• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Director Henry Vos Resigns from District 1

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Director Henry Vos Resigns from District 1

October 26, 2011

Dear Fellow Farmers and Friends,

Today I made the very difficult decision to resign effective immediately as the director of District 1 of the Canadian Wheat Board. In a letter to CWB Chairman Allen Oberg, I expressed my deep regret in coming to the realization that I can no longer serve my constituents and Western Canadian grain farmers in general from within the organization.

Driven by a lifetime of commitment and passion for agriculture, I sought a directorship with the CWB because I wanted to bring about change for the benefit of farmers. I fully understood the CWB’s mandate and tried to improve its programs and services to farmers under that mandate. I saw many opportunities to provide farmers more freedom, flexibility and transparency, however, was in many cases treated as though my ideas would cause the destruction of the organization.

During my terms as director, I saw the decisions of many directors driven by hard-line ideology rather than business acumen. When those directors continually used pool account money to justify and support their views for a single desk, I found this “ideological bullying” unacceptable.

The CWB’s decision this week to launch a legal challenge against the Federal Government over the proposed changes to the CWB ACT, when it is clear to everyone that it will not change the outcome and would not change the timing of the government action, is simply wrong. A previous decision to suspend a director for simply expressing his opinion about the August “information meeting” is simply wrong. And the decision to allow a motion on the table to change the bylaw requiring a 2/3 majority to remove a director is simply wrong. Such decisions and other discussions that have taken place around the CWB table are not about doing what is best for commercial farmers—they are the decisions taken by “ideological bullies.”

What is happening at the CWB today is, in a word, wrong. To continue to work within the existing dysfunctional CWB board would be a disservice to those who voted me for me as their director. It would also be a disservice to all the farmers who want change and an option of using a voluntary CWB.

Furthermore, at this time protecting the single desk “at all costs”, is in my view, destroying future opportunities, harming the reputation of the farmers, demoralizing staff and creating uncertainty with customers and the industry, all of which will cost farmers money.

I believe the Government of Canada’s efforts to change the CWB are in the best interests of Western Canadian grain producers and I will support their efforts and the efforts of other organizations and individuals committed to bring about positive change for Western Canadian farmers.

Meanwhile, I thank you for support and understanding.

Sincerely,

Henry Vos

Finally, a spine!!
    Waiting for same from Jeff Nielsen!

Comment

Yep the turncoats are abandoning ship.

Comment

He did the right thing.

Comment

Congratulations Mr. Vos, I’m sure it was a tough decision, but you stood up for what was right.

I am sure that Mr. Oberg thinks what he is doing is right, but the persistence is getting to be a little over the top. It reminds me of that Monty Python Movie where the guy has both his legs and arms cut off in a sword dual but he wants to fight. Francisco, no something like that with subtitles would be hilarious.

http://youtu.be/mjEcj8KpuJw

watch from about 3 minutes on.

Comment

Pool accounts are getting smaller by the day, sure
            glad I didn't give these thieves and more grain this
            fall. Last years crop final payment might be a bill.
            Good job Henry , you speak for allot of farmers
            with your stepping down.

Comment

Good job henry. Glad to see someone is standing up for what is right.

This lawsuit will cost us a lot of money for nothing.

Comment

Dear Henry Voss,

As you are aware, Henry, I have been very
                critical of the Board of Directors of the Canadian
                Wheat Board for ever so long.  It's been painfully
                obvious that the CWB cannot be changed from
                within. Ever. 

But, out of the blue, with no fanfare,  you stood
                up to be counted. It doesn't happen often, and
                when it does, it often comes, at the time, at
                personal angst and loss. 

But you stood up. 

It's hard to say a heartfelt thanks on a forum, for
                not only doing what is right, but for establishing
                some semblance of  credibility for the role of
                directors by not working for the staff, or students,
                or government, or for a plum per diem; well,
                Henry, for standing up for ordinary farmers'
                financial interests. 

It's a heartening action for our farm communities,
                for the industry, and for each one of us looking to
                see what farming  can be.  

In appreciation, Parsley

Comment

Thanks for your service Henry.
                  Thank you for standing up for what is right. I find it unfortunate that the 2 directors who were working on changing the CWB into a valuable organization are marginalized and now in your case resigning because the group of 8 is intent on destroying the CWB. I also appreciate the work, my director, Jeff has done and will support whatever decision he makes regarding his future. I sold almost all my wheat on an EPO last year and have not contracted any this year. I will have to sit on this years production until August because I am not giving these ****** ******** *********** any more of my money so they can spend it working against my intrests. I only have the final payment on 100t in this game.

Comment

I guess I am a bit behind.......Has Jeff Neilson been suspended by the board?

Comment

Need to dig a little deeper re the treatment of Jeff
                      and Henry over the last few weeks. Were they
                      allowed to vote re the legal challenge or were they
                      excluded from discussion leading to the vote. I
                      would suggest there should be some grounds for
                      legal action of the decision to move forward with a
                      legal challenge if the two directors were not
                      allowed full opportunity to be involved in the
                      discussion and the vote. They represent many
                      producers who should be allowed representation on
                      matters when they are spending farmer's money.
                      Don't you just love the CWB concept of democracy.

Comment

Wonder if they will spend a whack of money to try replace mr. vos. Sound ridiculous, well isn't it all!

Comment

Minister Ritz comments on Director Henry Vos from Parliament Hill:

"Even Mr. Oberg’s own directors are resigning because of this recklessmisguided action. Sadly, today was Mr. Vos’s breaking point. Mr. Henry Vos, director of District 1, driven by a lifetime of commitment to agriculture, has been forced to step down and speak out against Mr.Oberg and these actions. Mr. Vos has said that he can no longer serve his constituents and Western Canadian grain farmers from within this organization. Farmers and our government thank him for his tirelesswork to improve the Board’s programs and services for the benefit offarmers. It’s unfortunate that Mr. Vos felt that his only way forward was out from under Mr. Oberg’s control, which he characterized as, and Iquote: ideological bullying. He called the CWB’s decision this week tolaunch a legal challenge simply wrong. Mr. Oberg claims that he wantsto give farmers choice, whereas in fact he only wants to give the farmers who support his overbearing monopoly choice. Our government will give every single farmer in Western Canada choice. We will ensure Western Canadian farmers the freedom to choose thetiming, buyer and price that suits their business plan. We will extend to Western Canadian farmers the same rights as their cousins in Ontario...."

Thanks Henry for serving our farm well over the past years. Much appreciated! Job well done! Thanks again.

Comment

Who has been representing Alberta's interests at the CWB BOD table while Jeff and Henry were on time outs?

Unfortunate AB voted in a left wing Premier in Alberta - you may have had some recourse, Provincially.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...