• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report!

Well it seems the extreme heat did have a impact in our area. Canola on wet ground did not react like I thought it would do and is not podding very nice at all. Not only our fields all in area the bottom has pods but top are gone. Ground was to wet from the 5 inches at farm progress show week at cabbage stage, then shallow roots not nice at all, Now its seems early seeded is almost awesome then nose dives and then late looks awesome but some is full bloom can you count the days. Yea chances are late wont make it.
    HRS is two weeks late on most and some oats is just heading. Yellow canola fields all over the place. Flax in full bloom. Peas are shutting down.
    HAIL HAIL HAIL> big storm from Cupar to Lipton some hard hit fields.
    So here it is August 1st and 2011 looks like an average at best.
    Scale For oats and Barley 10 plus
    60 is a 10
    30 is a 5
    0 is a 0

HRS - 7 to 8
    Durum - 8 to 9
    Barley 10 plus
    Oats 10 plus
    Flax 4 to 5
    peas 4 to 5
    Canola 4 to 5

What are others seeing.

Wheat 10/10
    Canola 6/10
    peas 7/10

We have more water in fields than anyone can remember for this time of year. Mostly just spring low spots that are water logged. Not the end of the world but most areas have some dead spots never seen before.
    Much like what some of you seen in wet areas last year, wheat done the best, if sprayed with fungicide. Disease is rampant in peas/lentils. Any later canola may be in trouble if not sprayed with fungicide. Earlier canola not hit bad with frost looks awesome. Spring frosted canola is 10 days late and reseeded canola has almost caught up to the frost damaged stuff. Yeilds will be from 25 to 60. Very little of anything else grown here.
    We need sun and warm temps to mature in august, if we get that we may be overall average.

Comment

Furrow I'm finding a lot like you are seeing. We definitely need a awesome august with hot temps and warm nights. That will make a crop. Right now the cereals are doing way better with the wet ground again this year. Peas and Canola never did recover from 5 inch rain in late June on top of saturated soils in spring. How bad is hail situation your way here its picking up north closer to Foam lake hit a good area. Leaf Disease is rampant in HRS some fields are like winter wheat if not sprayed. Barley also has leaf disease etc. Flax actually looks awesome but late also. Also lots of full bloom canola, field on pig shit last year still blooming on 13Th of August, it did make it but green count at 7 or higher.
      Good luck.

Comment

What did Drew Lerner predict for this summer again? Has he been accurate so far?

(sorry, no memory in old brain)

Comment

We were to start out wet then Extreme East Sask was to dry down and moisture would pick up in Alberta and NW Saskatchewan. Hm looks close to reality.
          Environment Canada Dude hot hot summer. Well he got 5 days right.

Comment

I think August is to dry out for us and be warmer than normal. That is what Drew said a while back. He has been very close again this year.

Comment

Waist high, podding heavily, 5 seeds/pod average.

150398898194689_747004688_10396883_5706432_n.jpg&q uot;/>

Comment

Alright, I've been from Nipiwan to Swift Current in the last week and heres what I've seen...Crops look great at 60 mph but, anywhere there was alot of rain or a heavy crop last year there is alot of straw and ok pods, alot of late stuff that has a snoballs chance. There's plenty of good wheat out there but there is also alot that didn't tiller well if the N was on the lower side. Peas seem to look good but I'm not good at judging the yield on those things. Suprisingly the best crops I've seen are a around Kyle and they get progressively worse as you head north east. NW is dependant on frost damage, if it didn't hurt the stand it definately slowed it down 2 weeks. Early call, Canola average to slightly below, wheat average to slightly better, peas good.

Comment

Personally, i only grew oats and canola.

The canola remains a 4-5 due to too much rain. Some is 10, most is 4.

Oats is still a 10 plus.

Area wise, all over the map. Canola is maybe 5-6 overall, oats 8, barley 6, wheat 6, peas, non-existent, flax, non-existent.

It is the most difficult to judge I have ever seen as the variability is so intense from field to field. My best canola should be 50 plus, seeded into sod, but my worst will be under 20, most will be 20-25 I think. Heavy soil worst, light soil best. Disapointing, and probably in a yield claim position, unless I am shocked at harvest time.

But the oats! OH the oats! If they make it, it will be gold, Jerry, GOLD. I don't think I have grown/seen oats like this before.

An averageish, maybe belowish crop is coming from the Wadena/Kelvington area this year.

And that is my report for this week. lol

Comment

canola 9/10, wheat/durum 9/10, flax 9/10 peas/lentils 7/10 (did not like the heat last week). Canola yields look like 40-50 plus. Durum 45-65 wheat 45-55. Flax 30-35, Lentils 25ish, peas 40-45ish. Canola 3 weeks to swath, early durum wheat first week of sept. peas are still 3.5 weeks till harvest, lentils late august. Some late seeded in area not headed yet.

Comment

I wish I live 10 miles north

Comment

And Klaus you should take pics of farmers yards and blow them up bigger than the ass hole that did mine. Took a good pic but would not take more money for a bigger pic, brainless the guy was.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...