• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulse elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulse elections

I got that email too. Is it just me or is Vandenberg
    running not a huge conflict of interest?

The guy is a pulse researcher who receives millions
    of dollars of research funds from the SPG research
    budget every year.

Does he have to excuse himself from any discussion
    that deals with money?

Lets see, do we increase our budget to increase
    access to world markets or do we spend more on
    researching new lentil varieties?

Lets see do we spend more money quantifying the
    health benefits of including pulses in North
    American diets or do we spend more on researching
    new lentil varieties.

Don't get me wrong, Dr. Vandenberg has been
    extremely important to the pulse industry, but in
    my opinion he should stay at arms length from the
    board of directors.

LEP, I too was wondering the same thing about Vandenberg?

Received my ballot the other day and it had four names on it, the above three plus Cynthia Edwards. Has she dropped out of the race?

Comment

No, Cynthia hasn't dropped out. The "three amigos"
      appear to be running on a slate together.

Comment

I thought the same thing and voted accordingly.I do not like being told who I have to vote for.Two of the three have had a go as directors and I think it is time to maybe let others try if they so wish.

Comment

As far as "who I have to vote for", my understanding is this is an election and the different candidates will have different views. I want to know what the thinking is. I for one was concerned about the goings on at spg this spring. I pay alot of levy to spg but I have been happy about how its been spent. I do know the lentil varieties that I helped pay for are a lot different that what I started with and I wouldnt have made near the money without them.

Comment

Which candidates will make this motion at
            the board table:

"I move that pulse checkoffs must legislatively be
            made voluntary".

Ask each one publicly
            Pars

Comment

When are RR peas coming?

Comment

RR peas will arrive just as soon as the food
                scientists fulfill their contracts corroborating the
                specific benefits of RR peas in the manufacture
                of baby food, along with the recipes.

Thought bomb for you this morning, compliments
                of Parsley

Comment

The impending acceptance of RR wheat should help speed that along.

Comment

GMO pulses are already well advanced in development in South America, India and China. In Canada we have done nothing on this front and are leaning heavily and almost exclusively on the fine efforts and success of CDC's conventional breeding programs.

We have grown to be the world's largest exporter of pulse crops and it is no secret that the countries that import these crops would rather grow more themselves.

Will we be able to maintain our competitive position globally in Pulse production by maintaining the status quo? That is the billion dollar question for the future of pulse production in Canada.

Comment

Had the same question myself when the ballots came out. So after a few calls e-mails and face to faces, this is what I have pieced together.

All is just opinion and rumour, I don't know if some or any is true. So take these thoughts for what you paid for them.

Something happened this summer where The Chair Purcell and exec director Patterson were forced out. All I can get out of anyone is "bad governance" Which I take to mean internal fight

Something about Sask Pulse wanting more seats at table of Pulse Canada.

One faction wants to move Pulse Canada to Saskatoon. because Sk. has by far the most dollars in. I'm not even sure which faction.

One faction wants to spend more on varieties and farm traits, one faction on end users and consumers.

Big division over # of processors on board v a farmer run funded board.

Agree with thoughts above about Vandenburg. Guy is a genius and great breeder, would probably be in conflict over half the time so why take a spot? maybe be an advisor? They could use a guy with his mental horsepower, but don't give him a vote.

My votes will go to Burr, Moehn and the lady from Nokomis.

www.pulseelection.com

I hope to call those running and see if they can tell me anything not in Bios

Hope all this helps, The real story should come out at pulse days in Saskatoon this Jan. those paying the bills should get the real story.

additional disclaimer. All the above is rumour and all or none may not be true

Comment

gustgd

Thanks for the info. Always appreciate your sensible posts.
                        I too have reservations about having Bert on the board
                        He's a brilliant guy but it doesn't make sense to me that he should be on the board as a board member.Some boards, the Seed Growers for example, have advisors from the Crop Developement Centre and the provincial government who are at all meetings except for in camera sessions. Maybe Bert already sits in at board meetings.
                        Right now , unless I am convinced otherwise, I probably won't vote for Bert.
                        I am not as optimistic as you about the real story coming out at Crop Production Week. It's been pretty hush hush to date. If the issues are the ones you mentioned above then I think they are issues worth discussing in the larger forum.

Comment

Gust-you are partially correct, but those that want a strong viable bredding program (our number one priority and number one investment) also want a strong federal organization in Pulse Canada. For some reason, and it is never been talked about at SPG board table, the gang of 3 think SPG directors want to stop breeding. This is rediculous. In the 6 years i have been on the board we have supported the CDC fully in every single request they have made in 6 years. We built facilities (the Pulse Lab), purchased land for their use, purchased equipment for their use AND funded the breeding program. Now they want a seat at the table for more control??? Totally insane and Bert will have so many conflict of interest issues in any research investment that it does not make sense.

We need new blood on the board not some old guard who thinks they are somehow more qualified, after years of being off the board, to run the organization then the very qualified exsisting board. The budget has doubled since Moen and Buhr left the board.

I can not say enough about the Pulse Canada. SPG invests about 1 million dollars in PC each year. SPG is about 30% of the investment and is second largest contibuter AFTER the federal government. WE are the largest non govt contributer at 66% in the last audited statements. Yes we are the largest, but we have to realize this is a federal organization and we have to give and take to other orgs so we can go to Ottawa unified. The amount of funds that the team at PC is able to leverage from the feds is unreal. We are small orgs in the big picture and must leverage every dollar we can and ensure it is invested soundly. The gang of 3 want to move it to Saskatoon, and have stated publicly. When questioned they do not have a response and feel it is "better". IN a process such as that you will lose the bulk of your staff and rip the organization apart. For what? So they can tell their cronies they moved it? Organizations such as PC, involved in global affairs need to be in an international airport. They need to be close to the head of the grain industry, and as much as we do not like it, Winnipeg is still the major grain center. They are able to network with export oriented people. Saskatoon is a science center, not policy, which is the bulk of PC work.

I am making a single vote and ask others to vote for only Cynthia Edwards. By default, 2 of the gang of 3 will get elected. But ensureing Cynthia is elected we have the opportunity to have someone new and young at the table.

Dave

Comment

Incedently, there is a movement to reform the constition of PC to increase the number of SPG seats at the table and we basically will have control of the board. As the largest funder we have control anyway irregardless of the number of seats. Sometimes being the largest in a industry requires one to eat a little himble pie and work with others to acheive your goals.

RR Peas have been discussed all along and if markets accept them it can be done. Genome Mapping is being considered as a close option for improved bredding.

Comment

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/index.jsp?
                              p=board

Has this Federal Board put more money into the
                              producers' pockets? Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...