• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MNP Releases Results of the 2011 CWB Producer Plebiscite.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MNP Releases Results of the 2011 CWB Producer Plebiscite.

MNP Releases Results of the 2011 CWB Producer Plebiscite

For immediate release

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2011 - Winnipeg, MB - The results of the 2011 Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) Producer Plebiscite were announced today by Plebiscite Coordinator Ian Craven of MNP LLP.

The outcome of the Plebiscite was as follows:

For wheat:
    22,764 producers (62 per cent of respondents who grew wheat) said they wish to maintain the ability to market all wheat, with the continuing exception of feed wheat sold domestically, through the CWB single-desk system.
    14,059 producers (38 per cent of respondents who grew wheat) said they wish to remove the single-desk marketing system from the CWB and sell all wheat through an open-market system.

For barley:
    6,283 producers (51 per cent of respondents who grew barley) said they wish to maintain the ability to market all barley, both malting/food, with the continuing exception of feed barley sold domestically, through the CWB single-desk system.
    6,014 producers (49 per cent of respondents who grew barley) said they wish to remove the single-desk marketing system from the CWB and sell all barley through an open-market system.

The vote was conducted across the CWB designated area in Western Canada, using a mail-in voting system. The participation rate for returned ballots was 56 per cent (55 per cent of those who grew wheat, 47 per cent of those who grew barley, and 60 per cent of those who grew both). The tabulation process identified 183 rejected envelopes that were determined to be invalid, and 301 spoiled ballots. Ballot tabulation was conducted in the presence of scrutineers representing major farm groups.

Details of the results of the 2011 CWB Producer Plebiscite can also be found on the plebiscite website at: cwbvote.ca.

About MNP

MNP is one of the largest chartered accountancy and business consulting firms in Canada, providing client-focused accounting, taxation and consulting advice. National in scope and local in focus, MNP has proudly served individuals and public and private companies for more than 65 years. Through the development of strong relationships, MNP provides organizations with personalized strategies and a local perspective to help them succeed. For more information, visit www.mnp.ca

So 55% of wheat growers replied
    65% of them supported monopoly
    then 31.4% of the designated area (captive serfs)
    are in favour.
    What about all wheat growers in Canada?
    I know, beating a dead horse here.
    Used my ballot to light the garbage, seemed
    appropriate.

Comment

Tom: What are you talking about?...I have the results right in front of me. The CWB vote shows that the farmers who voted chose the single desk for wheat with a 62% vote and barley with a 51% vote. Surely many of those voters are or WERE CONservatives as well so what does that tell you? Your 'silly' topic headline is just dumb.

Oberg has nothing to be ashamed of but you on the other hand have tried to subvert the vote from day one. I would guess that you don't value the democratic process of a producer vote.

Ritz is even worse...he refuses to even consider any move which might sideline his politics and his commitment to a small special interest group looking for an edge for themselves over the general farm population.

Comment

For those who REFUSED to vote...TOUGH BEANS...why didn't you vote? I will never understand the logic of people who don't or won't vote but b**ch about the whole process and the results thereof.

Comment

That's why the conservatives will use their majority to change the legislation. Marketing freedom and choice for all farmers in Canada.

Comment

I found that in order to get use from the ballot
            I had to soak it with white (naphtha) gas, then it would
            burn when I put the tiger torch on it. The "Grain
            Matters" on top of the pile was only scorched.
            Puts out a little heat, but no light.
            Man, the stuff the CWB puts out!

Comment

Wilagro, i didn't vote because the vote doesn't matter. My ballot went to my mp thanking him for supporting my rights in a free and democratic country. End the CWB slavery.

Comment

What you talkin' about Willis? er... Wilagro.
                "The general farm population"
                In what country would that be?
                This gets funnier.

Comment

"a small special interest group" - now that is funny, Wilagro.

Those who have voiced their opposition to the CWB tactics consider this vote to be a waste of farm resources. Highly unlikely they participated in the scheme.

CWB supporters have been dieing to get in on the plebiscite vote, and all they could muster was a split on barley, and a low 60 on wheat.

The reason for graveyard fences and you guys have a lot in common.

Comment

My sons had to send in crop input receipts, land titles and then be vouched for by elevator agent to get a permit book to deliver malt barley, and got no vote. Dead landlord who has not farmed in 25 years got 2 votes. My vote is sitting in my office. 1 vote per 100 tonnes or go home.

Comment

Wilagro: tough beans to you. The minister has
                      the right to establish the question, not Oberg.
                      The minister has the right to establish the voters
                      list, not Oberg. This vote was just a million dollar
                      waste. The government conducted a barley
                      plebiscite a few years back and real farmers
                      clearly voted to end the monopoly. Minister Ritz
                      should remove Oberg and the rest of the
                      directors today.

Comment

I agree that it is the board that has become the 'special interest group'.
                        The " Farmers Templar" will never be able to see the reason for their demise!

Comment

Willy,

The CWB spent every dollar they wanted... to get me to vote.

I refused to participate in this survey because this 'plebicite' survey was neither democratic nor ethical nor representitive of those commercial growers who were to be forced to use the CWB. The survey and how it was handled goes against the CWB's own code of ethics and conflict of interest guidelines. It broke the ministers order telling the CWB to stop promoting the 'single desk'.

As I said earlier in Quebec and Ontario they need at least 75 percent of actual producers to be in favour before this kind of marketing Board is implemented.

Cheers Wilagro... are you swathing or combining yet?

Comment

I'm sure the Kremilin 8 will put a brave face on this , but these kind of results with a stacked voters list and a flawed voting system, is hardly a vote of confidence. I had expected the numbers to be closer to 80% for wheat and 60% for barley.

Comment

62 and 51 percent on this vote is a clear sign for most farmers want open market. They should have split durum and other wheats up also, and also included every western Canadian farmer,
                              what a crock. Jesus Christ sorry for my french but get us some prices now for new crop.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...