• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat Board’s plea nothing but chaff

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat Board’s plea nothing but chaff

From today's winnipeg sun,

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/08/10/wheat-boards-plea-nothing-but-chaff

<b>Does chair Allen Oberg want a new fleet of combines, too?</b>

Canadian Wheat Board chairman Allen Oberg wants taxpayers to bail out his organization to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars because of contract penalties and pension shortfalls he claims will occur with the dismantling of the board’s government-imposed monopoly.

What a laugh. And what a pathetic loser attitude.

Oberg says the CWB will not be able survive without the longstanding law that bans western farmers from selling their wheat, durum and barley to whomever they please. He says it’s necessary to maintain this outdated, state-interventionist law or the CWB will fold.

And he wants us taxpayers to pay any grain contract penalties that arise from potential breaches with buyers and pension shortfalls for CWB staff. He asked the Harper government earlier this month to pick up the tab for the CWB.

Would he like us to buy him a new fleet of combines too?

What Oberg and his Manitoba NDP government counterparts are trying to do is convince Canadians that the federal Tories are dismantling the CWB.

The Selinger government has even taken out ads — paid for by taxpayers — to bash the federal Tories on the issue, largely to try to use it as an attack against local provincial Tories, who have nothing to do with the wheat board.

Of course, the feds are not dismantling the CWB. They’re simply planning to change the law so that if a farmer wants to sell his wheat and barley to someone other than the CWB, he has the choice to do so, just like wheat and barley farmers do in Ontario.

It’s called economic freedom, something Oberg and his NDP friends in Manitoba obviously don’t support.

And they’re the only provincial government in the West that is against economic freedom for grain farmers. The governments of Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia all support federal legislation to end the CWB monopoly.

Supporters of the state-controlled wheat and barley monopoly say farmers — not the federal government — should decide the fate of the CWB.

I agree. And western Canadian farmers will decide its fate. There’s nothing stopping farmers from continuing to market their grain through the CWB. If the vast majority of farmers believe selling their wheat, durum and barley through the wheat board is good business for them, then they can continue to do so.

Somehow that message has been lost in this debate.

If the CWB is such a wonderful marketing organization for farmers, then farmers should want to continue to use it.

I don’t really care either way. Although I do support economic freedom for all Canadians and Canadian companies. I think it’s an important right worth fighting for.

Imagine if government told all Canadian aerospace companies that they had to sell their products through a Canadian Aerospace Marketing Board and were not allowed to sell directly to customers worldwide?

How about if we forced vegetable farmers to sell through a marketing board?

Doesn’t sound very appealing, does it? So why do we do it for wheat and barley, and only in Western Canada? Canola seems to move just fine in the marketplace without a single-desk system.

Most importantly, though, the CWB has no business demanding taxpayers bail them out of anything.

The CWB is operated by a board of directors voted in by farmers. They are not a Crown corporation.

They’re on their own. And they definitely don’t have dibs on taxpayers’ pocketbooks.

Where exactly is this bail out money supposed to go towards?? If the CWB has a contract to supply grain then bid for us farmers grain and we will give it to you, no broken contracts. On Warbertons contracts for example say if they have a supply contract is the price not set according to some future or basket of cwb sales? Obviously a contract is a contract, although 300 thousand of my grain leaves my yard every year on a verbal contract it is still a contract and my word is as good as a anything. The only time the CWB should be worried about their contracts is if they sold or committed to under the market price, would be very difficult to bring grain in at under the market price and the federal government would have to make up the difference, we should not break a contract but in that case us farmers should be made full aware of why such a contract was made in the first place. If a contract was made at over the general market price then the cwb should have no trouble soursing from the best grain western Canada has produced, farmers could even be persuaded to hold grain into the new year for the cwb to supply their high value contracts. I don't get this, if they claim they have provided us with better grain prices this would be the opportune time to show us in the open and free market. Contract is a contract is what I am trying to say.

Comment

Which is it?

If the CWB is securing premium prices for western grain growers... there will be plenty of grain to fill them... and pay any liabilities outstanding!

What kind of pensions did the CWB give workers... that would expose us to such huge extra costs?

None of this makes any sense... unless Chairman Oberg is telling us in the only way he will admit to it...

THAT THE CWB MANAGERS AND 8 THINK ALIKE DIRECTORS ARE VERY BAD AT SELLING GRAIN... AND GAVE AWAY hUNDREDS OF $mILLIONS OF OUR MONEY IN A BADLY NEGOTIATED PENSION PLAN.

A FORENSIC AUDIT SHOULD BE DONE ...now... and receiver management put in place now... before these clowns waste more of our money.

Comment

My biggest fear right now is that the 2011/12 board returns will collapse to pay for the complete incompetence of the board and its directors. Any grain sold into this new crop year will most likely take a serious hit. Our GDC on #1 durum is not looking so good anymore.

Comment

Nice to see at least one Winnipeg writer who can think clearly when it comes to the Wheat Board.

Comment

According to a government contracting website,
            the federal government is seeking an auditor to
            check the books and "provide reasonable
            assurance of the total financial impact of the
            repeal of the Canadian Wheat Board Act and the
            dissolution or winding up of the CWB after the
            final pooling periods (expected to be July 31,
            2012)."

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.A
            sp?
            WCE=Show&TAB=1&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&
            id=225648&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&r
            owcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT
            =0&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=Y&hcode=KWVkv
            O8%2fjZaUmeTUUhpiFg%3d%3d

Comment

if you guys happened to have worse yeilds on record wouldnt the same apply with no penalty cause you couldnt supply grain

some of these arguments are new we didnt have them here, the old awb just took it on the chin knew there time was up and looked ahead rather than behind

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...