• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you pay for the CWB, you get to vote? Then I want my ballot.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you pay for the CWB, you get to vote? Then I want my ballot.

In the CWB’s new document, “Dismantling the Canadian Wheat Board: what's at stake”, it talks about how CWB operations are made possible by federal government guarantees:

“The guarantees underwrite initial payments for farmers and the organization's financial borrowings. The CWB and its investors have never had to call upon the borrowing guarantee. The guarantee on initial payments is rarely used. Taxpayers do not fund the CWB.”

So, the government guarantee (taxpayers) covers deficits in the pool accounts that occur when the CWB miscalculates and ends up paying farmers more than what was generated in sales.

In a recent letter to farmers, CWB Chairman Allen Oberg explained why he and others on the CWB board believe that farmers should decide on the future of the CWB:

“...we pay for the CWB, we run it through the farmer-controlled board of directors, and we should decide its future.”

Put another way, “taxpayers don’t fund the CWB”, and those that “pay” for the CWB, get to vote in the CWB’s survey that they like to call a plebiscite.

Did you know...
    <b>Since 1968, the CWB has had a total of 12 individual pool deficits totaling $1.349 BILLION.</B>

Let me say it again, with a different spin:

<b>Canadian taxpayers from Newfoundland to BC have paid $1.349 BILLION to the Canadian Wheat Board because it made a few mistakes in pricing to farmers.</b>

Still want to say taxpayers don't fund the CWB?

Still want to say only farmers pay for the CWB?

Dear John,

It would be only fair... and in the convention of 'Canadain Compromise' that since the CWB is 100 percent responsible only to Parliament and the people of Canada have an interest in the CWB... as they have all been 'producers' (of the financial resourses just like grain) as well:

THat the all people in Canada decide what should happen to the CWB 'single desk'. Estates... children... everyone.

Lets see; about 50 million ballots would be right?

at a cost of $4/ballot... about 200 million to hold the CWB plebicite?

Didn't we just have that on May 2, 2011???

How many voters are

Comment

John,

Won't you be surprised when you get 5 ballots in your mail box...

Whats that?

You are on the CWB MNP ballot hit list???

Your ballots got to Quebec???

Whats that... 35 million of the ballots... by convention... must be sent to Quebec citizens?

You have got to be kidding...

Be carefull... you might get what you ask for... the CWB and Chairman Oberg are watching VERY closely!!!

Comment

jdepape

Who exactly backstops the bonds that the cwb issues in the international market?

Who exactly covered the cwb's "discetionary trading losses" a couple years back? If farmers covered that loss, that would be reason enough to get rid of the cwb. Especially when no one at the cwb lost their job over it.

Comment

Bucket;

Growers do... until the CWB can't suck any more money out of us. Then the Taxpayer does.

CWB Act:

Section 7

Losses

(3) Losses sustained by the Corporation

(a) from its operations under Part III in relation to any pool period fixed thereunder, during that pool period, or

(b) from its other operations under this Act during any crop year,

for which no provision is made in any other Part, shall be paid out of moneys provided by Parliament.

R.S., 1985, c. C-24, s. 7;
          1998, c. 17, s. 28(E).

Investment of Moneys

Payment of expenses

8. (1) The Corporation may, at the time of realization, use every profit realized by it on the sale of bonds, debentures, notes or other evidences of indebtedness acquired by it under paragraph 6(1)(c.1) in payment of expenses incurred by the Corporation in its operations or may credit the profit to the contingency fund established under paragraph 6(1)(c.3).

Losses

(2) Every loss sustained by the Corporation on the sale of a bond, debenture, note or other evidence of indebtedness acquired under paragraph 6(c.1) shall, for all purposes, be deemed to be an expense incurred by the Corporation in the course of its operations at the time of the sale.

R.S., 1985, c. C-24, s. 8;
          R.S., 1985, c. 38 (4th Supp.), s. 3;
          1998, c. 17, ss. 8, 28(E).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-24/page-6.html#h-11

Comment

The spin master at work!

John, I guess it was okay when Ontario producers voted to dismantle the Ontario Wheat Board through a democratic process but it is not okay that western farmers have a say in the future of the CWB? Why the double standard? Perhaps Ontario producers received taxpayers support as well? Did Ontario taxpayers get a vote John?

John and others, what you are saying is that producers should not have a right to decide the future of their of their marketing boards through a vote. Does that apply to supply management boards such as dairy and poultry?

Do you think it is okay for every provincial and federal government now and into the future to impose their will on farmers without consulting or asking for democratic decisions by producers on major policy or program changes?

I guess you are willing to accept government imposing their will as long as its serves your political self interest. What about when it doesn't?

Spin it all you want. The majority of producers would prefer to be consulted and have decision made by a democratic vote.

Just because Harper picked up a few extra seats in vote rich Ontario doesn't give him a mandate to change the CWB. That is unless you think suburban Ontario gives a rats ass about the the CWB. Most of them haven't even heard of the CWB.

Spin on John.

Comment

Chuckchuck,

Spin... Master...

Provincial Governments are in charge of marketing boards and do have the last say. If Manitoba wants a wheat marketing board... they can easily put one in place just like Quebec did a few years back.

How many of us commercial wheat growers got to vote on the exemption for Organic wheat and barley growers CC? NONE.

You already know that the vast majority of growers need choice. A choice to sell to the CWB IF they are willing to provide decent and reasonable returns to grain growers.

As Chairman Ritter said... AFTER the vote on barley when the majority said just this... they needed a choice... NOT the 'single buying desk'... Ritter said the CWB already knew this... it was no surprise.

You have a very short memory... or you are the king of spin... Chuckchuck.

Why only past wheat of barley growers to vote... what about the grower who planted wheat and barley for the first time this spring... Chuck?

What about the adult children in my family... who voted Conservative in the election May 2... that want the right to sell their future production to anyone... who the CWB says get NO Vote.

Why isn't it one person; one vote Chuck?

Why are we voteing on the right you want... to take my families property at less than fair market value... for you to 'feel' sake and secure in your role as a theif... to steal our grain?

Spin on chuck... ignore both the fact the CWB has neither the market power... nor the moral authority in a civilised country... to maintain confiscation rights outside the war measures act in an emergency.

Comment

The CWB was plenty happy before the last election when they blocked Ritz when they forced him to have a vote in Parliament...

Now that is no good?

Comment

Was it ok for the liberal government of jean cretin and alan rock to impose the long gun registry on normal, law abiding people?

I don't remember voting for that.

If I get enough people together can I vote to confiscate some of your food chuck? Tough times are coming and if I don't have enough food or money it should be only right that I can have some of yours, if the vote goes in our favor - of course. I wonder who I could hire to run such a plebiscite?

Comment

Alberta uses COMPULSION. I can't buy a critter from my neighbour or an auction mart if I don't have a premises number issued by our provincial government.

Doesn't matter that I may have wanted to slaughter it for food or buy a horse to ride for pleasure, it is compulsory for me to be registered.

Where is my free choice? I can't even buy from someone who doesn't have a premises number either.

Pretty soon we'll need to have a lawyer on a retainer to assist in our farming/ranching business...the price of progress I guess. Regulations are going to get us all.

Comment

Wow wilagro
                      You're anti-regulation yet pro-CWB.
                      Just a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

Btw - needing to be registered doesn't take away
                      your freedom to choose who you deal with.

Licences do not equate monopolies.

Comment

Wilagro,

I call your bluff on the horse thing.

I can sell you one of my horses this afternoon... without any license or permission of the Alberta Government.

THis is simply NOT TRUE. Just like the 'single buying desk' of the CWB extracts a premium... by confiscating my families grain... at less than market price... will NEVER get us a premium prices for that grain...

What are they feeding you up there Wilagro? Are you drinking 'special' single desk water... ???

Comment

Wiagro,

Just for you. I checked the ALMA web site... Horses are not even listed for future regulation... let alone a requirement enforced now.

Here is the latest AB AG notice on horse desease:

From the May 30, 2011 Issue of Agri-News
                          E-Newsletter

Agri-News Home

Download pdf - 141K

---------------------------------------

A case of nEHV-1 with neurological symptoms was confirmed in a Southern Alberta horse. The horse is isolated and is recovering.
                          “While news of this case has been reported on many websites and internet blogs, it is important for Alberta horse owners to have correct information about this equine disease,” says Dr. Gerald Hauer, Chief Provincial Veterinarian. “We want horse owners to be aware of the current situation, and to understand what this virus is and how they can protect their horses. Albertans also need to be assured that this virus poses no human health risk.”

Equine Herpes Virus -1 is a contagious disease of horses that has been around for a long time. The classical form of the disease causes respiratory disease, abortions in mares and rarely neurological (brain and spinal cord) disease. In the past few years, a new strain of the virus has emerged in North America that is more likely to cause severe disease symptoms. The new strain is called neuropathogenic or neurotropic Equine Herpes Virus -1, nEHV-1.

“nEHV -1 can be spread directly between horses through the nasal secretions of infected horses,” says Hauer. “The disease can also be transferred indirectly by equipment and people, although again, it poses no human health risk.”

The best practices to protect your horses from this and other infectious diseases are to follow sound biosecurity practices. These practices prevent the spread of infectious disease. Best biosecurity practices include: •hand washing in between handling individual horses
                          •no sharing of equipment and feeding utensils between horses
                          •changing your clothes and footwear after handling sick equines
                          •disinfect any environment and equipment exposed to sick equines (stalls, trailers, tack)
                          •monitor your horses closely for signs of infection (fever, loss of appetite, nasal discharge, lethargy, etc.)
                          •if your horse is not well, call your veterinarian to determine the cause of illness
                          •prevent exposure of your horse to sick horses
                          •vaccinate your horses against common infectious diseases – while vaccinations don’t specifically protect horses against nEHV-1, they do prevent other diseases and make your horse more likely to remain healthy
                          •speak to your veterinarian about the vaccines you should use on your horses
                          “People can continue to enjoy equine activities if they apply some simple precautions for keeping horses healthy,” says Hauer. “Horse owners are encouraged to contact their local veterinarian to discuss their concerns regarding nEHV-1 and biosecurity practices.”

To learn more about equine biosecurity, visit the Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development website. As well as general information on biosecurity, there is species specific biosecurity protocols for the industry. On the website, you can also access the Equine Biosecurity Principles and Best Practices Guide.

Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian
                          780-427-3448
                          Fax : 780-415-0810

There is NO mention anywhere about a tracability program requirement... or premises requirement for Horses.

Comment

A premises ID is required on the invoice or Bill of Lading Tom.

Comment

NOT on any of my Transport Bills required for private horse movement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...