I don't like having to fight an industry bought government, bent on stealing our property! Unfortunately that is the situation in Alberta right now.
      We must bring this government back under control......or replace them.

Comment

Thanks for inf, will check Farmer Advocate for more inf. Beside I figure use my math, use highest yielding 5 yr plan, 60 bus canola, 100 bus cps wheat, 60 bus canola, 100 bus cps wheat and last one 60 bus canola, after net expense would be 420/ ac. If any over 500/ac net return, they must be pretty good. Use USA crop production yield. lol.

Comment

What the **** are you talking about hobby?

That was all about the old topic of the cwb
          morphing into a private brokerage house that could
          facilitate the needs of everyone.

My point being that this will never happen until a
          bunch of big wig ag officials figure it out for
          themselves but i doubt it will happen.

As far as someone who is completely addicted to
          the markets,do you really think i don't want to
          market my own grain?

Comment

Cotton, apoloiges, I misread the context of the thread. I really thought you would be in favour of doing your own marketing. I took your quote literally and after Parsley offered to do a little grunt work, the statement struck me as a defeatest attitude that some farmers will continue to carry. Next time I will read posts gooder!(better).

Comment

Green valley: It is NEVER net! It is always based on gross. This was established a long time ago at the Surface Rights Board. If some landman is telling you net.....he is lying to you. They even teach gross return in the land agent courses!

Comment

Will see, I will find out for myself.

Comment

ASRG, just called Farmer Advocate and ur
                  statement is true. Yes land man while
                  ago lied to me. Looking forward as more
                  Annual Compensation Review coming and
                  will use gross based instead of net
                  based. Wow maybe break 350/ac barrier, I
                  think it may. Thanks again.

Comment

ASRG, just called Farmer Advocate and ur
                    statement is true. Yes land man while
                    ago lied to me. Looking forward as more
                    Annual Compensation Review coming and
                    will use gross based instead of net
                    based. Wow maybe break 350/ac barrier, I
                    think it may. Thanks again.

Comment

Green valley: How can you tell if a landman is lying to you......his lips are moving!
                      Now that isn't completely true...but remember this: The land man isn't working for you. His job is to get the cheapest deal possible....in fact if he isn't bringing home the bacon...he's gone!
                      I have taken the land agent course and it is unbelievable what is taught there. A very biased view about landowners and how to deal with them (screw them).
                      Your best bet when dealing with a land agent is to know your yields and prices. You can back this up with reciepts/crop insurance measurements/ local commodity prices/ and most IMPORTANT....talking to your neighbors!
                      As I said earlier: the "pattern" east of Red Deer for adverse affect is $2200. This is the oil companies number that they are trying to establish....it is a low ball figure....some farmers have got more. Because the companies want to protect their "pattern" low price often extra money for adverse affect and loss of use can be negotiated as a "land consideration" or a "special consideration"! I've seen dozens of these little sweetheart deals.....just make sure you get it in an addendum for future reviews!
                      Incidently, I'm helping a friend today do an annual rental review (3 acre CBM site). The company is offering the "pattern" for this area of $2200 adverse and $450/ac loss of use. We have already told them that won't work......asking $3000 adverse and $550/ac loss of use....Probably settle for $2800 adverse $525/ac loss of use....if not off to the SRB!
                      I think you said adverse affect for your area was $1900...ask the landman how come so much cheaper than east of Red Deer....or for that matter at Warburg, Buck Lake, etc. (which is also $2200)?
                      It might be worth your while to contact the Warburg-Pembina Surface rights Group? A couple of examples from their spring 2010 newsletter:

*3.51 acre surface site in hay at Rocky Rapids. Rent was $1900 increased to $4300.
                      *3.56 acre wellsite, busshland, Buck Creek rent was $2200 increased to $3650.

Karl Zajes is the president and assists land owner members negotiate deals. Lifetime membership is $50.
                      Believe me Karl knows his stuff...and he always wins at the SRB!
                      If you want his contact info email me at: albertasurfacerights@gmail.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...