• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD news at Viterrra!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOOD news at Viterrra!

Viterra's third-quarter earnings up on agri-products

World-Grain.com, Sept. 7, 2011
    by World Grain Staff

CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA — Viterra Inc. announced on Sept. 7 that net earnings for the nine months ended July 31 were up 176% to C$256 million or 69¢ per share versus C$93 million or 25¢ per share in the same period last year.

Earnings for the third-quarter almost doubled, increasing to C$123 million or 33¢ per share, compared to C$64 million or 17¢ per share for the same period a year ago.

Viterra said the third quarter increase reflects strong contributions from its agri-products operations and solid performance from its grain handling and processing operations. Favorable weather across the Canadian prairies resulted in good growing conditions for this year’s crop and, when combined with healthy commodity prices, motivated growers to invest in agri-products, the company said.

"Viterra has consistently delivered strong financial results for the first nine months of this fiscal year, far exceeding our earnings last year,” Mayo Schmidt, Viterra's president and chief executive officer. “Operationally, we also continue to perform well and in South Australia Viterra recently set a new record for grain shipped through our ports. We continue to strengthen our operational performance around the globe, which is generating higher returns for our shareholders. Looking forward, there is a lot of opportunity for Viterra with a promising harvest in both Western Canada and South Australia, and strong market fundamentals supporting our agri-business. To capitalize on these opportunities and drive value through our integrated worldwide pipeline, Viterra implemented a new global operating model around our three business lines of grain, agri-products and processing. This new model will strengthen and support our strategic vision now and into the future as Viterra continues to provide key agricultural ingredients to a growing world."

Grain handling and marketing's revenues increased due to higher commodity prices, a more established international grain group and higher Australian receivals and shipments following a record crop in South Australia.

The segment generated C$104 million in EBITDA for the quarter compared to C$101 million in the third quarter of last year. On a year-to-date basis, this segment's EBITDA was C$424 million compared to C$284 million a year earlier. The majority of the increase relates to Viterra's Australian operations that contributed C$220.7 million (2010 - C$129.0 million) for the first nine months of the fiscal year due to record receivals, shipments and additional storage and handling revenues. The remaining increase is attributable to strong results from the North American team and from the international grain group which has generated year-to-date EBITDA of C$41 million, after a solid third quarter contribution of C$9 million

Agri-products' revenues increased as a result of robust fertilizer contributions and processing's revenues increased due to solid contributions from the pasta and oat processing businesses, which were purchased in the latter half of fiscal 2010. EBITDA increased over 50% in the third quarter to $162 million compared to $106 million in the corresponding period a year earlier. These positive results were driven by robust fertilizer contributions and timing differences as a result of the late seeding in North America that moved earnings from the second quarter into the third quarter. Fertilizer contributions were robust as market fundamentals continue to support strong demand and pricing.

The Processing segment's EBITDA was C$29 million for the third quarter compared to C $22 million in the same period last year. The increase was due to the new oat processing business purchased in the fourth quarter of last year and stronger pasta margins. Viterra's North American food processing contributed C$23 million (2010 - C$17 million), while the company's Australian malt and global feed operations contributed C$6 million and C$1 million, respectively. On a year-to-date basis, the segment's EBITDA was C$93 million, compared to C$68 million a year earlier. Year over year, the new pasta and oat processing businesses added C$35 million while the Company experienced weaker results from canola processing and feed operations due to short-term challenges in both of these industries. Year to date, the Company's Australian malt operations have contributed C$23 million to EBITDA, which is on par with the previous year.

Viterra remains optimistic that the industry will see relatively strong volumes through the remaining portion of the fiscal year and into fiscal 2012, particularly if weather conditions are favorable into the fall. Strong demand and robust prices are expected to motivate farmers to actively market their grains through the next crop year. The Canadian Wheat Board ("CWB") is forecasting an export target of 18 million tonnes of wheat and barley out of Canada for the upcoming crop year compared to 15.8 million tonnes for the 2011 crop year.

For Viterra's South Australia grain handling operations, the company expects shipments to remain strong into the last quarter of the fiscal year given the significant quantity of grain previously received into the system, the favorable commodity price environment and strong global demand. To complement the 8.5 million tonnes received into the company's system during the first nine months of fiscal 2011, there were approximately 1.2 million tonnes of carry-in stocks from fiscal 2010. The company currently estimates carry-over stocks into fiscal year 2012 for the company's Australian system to range between 1.7 and 2 million tonnes, up from last year due to the record crop produced in the state."

Somehow Viterra's earnings mean nothing to me. They are just another company living off the farmer.

Comment

Cry me a river wilagro.

Viterra provides many services for farmers. Those farmers can choose to use those services, or NOT. Evidently many farmers CHOSE to do business with Viterra. Therefore Viterra's earnings did well. In my mind, that sounds like a good deal for all involved

By contrast, I have never been able to CHOOSE whether I do business with the CWB or NOT. Therefore I consider them the parasites.

Comment

ColevilleH2S thanks for the statement of not be able to make choice with CWB. It will give me something to thing about while on the combine today. If you like i can list you several grains and oil seeds available to sow that are not part of the wheat board. It is like saying that John Deere gives me no choice in the machinery i want to buy and operate.

Comment

So that's this weeks talking point is it? I just read that again in the producer last night. "If you don't like the wheat board, grow something else"

How about you guys take that line and stuff it where it don't smell so good.

How about we make a rule that says anyone who supports the cwb has to grow ONLY cwb grains and nothing else! Sound good? Why should the guys that can grow 10 different crops in their climate zone compete with the guys that only have 2 or 3 choices?

We will grow whatever the hell we want thank you very much, and then, get this, we will sell it to whoever we want, at whatever price or time frame we think works for our family, and it's future. Got it?

Comment

Is it August 2012 yet? OMFG!

Comment

Here is a good solution to evaluate the support of the cwb.

Everyone that wants the open market - store your grain until august 2012.

Everyone that wants the cwb sell over the next few months as the cwb tells you to do.

I will bet good money the cwb will be begging for the stored grain to fill contracts.

The sad part is the cwb supporters get an increase in their values for being sheep.

Or maybe the cwb has to get caught short again and take it out of the pool accounts.

Comment

Don't believe anything that Viterrra says.
                It is the same tired old company, that it
                always was/is. This is the kind of phoney
                s@#t that the markets rely on, time after
                time after time. Anyone who has dealt wit
                these guys/gals, know exactly what I'm
                talkin about.

Comment

Every elevator is different and only as good as the people working there. One JRI may be the tops in through put and crop input sales while another is poor, same with Viterra.

Comment

Who cares??? Theys dead to Me, Brown Grass *****. I want them to Fail, just like I want everyone else to Fail. Appetite fer Disaster, I want a Full Plate, Then another Plate After. Love don't live Here, & It don't even Visit. If life is a Bitch, Then mine a Gold Digger. Ain't no Mother F***** Harder Then.................

Comment

Classy...real classy I_F

Loser

Scrolling past all future I_F and BTO turds
                      floating in the Agriville river, check.

Comment

Integrity_Farmer,

We can hope this means goodbye
                        to Integrity_Farmer???

Hard work and good management means
                        that you are jealous... and why...
                        would this be???