• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Barley Commission Leadership Change

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Barley Commission Leadership Change

Media release for immediate release ...

Alberta Barley Commission changes leadership

Calgary, AB (July 21, 2011) – The Board of Directors of the Alberta Barley Commission announced today the departure of Mr. Mike Leslie, CEO, effective Tuesday, July 19, 2011.

“Leadership changes are a reality in any organization,” said Commission Chair Matt Sawyer. “As a Board, we’ll continue to successfully deliver on our mandate and remain accountable to our members.”

The day-to-day operations of the Commission will continue. Over the coming weeks, the Board will appoint an interim CEO. In the meantime, the Commission’s professional staff will maintain business as usual.

“While change is inevitable, the Board has every confidence that our excellent staff will ensure that Alberta barley producers will see no interruption in services and programs,” said Sawyer. “The Board is confident in its strategic direction.”

The Commission will continue to meet the needs of barley growers and address the challenges of a changing industry.
    “This is a time of opportunity and growth,” said Sawyer. “Our members and industry partners can be assured that the Commission’s Board of Directors is committed to ensuring the stability of all of its projects, programs and research.”

Sawyer is a graduate of Olds College and a barley producer from Acme, Alberta. He first joined the Commission as a delegate in 2003 and was elected to chair the Board of Directors in December of 2009.
    Canada’s only barley commission, the Alberta Barley Commission is a not-for-profit organization directed, funded and controlled by the province’s 17,000 barley producers. The Commission coordinates and sponsors research, market development, technology transfer and policy development on behalf of its producers
    –30–

For more information, contact:
    Matt Sawyer Chair, Board of Directors 403-369-5071 sawyer@airenet.com

Lisa Skierka Manager, Office & Projects 403-291-9111, Ext 21 lskierka@albertabarley.com

Any reason why Tom that you know? Like Mike and feel he was a good asset to the industry.

Comment

What are others finding in their crops.
      10 bin buster and 0 flooded out disaster crap.
      7 for our area Regina to Canora.

Comment

Here in west of Central and around Central Alberta somewhat look very good or better than in Brooks. Dont know if better than Sask, haha. Alot canola starting blooming Golden Yellow Alberta should have replace Alberta blue flag, hahah and some of them start spraying for sclenornia. Barley starting to lodge due mother low raining continue and not too warm here while Sask, Man got heat. I envy Sask and Man got good heat.

Comment

Dear MCFarms,

As I stated with Garth Patterson, changes in leadership are needed and a nesassary part of a healthy organisation.

I truly hope Mike all the best in his future endevours. I also hope he can concentrate and further develop his many good talents. I have always appreciated the Pulse and Canola governance systems better than the Carver model the Alberta Government has been promoting.

I personally think the Carver management model does not particulaly build teamwork skills to the extent required... and lacks a full accountability framework that builds the trust required for the most effective management and skills development within an organisation.

I believe we even see this right to the top of Alberta Government in our leadership strategy in the Premier's office.

Accountability means... "Trust but Verify" as Ronald Reagan said...

THis is a simple accountability requirement of an effective management system... just as performance measurments help managers meet their goals and objectives of the Board of Directors they are to serve!

Very interesting times!

Comment

OK reading between the lines.The barley commission has struggled in the past with mamnagement issues he was a definate improvement and hopefully the next one will be an improvement yet again.

Comment

Simply
              If you have 60 hrs or canola a 10 a 5 is 30 bus a
              15 is a 3 etc etc.
              So I'm grading our crop a 7.

Comment

Oats 9, canola from a 0 to a 10, mostly a
                4-5 though.

Comment

ok, here is RR Canola 10 and other Polish 6 - 8.

Comment

The heat did a job on canaryseed near Regina.
                    We really didn't need it quite so hot, but in 60's,
                    this was common summer weather.

Comment

I have no insight into what happened but I am sure that Mike will do well in whatever his next step is. I've always respected Mike's insight and contribution to the industry.

Comment

As for canary seed this year I have not seen a field yet or talked to anyone who thinks theirs will make over 20 bpa this year. Small heads and few tillers, aphids and leaf disease (that almost nobody said they were gonna bother spraying for!).
                        The price just slowly keeps edging up as summer goes on so I think the .30 cents in Jan/Feb cleaned out alot more carryover than most realized and very few acres got planted this year and yields are looking to be average on 1/2 of them at best? and below to unharvested on rest.
                        Seen/heard of LOTS of damage from both Puma and Avenge this year?? Fields that had no wild oat spray look to yield 50% better and a week or two more advanced??
                        Proccesors/brokers are continually calling/posting .30FOB and better for sept/dec delivery??

Comment

I was wondering if it might have anything to do with the fact that the AB Barley Commission has this link on its website...probably not.

http://albertabarley.com/documents/ABLandStewardshipAct.pdf

The AB government has been pumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into this Commission over the years.

Comment

Wilagro,

The Commission (ABC) has been pumping millions of dollars into our grain research and develpment projects both provincial and federal. ABC is funded by a refundable checkoff that allows freedom of choice if you object to the projects that we fund.

Dr. Jim Helm is a very good example of the NIR development for barley and feed grains... Barley varieties growers grow and need on Alberta grain farms... and future research to better take care of our environment through effective plant breeding.

Perhaps it didn't reflect what you meant... but ABC has been funding the Alberta Government on our Barley R&D!

Comment

Most commodities are gonna take off as soon as reality hits of how much is out there. Stats can has no clue .Hang on to carryover if you can.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...