• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New HRS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuckchuck,

We sold some off the Combine canola... all the way from No offer at all... to one of the lower basis offered this summer.

It all depends who has sales made... and when they need to be shipped.

At least in Canola the CWB isn't running around 'price discriminating/discounting' using growers money from a pool account!

By the way... more often grain prices in western Canada are higher on non-board grains... than the northern US... as many growers have noted (lower handling and freight). Too bad it isn't this way with CWB board grains.

If the CWB would have at least equal the US northern wheat and barley prices... it would have meant at least the CWB wasn't giving away our grain.

I can remember in the mid 2000's... the CWB claimed they could match US prices any time. That sure didn't last very long... except for organic grains!

Ever heard of the 'good cop bad cop' negotiation method???

The CWB has totally missed the opportunity... the buyers and end users know this... and force the prices DOWN.

The CWB 'single buying desk' is used by our customers/endusers to cheat western Canadian growers out of their rightful returns. I have had overseas millers tell me this straight to my face.

Who did you say you worked for Chuckchuck???

Comment

I agree that current board crops will show a price similar to the US prices based on similar freight costs when things open up. If the US prices continue to be higher for a time its easy to haul into the US. Once you get the paper work done up once its very staight forward. Lots of farmers and custom haulers are moving canola into ADM at Velva, ND. I know of a company is already looking for oportunities next year. I for one am very interested to see what we can do with the winter wheat we grow than usually ends up in the feed market. A neighbour a couple of years ago was dumping winter wheat at a feed mill and the trucker behind was a North Dakota farmer up dumping feed peas and this guy could'nt believe the neigbour would dump the nice red wheat for feed.
      As I said, i'm looking towards next year.

Comment

Rah rah, yea no shit the CWB takes their cut
        then cut for screw ups, then cut for bonuses even
        if they are the ones that screwed up. Minus the
        grain companies, pennies to the farmer, just
        priceless.

Comment

Gagstarr77 ain'tcha gonna answer Me & RD414's Questions???? Thank you kind, kind Sir......

WoodChuckWouldChuckWood, Close The God Damn Border to Trucks, Theys ain't stop Trains at The Border that I know. Triple Dog Dare them to shut The Border down to Wheat/Barley, Just Try It, Yall ain't Hear Me, I said TRY IT!!!!!! Two kin Play This Game, God Forgives, I Don't!!!!!!!!

Comment

chuckChuck
            First you say there will be some huge onslaught
            of wheat going south into the US - then you say
            truckers willing to go there will be hard to find.
            Which is it? Are we going to be trucking or aren't
            we?

Arbitrage means competition drives prices.  If
            someone needs it and is going to move it right
            away, they'll pay more for it than someone setting
            a nominal bid and expects to store anything they
            buy (meaning higher costs and lower prices to
            you).  Different prices but still arbitrage - including
            opportunity costs.

You look at different prices at different locations
            and suspect that they aren't arbitraging efficiently.  
            But if the prices were all the same (after freight
            spreads), there's no doubt in my mind that you'd
            complain about collusion.  

BTW - the prices you showed were for 15% DNS
            - not for 14% DNS.  No matter - quite a range, I
            agree.  Suspect that the buyer at 9.51 needs it
            more than the guy at 8.52.  In fact, the guy at
            8.52 might have very little interest in it at the
            moment because of limited space and a good
            program of something else going on.  The 8.52
            might be a signal saying "I don't want your 15%
            DNS right now". Maybe he's buying all he needs
            because farmers aren't bothering to shop around.

Who knows and who cares. It's your job as a
            seller to avoid him and exploit the high priced
            buyer. Arbitrage needs you too.

Think about this too.  Although I'm not sure if
            you've ever argued this, I'm sure you've heard
            the arguments that in an open market, farmers
            will compete the price down.  So why is there
            someone paying 9.51 when others are as much
            as a buck a bushel lower?  Why are they sitting
            there with such a big price? Don't they know they
            don't need to pay so much and should lower their
            price?  Why aren't farmers falling over
            themselves - and each other - to sell at 9.51, so
            much so that the buyer will eventually lower his
            price?

Don't US farmers understand they're supposed to
            push the price down?

Comment

Chuckchuck.

I'm a conventional farmer, unlike organic farmers like yourself. That was said because you won't, or are ashamed to admit your farming status.

This is the view of organic individuals. "I support the CWB because I have the advantage of selling my wheat into the US for a tiny buyback to receive an export licence. I'm afraid that if I don't support the CWB that conventional farmers will have access to the US market. US farmers will object to their politicians on seeing Canadian trucks loaded with wheat sitting on their elevator driveways, and will slam the border shut to all wheat including my own. I can't lose my advantage, so I strongly support the CWB."

Tell me it isn't so, chuckchuck. I checked my mirror, and didn't see a shelfish SOB until your face appeared in the background.

Comment

Checking. If you knew anything about organic farming you know very well that organic farms also use the CWB just like non-organic farms when they rent or buy more land that is not organic already, grow lower protein product that no one wants to buy and when the organic market is slow. They also have the option to use the OFSC just like you have the option to use the PDS if your a brilliant marketer, which I am sure you are.

Pedigreed Seed growers also use the CWB when they sell commercial and not pedigreed. Are they (shelfish) as well?

By the way, I wouldn't spend too much time in front of the mirror.

Comment

History shows that the US will use protectionist measures whenever they get the chance. To ignore or downplay the risks is naive. On the wheat front there were several trade challenges against the CWB and Canadian exports but they were all settled without evidence that the CWB was dumping. End of story!

Comment

Oh no!, I saw you as I glanced in my automotive mirror. You were the one in the grain truck behind me at the border being searched for a dirty terrorist wheat bomb by a nasty looking US custom's agent.

Yes, I know how you blend expanded acres into the loose standards. Four ounces of 2-4D and you would have it made!!!!

Comment

The answer as to why organic farmers and registered seed growers use the CWB at all is clear to me. It is also coming out in the replies to this forum.
                      The CWB patronage of these producers is kept to the very lowest levels to deliver screenings, organic or what was hoped to be seed production that no one in those industries wants because of the poorest specks because of weather damage, quality, contamination etc.
                      No successful organic farmer or seed producer has ever derived a substantial portion of their farm income from CWB deliveries. And for that reason their strong support for the CWB is most likely able to be attributed to denying other farmers from accessing the same world markets that they have come to see as their personal entitlements.
                      What is worst is that their self serving position would ensure that the current CWB policy denying even full Canadian access; let alone every other country; is the very basis for why "the CWB is very good for their farms".
                      And do those persons give a damn about me and every other farmer who can't benefit from the organic or registered seed exemptions or minimal cost permits?
                      Now that is real hypocricy and basic philosophical differences that have absolutely nothing to do with any political parties platform.

Comment

If you actually asked organic farmers about marketing you would find that board grains are only a portion of their markets. The CWB also offers a cash organic marketing option.

Sucessfull organic farms grow a wide variety of crops for agronomic reasons and because they prefer not to purchase seeds and chemicals from companies who want to monopolize the seed business.

I think many non-organic farmers don't like organic farmers who are successful growing anything without all the investment in chemicals and fertilizers because they know that agri-business charges what the market will bear. As prices go up so does the cost of production.

Successful organic farmers have cut costs, sell into higher value markets, and have increased net incomes.

It was farmer directors (the majority of who are non-organic)who decided to offer all the pricing options (PPOs) at the CWB including the OFSC.

You may not like or use the various pricing options but many farmers do use them.

Comment

Chuck,

If the CWB Directors had been ethical and offered the same options to commercial growers as they voted to themselves for organic wheat and barley... the end of the 'single buying desk' would have been those many years ago... instead of August 1 2012!

HOW arrogant... give your buddies market choice... but reck the CWB now out of spite and vindictive mallace.

The CWB bet the farm... on the wrong horse... and are going to shoot all the horses... because they bet on the horse with the broken leg.

Someone should take Chairman Obergs (and his 7 think alike buddies) guns away from them!!

Comment

I just want chuckchuck to not be ashamed to admit that he is an organic farmer.

I also want him to continue on in his ways to say "No", just like his beloved Board.

Perhaps the Minister, for the common good of saving the bleeding away of farm dollars, will move the date of closure of CWB jurisdiction to the date of royal accent of his legislation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...