• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Carbon Offsets... Big Problems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Carbon Offsets... Big Problems

The Canadian Press

Date: Wednesday Nov. 23, 2011 8:59 AM ET

EDMONTON — Alberta's large greenhouse gas emitters annually claim $60 million in rebates for carbon offset projects that may not work, Alberta's auditor general said Tuesday.

Merwan Saher says the province is to blame because, despite an earlier warning, it is still not setting proper rules and directions on how offsets are to be quantified and verified.

"We expected more and better guidance to be in place," Saher told a news conference accompanying the release of his latest report.

His agency flagged the concerns in a report earlier this year.

"If the (emissions reduction) framework is to be respected, there has to be evidence this offset is element is well under control."

A spokesman for Environment Minister Diana McQueen says they have accepted Saher's recommendations and are working to implement them.

Carbon offsets are a way for large emitters to meet emissions-intensity targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Large facilities that emit more than 100,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide or more a year must limit the intensity of those emissions.

Those that go over the limit can make good by either paying into a fund to fight climate change or go on the open market and buy carbon offsets.

These offsets are paid directly to anyone taking steps to reduce emissions, like for a wind farm, or to farmers with more environmentally friendly tillage practices.

But Saher said an audit found the offset system in regulatory disarray, raising the question of whether the offsets being claimed actually occurred.

He said the rules and guidance aren't clear for the large emitters, for the offset project developers, or for the people who verify the offsets took place.

The government, he said, doesn't have one standard formula for how large emitters are to estimate or measure the emissions. Instead it tells them to choose from four different measurement formulas and five different calculation formulas.

The government still hasn't given a clear definition on what evidence is needed to support an offset claim for tillage, even though $24 million in tillage offset credits were claimed by large companies in 2009, he said.

When guiding companies on how to develop offset projects, the government gives out a list of calculations and criteria but doesn't make clear when and how they are to be applied, he said.

Opposition Alberta Liberal critic Hugh MacDonald said it's time the government got it right.

"Our national and our international reputation is at stake," said MacDonald.

"I hope the Ministry of Environment works on this starting tomorrow morning and straightens this out."

Danielle Smith, leader of the Wildrose Party, says the findings raise the question of what else is going wrong on environmental assessment.

"The government is spending $2 billion through their carbon capture and storage fund," said Smith.

"If we can't even measure whether or not we're having success in this program, how are we supposed to know we're getting any value for money for that $2 billion?"

Saher also reported Tuesday that the province is making satisfactory progress in monitoring standards in long-term care facilities.

But he urged the government to complete service agreements with facility operators to make sure the government gets proper information on what's being done for those in care.

He said Alberta Health Services is making progress on the care standards, "but it hasn't yet been able to demonstrate it has in its five zones a uniform and consistent method of inspection."

Saher also said he wants government-owned ATB Financial to provide evidence that its risk-control measures are working properly under the new banking system it put in place this fall.

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20111123/alberta-carbon-offsets-monitoring-111123/#ixzz1fUGRIkma

The Alberta system of making regulations... then forcing participation...in these government programs... is NOT market driven as they state.

I don't know who they think they are fooling!!!

What about Saskatchewan?

Comment

In talking to an Aggragator, I was told that there isn't a program in place in Saskatchewan yet, and that they will not get to claim retroactive carbon credits. I think he knew what he was talking about. I personally had delayed claiming untill this summer so haven't been paid yet. Some of the reading I did as to the criterion and values used to determine the credits, appeared to me to have been done by a bureaucrat rather than anyone with knowledge of agronomy.

I think the whole thing is a farce especially the retroactive credits, how can some years old tillage practice have any significant effect on future emissions??

Comment

The whole carbon off-set scheme is a giant SCAM and has been from day one. A big ponzi SCAM inflicted on a gullible population. The sooner that this baloney is terminated the better.

Comment

Well said, Wilagro.

Comment

THIS CARBON OFFSET is a scam. Selling
            your credits sos others kin keep pollutin,
            really, really, really, makes no cents at
            all! Whats the difference, takin the cash
            sos others kin pollute, not you. STOP THE
            POLLUTING is what makes cents.........

Comment

For sure it's a scam, I am going to march right
              over to my big grain farmer neighbour and tell
              him it's wrong to take that $50,000!!!

Comment

This whole carbon capture deal is sort of a joke. At one time they tried to float the idea that they should put a carbon tax on a cow!....how about a person?.....especially people who like beer and chilli!
                Instead of trying to solve what might be a real pollution problem from cars and coal fired plants and the tarsands....lets come up with a silly scheme where we pay out a bunch of money for a phony scam! In Alberta we are going to spend in excess of $30 Billion over the next twenty years to capture and store C02 in the ground. It makes absolutely no sense financially and to make it feasible we had to steal the landowners real property! In addition we will take all the liability when the C02 leaks into and destroys the fresh water aquifers!
                hmmmm....I think I'd rather pay a few farmers some money to pretend we are actually doing something....or maybe hand out free "beano"...to cows and humans alike!

Comment

Yep, I would have to agree with wilagro and burbert on this one. How writing a cheque solves the problem is beyond me.

The smarter way would be to give the polluter penalties for not meeting specific targets and tax credits if they do. By implementing the proper greenhouse gas reduction equipment in a plant or factory you can not only create new green jobs but have a resellable technology that you could sell globally.

A made in Canada solution. Buying notill acres in western Canada isn't solving the problem.

Instead they give engine companies incentives for the tier 4 engines. Farmers have reduced their greenhouse gases by over 75 percent just by using onepass seeding. I doubt all the money spent on engine technology will reduce greenhouse gases by as much as just the way farmers changed their farming practices. My fuel bill might not be down but my fuel consumption has been reduced by changing farming practices.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...