• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ergot

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ergot

some around ,any strategies to minimize.
    other than a big wind to knock it out on ground.
    bin field edges separate, etc.

I thought the cwb was supposed to develop a program like they do with fusarium every year.

They say they are not sure how big the problem is. Well its big.

And all along I thought the cwb was looking after my interests. Number one beautiful red wheat grading "sample" because of three kernals of ergot in a two pound sample.

Ergot can be cleaned out and I pay cleaning fees - just don't get the support from the cwb I was expecting.

Comment

Maybe you should ask Mr Ritz to do something bucket

Comment

The majority has spoken. Oberg is supposed to be protecting us from the unfair grading practices of the evil grain companies.

Oh, I forgot they only do that for the families with kids working at the cwb that have fusarium.

Comment

The CWB sits on the grain standards and are the biggest pain to get things changed. Does it make bread? Yes No should be how wheat is graded. Wheat grading is stupid.

Comment

Ergot is poisonous and you so-called farmers should know that by now.

Do you want ergot infested flour mixed into your bread? Do want ergot infested grain fed to your cows so that their tails and toe-nails fall off?

The CWB gets blamed for every evil that hits the prairies. I suppose they also made it rain over Saskatchewan and flood them out as well. Grain grading standards aren't set by the CWB either. If grain is not graded then it is nothing but animal feed...geez you guys are bloody well getting out of control. I suppose once you are FREE of the CWB controls any wheat you grow will grade #1...yep that's the ticket...Paradise on Earth.

Comment

I have bush and waste sloughs throughout each quarter so I combined the outside round and any low spots that were flooded (poorer crop surrounded by allot of barnyard grass, some foxtail barley and some witch grass). This sample came off with 0.04% ergot which puts it at a 3....any more would put it at feed. The rest of the field went 0.02 or less which kept it a #1 and I binned it separately.

If your good sample is 0.02 which is borderline and you have a significant area of weaker crop with grasses growing in it, I would cut them out.

If your land is flat and all the same, good luck as I don't know if cutting the edge out would gain anything.

Comment

Let me fix that for you Willy:

</i> Fusarium is poisonous and you so-called
                farmers should know that by now. 

Do you want Fusarium infested flour mixed into
                your bread? Do want Fusarium infested grain fed
                to your cows so that their tails and toe-nails fall
                off? </i>

See the problem now?

Comment

My understanding is ergot limit on #1 is .01 not .02.
                  It's not practical to colour sort to a #1 grade. comment
                  from grain buyer today was that there are going to be
                  logistical issues to sourcing the better grades of wheat
                  as cleaning will be need to be done ahead of delivery.

Comment

Do you suppose that the problem isn't cleaning ergot out; but is what you do with the screenings; that have very very few uses. That makes it more economical (for everyone except the farmer who grew it) to just buy it; as is; and outside of blending with relatively ergot free; pretty much leave it as it is.

Comment

If you can make a #2 then not worth the cost or
                      difficulty to make a #1. You either effect throughput
                      or possibly clean twice. Lots in our area on the
                      tolerance line so little opportunity to blend. Question
                      here will be how long frost will stay away and how
                      much better grades will be out there.

Comment

Thanks for correcting my error, Craig.

Comment

just got the word. ALL of our durum will be cleaned from a #3-#5 CWAD account ergot to a #1 CWAD. Cost to us 40 cents/bushel. Im satisfied..

Comment

Maybe next time Oberg has a party with my
                            money for the NDP caucus we could get the
                            caterer to serve it as an appetizer . Would do the
                            whole country a world of good especially if he
                            invited the communist party as well.

Comment

Willgro, do some homework! Ergot floats, all milled wheat gets wetted as part of the milling process, i.e. run through water. I'm pretty confident that I'm not going to get ergot poisoning from a loaf of bread.

If I'm going to have a wheat board elilminating my options, they better damn well be representing my best intrests. That includes using their godly powers and limitless supply of the best wheat in the world to smooth the ripples of production quality. You see thats the basis of how a pools works. After all I'm not going to get paid anymore for my 0% ergot wheat then I would for .02%, blend the shit out. But that would be adding value to the western wheat market and that's crazzy talk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...