• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS Bill Gehl directing wheat research for us?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS Bill Gehl directing wheat research for us?

Dear Charlie,

Is it possible that someone can be so confused?

COUNTRADICTIONS... Imports are allowed today without restriction. Why would outside suppliers win supply contracts for Canadian foods... if as the CWB claims the end of the 'single desk' means lower prices in western Canada?

As well, Domestic feed barley prices have been HIGHER than the CWB offers... at times... also higher than Malt Barley as well!

Is Bill saying higher prices for wheat, barley and durum are bad???

NEWS RELEASE Canadian Wheat Board Alliance
    FOR USE: October 31, 2011

End of Wheat Board means end of local food

(Winnipeg) Speaking to several hundred farmers and others who attended a rally in front of the Canadian Wheat Board building in downtown Winnipeg on Friday, Bill Gehl, a Saskatchewan farmer and chairperson of the non-partisan farm group the Canadian Wheat Board Alliance (CWBA) said "local food advocates should be concerned about the end of the Canadian Wheat Board."
    Gehl went on to explain "today Canadians can be confident that the grain in all the bread, pasta, and most of the beer they consume is still grown by Canadian farmers. However, if Harper succeeds in killing our Wheat Board, private corporations will then control our basic food stocks and will simply buy the cheapest grain they can from any source."
    A board member of the Western Grains Research Foundation, Mr. Gehl was speaking from his experience growing durum wheat for pasta and hard red spring wheats for bread. "With the Wheat Board millers and other food processors must come to our farmer-run Board to source Canadian grain" Gehl explained.
    Wheat Board respects customer opposition to genetically modified grain
    "Our Wheat Board has built its reputation on providing the highest quality grain to customer specifications. That is why the introduction of genetically modified wheat into western Canada was halted a few years ago. Our customers in Canada and around the world told us they did not want it. We know that with the end of the Australian Wheat Board two years ago, agro-chemical companies are now actively promoting genetically modified bread wheat to Australian grain farmers."
    Equitable treatment for smaller domestic processors lost
    "Our Board also has a policy of treating all processors equitably so smaller domestic processors are not disadvantaged by their size. Without the Board smaller processors will be forced to seek the cheapest grains to offset size differentials and the ability of their larger competitors to obtain lower bulk pricing from private grain brokers. This means lower prices for farmers and lower quality for consumers."
    The human feedlot: lowest quality grain for human consumption without the Wheat Board
    "In Canada we have already seen how this works with non-board animal feed grains. Whenever the domestic price of Canadian feed grain moves up, the big cattle feedlots start to import waste feed stocks of distiller's grain including genetically modified corn from elsewhere. Without the Wheat Board human food processors will be free to import lower quality grains from the United States and Eurasia which are not subject to our high quality standards and blend them with local grain. These foreign grains are not grown from our own publically funded and developed varieties and many of them are grown in the heavily polluted lands surrounding the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the heart of Eurasia's wheat belt. A lot of Europe's grain is cheap because it is heavily infested with fungal diseases. In fact a lot of Canadian Page 2 of 2
    durum wheat now goes into Europe to blend off fusarium infected local durum. Without the Wheat Board this trade could well be reversed."
    Quality control becomes meaningless
    Gehl warned: "our quality control system becomes meaningless when commercial interests are free to source grain from anywhere in the world to blend into our food stuffs. We have already seen how fragile our food system is when people were dying from contaminated meat a few years ago and our Minister of Agriculture made jokes about it." Gehl concluded by saying: "aside from giving farmers a greater share of the food dollar, our Wheat Board puts good locally grown food on the table for all Canadians."
    - 30 -
    For further information call: Bill Gehl 306-537-3899, or 306-543-7875
    Or log on to www.cwbafacts.ca

This jackass should be taken through a Walmart Supercenter on national tv and be forced to read the grocery labels!!

Comment

This propaganda machine is obviously well financed and very experienced.
      Scary how comfortable they are at the level of untruths.

Comment

Bill is the NFU director at WGRF. He has one vote around the table. He has had his pee-pee slapped.

WGRF has not/will not get involved with the marketing debate.

WGRF mandate is research and varietal development. Now with endowment fund doing a lot of agronomy work. Work that's hard to commercialize yet will make/save farmers millions.

Comment

In a year of low quality in the 1990s the CWB
          issued an order that all top grades of wheat were
          for export only and only lower grades were
          allowed for consumers in Canada.

Monopoly supporters are outrageous and have
          no shame.

Comment

I saw this release on the CWB Alliance Facebook page so I challenged their logic with a comment on their wall. Someone wrote back with even more ridiculous ideas - saying I didn't know what I was talking about. So I posted four more comments - all to drive home the point that they really don't know what they're talking about and this idea if bringing wheat from Chernobyl to Canada is just plain stupid (I was gentler than that though).

Within half an hour all my posts were removed and I have been blocked from commenting further on their Facebook wall.

Either they don't want to argue or they don't want their followers to see that they really don't have clue.

Probably both.

Comment

Dear John,

Do you have that info avaliable to post here?

Would be interesting to see the exchange of ideas on marketing!

Comment

Propaganda techniques continued:

"<i>Ad hominem
                A Latin phrase that has come to mean attacking
                one's opponent, as opposed to attacking their
                arguments.
                Ad nauseam
                This argument approach uses tireless repetition
                of an idea. An idea, especially a simple slogan,
                that is repeated enough times, may begin to be
                taken as the truth. This approach works best
                when <b>media sources are limited or controlled
                by the propagator.

Comment

"Bill is the NFU director at WGRF" Really? care to substantiate that? I've never heard of this person being an NFU director.

Comment

http://www.westerngrains.com/lib/WGRFAnnualR
                    eport2010.pdf

WGRF 2010 annual report - Page 11

<A
                    href="http://www.westerngrains.com/lib/WGRFAn
                    nualReport2010.pdf">WGRF 2010 Annual
                    Report</A>

Comment

Ah, he isn't an NFU director - he is a director of WGRF who happens to represent the NFU.

Comment

Grassfarmer are we arguing semantics? Bill
                        Ghel is the guy the NFU has sent to the
                        table.

Comment

Gehl is a frigging retard but leftwing morons like
                          Bruce Johnstone eat up his unsubstantiated
                          drivel like moses himself spouted it from the
                          mountain top. It's hard to believe that these
                          people aren't on welfare .

Comment

http://www.nfu.ca/board.html

You'll have to forgive me. I had thought when the NFU sent someone to the table. Amongst the 26 board members (not including youth)they would have the bench strength to send someone who influenced policy. Guess not!

Don't get me wrong Bill is a good guy, in fact we sometimes agree around the board table. Usually when it comes to not randomly spending farmer dollars. It would come from being from organizations that don't have checkoff dollars.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...