• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB share value

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB share value

WCWG have made a list or recommendations to the minister but one interesting one is the value of the CWB once determined be divided up in shares to anyone who sold grain for the last 6 years. What's it worth?

The Canadian Wheat Board's existing board of directors should be dismissed and replaced with an interim board before the end of January, according to the CWB transition plan submitted by the Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association.

The Wheat Growers last week presented their ideas to the federal committee that has been tasked with implementing the changes proposed by federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz.

"Since the current board of directors refuses to go forward in the new future plans...they're basically failing in their duty to comply with the Canadian Wheat Board Act," says Wheat Growers Director Mike Bast. "If they're going to fail in their duty to comply, the only alternative we have left is to remove them before they do very serious damage to farmers and the future of farming under the Canadian Wheat Board and an open market."

"We suggest they put in a transitional board that can allow for a smooth transition into an open market until such time that farmers or the true owners of the Canadian Wheat Board can have their own AGM and elect their own directors."

The Wheat Growers proposal includes the issuing of shares to farmers.

"The current board always emphasizes that farmers own the Canadian Wheat Board and run it when in reality they actually don't own anything there. It may their money that's being used but it's not like a true corporation where you have to be accountable back to the shareholders," says Bast. "The only way that farmers will have true accountability and direction and power to control the entity is if they actually own it."

Among the proposed transition measures is a plan to issue ownership shares to all farmers who have delivered grain to the Canadian Wheat Board over the past six years.

"Once farmers have a direct stake in the wheat board, they will have a vested interest in making sure it provides value to farmers," he says.

The Wheat Growers proposal also addressed funding issues surrounding the Western Grains Research Foundation, the Canadian International Grains Institute and the Canadian Malting Barley Technical Centre.

From Portage on line.http://www.portageonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23563&It emid=469

Comment

How about selling all the assets, like the property and railcars and those boats and give the money to the farmers. Let them decide if they are going to invest in the new cwb or open market.

Oberg has this thing going to a zero sum (flaman's term) quite quickly by alienating his current partners and making the customers find a new supplier.

Comment

I've been saying this for awhile. Why should I "just be happy to walk away from the board simply or only to get freedom of choice"! The board has chiselled, trimed and deducted from what I have received for my board grains for over 30 years, they have and own what they do, from the backs of farmers and I shouldn't be just satisfied by simply walking away! They, the CWB owe me, and the government of Canada owes me too, as they stood by this draconian assult on personal property targeting farmers in certain areas of the country (while not others) and by not over seeing the legitimacy of the voters list which the CWB has been touting as fair. They both owe me and I want cash. Does this remind you of other groups recently paid out?

Comment

I'd like to attend that close out auction where I'd get a chance to buy a CWB article for less than its full value. That has a familiar ring to it from being on the other side of the supplying fence for so long! Good riddance to its useless performance in the durum market.

Comment

it is sicking listening to cwb everday on radio get this over fast ritz.let these poeple look 4 there first real job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...