• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barley County AB Barely Commission Sept 2011

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question in my mind is how western Canada finances and carries research and development including plant breeding. Lots of models around the world. Australia (GRDC/plant breeding centers), Europe, North America (wheat and barley), north America (corn, soybeans, canola), Ukraine, Russia, China, India, etc. Each has there own approach.

The change in western Canada has been the move from public breeding/R&D to a hybrid of public and private.

Back at you. What is the R&D model that western Canada should be following? Specific to organics, is USDA doing the right thing in investing R&D dollars into this industry?

Comment

Charlie, I can relate to your concern with barley. When my dad farmed malt barley was the most profitable crop he grew. These were of course pre canola days. But, those old varieties would yield, hold quality, etc.

Now in my time, I have poorer yields. Acceptance for malt is literally a shell game. Fusarium is rampant. The varieties just don't seem to have vigour.

I spoke to a breeder about my concerns. His take was that the CWB system had not allowed the proper price signals to come through and that had left many stakeholders reluctant to invest in barley. He meant all the way down the value chain.

Comment

Agree with you Braveheart. Same concerns.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...