• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

harvest heads up

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harvest heads up

After checking weather bug stations in our area
    discover we have are own little micro climate and
    are discovering we have our own little harvest
    issues. I'm at Lacombe, Alberta and we seem to be
    caught in an area of high humidity( still drying wet
    spots from summer). Over the last 2 weeks of hot
    weather we seldom get below 50% humidity and
    only for a few hours. We swathed both some wheat
    and barley to speed up the drying process. What
    we have found is that although we have had no rain
    the bottoms of the swath are wet and remain so
    through the day. I would suspect this will remain
    an issue till we get a hard frost and then quality will
    likely be gone. We are rethinking our harvest
    strategy and will likely leave most crops standing to
    keep grain away from ground. It's been a struggle
    all year . I guess we shouldn't expect harvest to be
    any better

<i>"That, along with increased efficiencies that an
    open market could bring, could translate into
    bigger earnings."</i>

Think about that for a minute.....

Comment

There is dew in the morning here, but by
      afternoon the canola is so dry it isn't measurable.
      (below 5% moisture).

Comment

Hey you Danged Chuck, Quit Chucking my Wood, Would ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lots of people will come out ahead when the single desk is gone, not just Viterra. We will see all sorts of economic activity in all sorts of areas and like Martha Stewart used to say, " that's a good thing". Particularly for those of us who grow board grains.

Comment

Your title is ****ed up. Its not about the CWB's loss. Its about us farmers. You obviously work for the cwb and you job is on the line.

Comment

Kinda sharp for a Sunday night, after a long hot weekend, aren't you, hopper?

Comment

I bet chuck only works for the wheat board indirectly. You can be sure he feels the CWB is good for him; and be even more certain that he would see his position maintained; even when done at the expense of other farmers.
                Thats how it is when you put yourself first, second and every other position thereafter.
                Oh, my guess is that he also derives next to no farm income from CWB sales of common grains. Its all about other issues.

Comment

Actually... it is about the losses the CWB forces on all of us!

bEFORE THE end of the Crow Benefit... the Alfalfa Dehy folks were not in on the subsidised freight to export to Japan. These growers and processors were working to get this "new" 'specialty crop' added to the CROW list so the extra $20 approx. freight they were paying would not be deducted from their Japanese sales revenue.

Finally the gov. fixed the problem. The next sale negotiated our shippers and marketers were told... the price was dropping exactly ... you guessed it... $20/t.

What could we do. Japan was the premium market we counted on!

So it ended up clearly... that the Canadian tax payer was then subsidising Japan... and Western Canadian industry could clearly see what bad policy the Crow truly was.

The CWB is exactly the SAME. And VP Flaten proves that the buyers have clearly told the CWB sales dept. EXACTLY how much discount they demand!

If these same millers/buyers want US milling wheat... they must bid it out of their bins!

And the miller from Great Britian in Winnipeg (Feb 2008) told me to sit on my wheat... and accept the CWB marketing... it was the way it was.

Right in front of several industry leaders... at the lounge after the Grain World wheat presentations... this chap, from Great Britian, told me they had discussed my delema with the CWB... and in so many words...to lump it.

Just who did you say you work for Chuck???

Comment

Seven good days, canola started at 9% and also went to 5%.
                    Wheat the last 4 days was as low as 11%.
                    Humidity was about 30% and temps 30C.
                    Might be the last time in 2011 with such perfect harvest conditions in our area which typically is HUMID!
                    Hope this rain drys off and stays away for weeks.

Comment

you guys have no love for the left wing
                      /NFU

however sitting in a wheat pool committee years ago . one of those guys came in and foretold the future.
                      As far out as we thought he was.
                      everything he predicted has come true.
                      first Sask wheat pool
                      going from co-op to public
                      farmers would lose control of the business
                      check
                      then management proceeded to run it into the ground. (going global )
                      check
                      next step the demise of the wheat board
                      check
                      which would open up the industry to take over buy grain giants.
                      check.
                      now the rise of farmer owned terminals. (which had not happened yet)
                      which filled the vacuum left when the pools disintegrated.
                      farmer participation was reestablished in the handling system .

now with board gone the farmer owned inland terminal days are numbered.
                      a multinational takeover of viterra
                      (has already happened)
                      squeeze out , farmer terminals and special crop processors.
                      check

transformation complete (just as he predicted)

one or two multinationals control the entire system.
                      we are again peasants.

Ah but competition ,will save the day.
                      What competition ? elevators, ports ,
                      sales all in one corporations hands.
                      there is no competition
                      they offer you take.

Too late to stop it now
                      free from the boards tyranny.
                      in exchange for Cargils
                      woo hoo party time

Comment

Sawfly,

Cargil is but one of a number of marketers. Bunge has treated us VERY fairly... a good marketing partner.

Viterra has been fair in dealings with our farm... I do not understand why you demonize them.

If there are large profits to be made in the grain industry... independant grain marketers will meet the opportunities and yes there is even a place for a grower owned coop like both the US and Aussies have counted on to level the field.

Being negative is easy. Doing the right and working to fill the gap the CWB is leaving... is the challenge.

Chairman Oberg has failed us badly. We as you have correctly pointed out, knew this change was comming. The Western Grain Marketing Panel had it exactly right... 15 years ago.

And;
                        Goodale FAILED to implement the most important parts of the Consensus Report.

Now we pay... and the transistion that we always knew must come... the end of the 'single buying desk'... will be more difficult because the 'entitlement' folks (many who are not commercial growers and marketers) have had 15 years to grow very fond of intimidating and scolding us.

The SUN will rise on August 1, 2012!

Comment

Chuck Chuck,

Why do Grain Handlers like to focus on Board Grains? Because its their highest Margin Handle.. Why is that? Why do the Grain Companies make more money handling Wheat and Durum than Canola? In my 15 years working for Grain Co's Agricore, SWP, WIT and a Cargill JV, our focus was always CWB Grains because it paid the best. Why is that?

There is no doubt in my mind that after the CWB is done there will be first a flurry of Agribusiness investment in Canada. Mostly from multinationals that are not here in a big way yet. Then they will spend the next five years blowing their brains out competing for the business. After that period when the dust settles our grain trade will look a lot different. Good or Bad I guess we will wait and see, but one thing I feel confident it won't be any worse.

All these scare tactics from PRO CWB is starting to sound like soldiers in cities with guns... Chuck Chuck you didn't run for the libs at one time did you?

Comment

i think instead of blowing their brains out competing they will just buy up the competition. that's the way it's done nowadays. forget competition and innovation - invest in market power. take a look at the beef industry. two players makes for no competition.

Comment

Wheat at 11 percent and canola at 5 here also. Canola sample not perfect clean but loaded truck has a lot of weight to it. Even plugged up the 9120 rotor 5 times before realized just had to crank up the rpms to 600, I thought it would be so brittle that I tried 450 rpm at first. so good thing did not have a John Deere may have been sitting for a while.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...