• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRAIN QUALITY; Flaten and the new CWB lab in SK

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRAIN QUALITY; Flaten and the new CWB lab in SK

Did anyone else hear the CWB interview yesterday at noon?

The CWB claims they will use the new SK facility in Saskatoon to check for cargo quality being loaded in ThunderBay, west coast and other port facilities!

Isn't certificate final the responsibility of the CGC and the grain handlers obligated to meet the grade requirements of the CWB ordered grain for that cargo that is loaded in the ship?

What good will a lab do in Saskatoon... does the CWB own a courier company now to take grain samples from port position to check what is loaded... will this hold up ships?

I could not believe what was said.

Another CWB project to waste pool money?

WHAT IS THE CWB DOING

maybe im just stupid, but why the lab if Oberg is still taking the stand that they are toast in a free market. What about the ships?? What is going on with the ships? I'm assuming they believe this is part of their hundreds of millions in wind down costs that the gov't must pay for. All directors should be on the hook and loose their farms over the ships IMO if they can't be cancelled.

Comment

Excuse me but since we don't know what is on the ship when it is loaded does that mean we are good at selling grain or suck at it?

Comment

Hopper,

We DO know what is on the ship... NOW.

The Customers give us exactly what we deserve. No amount of extra CWB graders and Labs will increase the value of our grain... over what we already know and can find out at CIGI and the CGC in Winnipeg.

THIS is obviously just a total waste of our money. Chairman OBERG... on a spending spree to sabotage the CWB.

Comment

With all those billions one would think that sufficient returns could and would be returned directly to farmers too. Why does it take a public payout for farmers to receive enough to survive.
          We as farmers are being manipulated into thinking this is how the farming business operates. There is obviously a huge difference between farmer returns and the agricultural industry returns.

Thank you for pointing out how canola production helps the overall Canadian and Sask economy. Now why do you and the majority of the rest of us as farmers depend on government handouts. Show the same enthusiasm for this situation.
          Ever think about sailing your own ship; instead of being taken for a ride?

Comment

Begood: Could it be the Government thinks Ag is worth protecting, maybe for more than just food security since we grow way more than we use domestically. Could it be it generates alot of economic activity that ripples through parts of the economy.

I can't argue with you, I too would like nothing better to get more out of the market than recieve government assistance at times. The last time we really got anything meaningful was for the frost event of 04. Since then it simply is the agri-invest. We don't participate in crap insurance either.

I've said before: Producers seem to buy retail and sell wholesale. This(farming) is the only thing I've ever done, can someone enlighten me as to the "power" other business people enjoy(or are they left to the same forces as we(as farmers) are. Are we doing business in an environment that warrants support if it there are no checks and balances?

What ever..... I'm going to watch the football game.

Comment

Begood. Over the years I've paid far more to government taxes than I have ever received in program payouts. I imagine most farmers are the same. So when it comes to government and farmers, who is supporting who?

Good on the Canola Council to spread the word.

Comment

Very good arguments for lots of government control and involvement and even governments deciding what your net income will be. But look at it another way. You think they will allow average net income to ever get much above what it takes to keep farmers doing all the hard work producing raw food.
                Farmers allowed agribusiness and governments to control the agenda and now we try to scramble for the biggest carrots. I'll agree and admit to everything you are saying; but don't tell me that it had to be that way; nor tell me that you like it.

Comment

As for the assumtion that most farmers have paid more in taxes than they ever got back

How can that be true when year after year the only thing that keeps net farm income positive is government payments and off farm income. As far as I know your accountant would not be suggesting that there is much tax due when net farm income is close to zero.

The taxes on government payments are really someone else money in the first place; and sinking good money earned from other work into farming operations is entirely your individual decision.
                  Also don't forget what you receive from the health, education, child benefits and myriad of other government programs available to everyone.
                  Perceived entitlements are a cost to everyone. A cheap food policy turns into control over over producers and we have come to accept those facts; but do little to change the base problems.

Comment

Begood,

How can we pay more in taxes?

Read the first article again.

Taxes upon taxes... multiplied by a lack of competition and concentration in the corporate sector... encouraged by government. BECAUSE the corporations and the people that work for them... and the money they each spend... multiply tax revenues for our governments.

By design... the goose that lays the 'golden eggs'... must be fed for a stable and plentyful supply of produce to be maintained.

A 'stable and plentyful supply of energy, produce and food ' to feed a nation... and world... is the base of our civilisation.

Comment

"A 'stable and plentyful supply of energy, produce and food ' to feed a nation... and world... is the base of our civilisation."
                      Stable won't do it. Plentiful it can not be when everything has a limited supply and demands for more and more are imminent. Surely there are energy, resource and population problems. To not acknowlege them; and pretend that these same problems were faced for the last thousand years is another setback for reality.
                      The expected religious outcome may well be good news for the insect world; but then again the insects are spending just as much time contemplating change as most people.

Comment

Begood,

In all things give thanks!

Thanks for your insight Begood.

Humanity obviously does have problems.

To actually be discussing these issues... over 1000's of miles... on the internet... shows that humans are somewhat more clever and co-operative than insects.

The base of our motivation is your point.

You are responsible for your motives... I for mine!

All the best!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...