• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced to sell to One buyer... IS a really bad deal

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced to sell to One buyer... IS a really bad deal

Charlie,

As we had had our morning coffee... planning the days work... looking at the Oberg special CWB 'official ballot'...

Looking at the 'official ballot' plastered all over it... does the CWB think this makes the Plebicite better?

My mechanic mused a revealing statement...after looking at Chairman Oberg's Ballot:

"ANYONE; can see that being forced to sell your grain to one buyer... is not going to get the best price!"

This is the next biggest blunder... to the ship purchase this winter... as Rolf Penner said in the arcticle I posted in response to Obergs Blog...

If Oberg was trying to negotiate the best deal out of PM Harper and Minister Ritz... for grain growers...Oberg and the CWB really needs to read the book; "How to win friends and influence people!!!"!!!

He can't be serious about working to create a viable commercial CWB II.

WHY is OBERG at the CWB? TO Destroy it?

You're a moron as usual.

Comment

Integrey_Farmer;

I learned one of your most loyal supporters and defenders is (as I was told with a grin) "putting down his landing gear" July 31 2011. He was showing his CWB replacement the ropes!

I hope Orlando does well in whatever project he works with in the Future!

Cheers Orlando!

All the best!

I-F...

It is hard to shake hands with a clenched fist!

P.S.

If you are yearning for the "good old days"... just turn off the air conditioner. It works every time.

Comment

tom you'd better ask the aussies how Multiple sellers work to drive down price.
        Or an example closer to home was the large Green Lentil market a few years back that had 90% of the market but multiple sellers kept the price way way Lower than should have been.
        This was reported at crop production week from a study undertaken by Pulse Growers. And some farmers didn't want to hear that we had given our lentils away because pulse companies kept bidding the Price down to get sales to other countries.

Comment

mustardman

Maybe you could work me through how a single desk would work with lentils (or perhaps only large seeded varieties like Lairds)? Would the lentil be a single desk or could it compete in an open market? Would you have a pricing pace model/formula like wheat or be like malt barley where CWB success or failure is determining by quantity/quality and CWB sales timing? Can the CWB time sales better than a open market company who has to compete for supplies? Could this entity make lentil sales without farmer contracts the way that is done with malt barley?

Comment

The renewed CWB could offer programs for lentils in general or lairds specifically. Just convince farmers of value, work out deals with the supply chain to provide services/logistics and finally bring business to western Canadian/Saskatchewan.

The question to the thread topic would you want to have this organization your only representative backed by legislation or a part of a competitive market place? Would value added processing investment occur in the province when you have this one organization that controls your fate/profitability?

Comment

Note the comments over time on too much CWB/politics in Agriville (I am adding to this).

Note there is limited to no discussion on lentils in particular or pulses in general. Pulse Canada works as a supply chain leader in many of the areas the CWB does but again carries out its activities in the background working with all the members of the open market supply chain out of the bright lights of the media. The study you refer to was presented and talked about but no traction except as a single desk arguement by CWB supporters (the best defense is good offense).

Frustration..

Comment

Mustardman,

WITH RESPECT... as a Pulse Commissioner at the time... in no way could the 'idea' of a cartel actually work on lentils... let alone wheat... and never on barley.

People who OWN the produce... and agree to a price... contract the grain... and knowingly sign contracts... have the right to do this in a free and democratic civilisation.

Marlene can say and speculate all she wants... HINDSIGHT is always 20 20.

Hindsight speculation can only show that transparency and effective communications... are the key to proving value for both the buyer and seller. If a deal is NOT good for both sides... it is a rotten deal for both sides.

Mustard... your argument is very shallow.

Forced to sell to One buyer... IS a really bad deal... I stand by this... and always will.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but is not almost half of Canada's milling wheat produced in Saskatchewan.When was the last time anew flour mill was constructed in this province??? Much easier to control if it shipped out as raw product and processed somewhere else.

Comment

Charlie how much "value added processing" is done on pulses in this province? And don't count a pulse plant where they clean product and then ship off- thats not value added. If it was any inland terminal is "value adding "when they clean wheat and ship it out

Comment

Tom forced to have unlimited Sellers is a bad idea...... I stand by this...and always will.

Comment

Mustard

The farmer owned inland terminals were built by
                        farmers wanting to extract as much value from
                        the grain they grow before it is shipped. They do
                        this by cleaning, selling screenings, shipping in
                        100 car trains etc.

Under the CWB this is about as much value that
                        they can extract. I would ask why didn't those
                        farmers build durum mills or flour mills when they
                        built their elevators?

Comment

mustardman,

Ever heard of:

Lentil splitting plants?

Colour sorting facilities to prepare for table ready human consumption sales to grocery stores?

Parheim Foods Dry fractionation of pulses for industrial, specialty human food and fish food additives?

Wet fractionation components made for folks requiring gluten free flour like Kinikinick foods?

Ethanol plants like Permolex in Red Deer that we just relish the day when the CWB stops messing up their special fractionation capabilities.

Canola value added processing built to such a high standard and so competitive in western Canada... that it supports the whole world Canola pricing structure and futures. Why haven't Canola prices collaped? BECAUSE CDN Canola growers... and Aussies, EU, FSU, and Chinese Canola growers are unlimited sellers... which the food value chain system needs to invest the $$$billions needed to feed a hungry world.

Whatever Mustard... go around with your eyes wide shut!

Comment

Tommie, ever hear of the Pigeon King,
                            Ostrich and Emu producers, ginseng, elk
                            horns, borage, seabuckthorn, alpacas,
                            aquaculture, tulapiee. All ways to get
                            rich, rich, rich, butt you've gotta,
                            spend, spend, spend ta get rich, rich rich
                            er poor, poor poor. Angribusiness is just
                            fulla scams. What will the Albertie Gov't
                            come up wit next, surley bio-scum will be
                            the next best thing!!

Comment

Burbot - the biggest scam in history will go down as your beloved borg - mark my words. You hate multi nationals like other borg cheerleaders, b/c you think they rip you off, yet it's o.k. to let clowns at the cwb screw you over year after year and line their pockets from your hard work so you think there is equality for all - hard to understsnd.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...