• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

last question: Are Australian farmers stupid?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last question: Are Australian farmers stupid?

A number of posters are calling for the CWB board to resign if they cannot make a voluntary board work. Posters have said Oberg and directors must be stupid if they cannot come up with a plan.

Seeing that the AWB only lasted only a few years after losing monopoly, inspite of the fact they had grain handling assets and a cash fund, does this mean posters on this list believe Australian farmers must be stupid since they could not maintain a voluntary AWB?

I am one of those posters who actually
    wants the cwb gone, period. If they can't
    survive because of their stupidity, I will
    be happy to never hear the term "cwb", evr
    again.

Comment

dml,

The facts are... Au. farmers agreed to the sale of the AWB. They got PAID well... to let a commercial provider run the pool... which they can still participate in.

SMART move... especially after it is... again... proven that absolute power corrupts absolutely!!!

Ontario has a voluntary pooling and cash pricing system... I would take any second of the day...AND IT IS STILL THERE.

Nice rabbit trail... Too bad the CWB couldn't pull premium grain prices... out of a hat... (the single desk)?

Single desk buying monopolies... with 4 per cent of world production controled... are not in place to benefit the growers who must sell through them. Everyone else BUT growers... benefit... because it turns out to be a cost plus system... with growers paying the bill.

You pay the bill dml... I will gladly give you my share of the ships... AT COST! OWN a Boat Anchor... invest in the CWB 'single desk'!!!

Cheers!

Comment

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump

I'm with Freewheat.

Comment

We are the stupid ones, we cant see the roses for the weeds. What makes me most upset about the whole CWB debate in the pro CWB wont make any compromises. They wont bent one inch, all or nothin. Makes me mad as hell. Nothing good is comming out of this whole shitstorm. I once said that there is a place for pooling, but now Oberg and his troops can march off the cliff and take their CWB with them.

Comment

what is actually the process and timeline for this all to happen or is it just piss and wind from the govt?

from what i can read and understand it depends how you interpret the govt platform regarding this during the election,wasnt exactly sure a electoral win actually gave a huge mandate for change, potentially it gave a mandate which is quite different than saying it did.

sorry tom and co but im just a outsider looking in and you know which side of the fence i sit

Comment

Mallee,

Clearly western Canadian grain growers are ready for this change... the CWB published survey... is easy to understand.... they did it themselves.

Here is the Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association news release that accurately demonstrates this:

Media Release
              July 5, 2011

CWB survey confirms growing support
              for marketing choice

The annual Canadian Wheat Board producer survey, released quietly last week, once again shows increased support for marketing choice.

“A growing number of farmers are embracing the idea of marketing choice,” says Kevin Bender, President of the Wheat Growers. “Most farmers no longer support the CWB monopoly and see a voluntary CWB as a workable option.”

The survey shows that 58% of respondents support either marketing choice or an open market for wheat, while 41% favour the monopoly. Support for the monopoly is down 7 points from the 48% figure in the 2010 producer survey.

On barley, 62% of respondents support marketing choice or an open market. Only 29% support the CWB monopoly with 10% undecided. Support for the monopoly is down from 34% in last year’s survey.

The survey also shows that young farmers overwhelming reject the CWB monopoly. On wheat, only 24% of farmers under age 45 support the monopoly compared to 57% support for those farmers over age 65.

Based on the overall results, the number of respondents over age 65 appears to be almost equal to the number of respondents that are under age 45. The Wheat Growers have asked the CWB to confirm the age distribution, as well as the provincial breakdown of respondents.

Past surveys have been skewed by under-representation from Alberta farmers. While we do not know if that’s the case again this year, it’s clear that Alberta farmers overwhelming support marketing choice. On wheat only 26% of Alberta farmers support the monopoly, compared to 56% who support marketing choice and a further 16% who support no CWB at all.

The Wheat Growers also note that 62% of decided respondents said they were “happier with the prices I get for non-CWB grains than I am for wheat or durum.”

The survey results show the folly of the CWB’s decision to have a meaningless producer survey in July. “Why go through the expense of another survey when existing surveys show that a majority of farmers no longer support the monopoly?” asks Geoff Hewson, Saskatchewan Vice President of the Wheat Growers. “Besides, my right to sell my grain in the manner I choose should not depend on whether my neighbour wants to sell his grain collectively or not.”

For further comment, please contact:
              Kevin Bender
              President
              (403) 350-4949

Geoff Hewson
              Saskatchewan Vice President
              (306) 736-7836

Comment

Mallee,

Here is what Minister Ritz had to say about your question last week (June 29th) at the Grain Growers of Canada AGM:

Stephen Vandervalk: My name is Stephen Vandervalk. I’m the President of the Grain Growers of Canada, and I’d like to welcome Minister Ritz to our summer meeting.

(Applause)

Hon. Gerry Ritz: Well, thank you, Stephen. I think there’s more media than farmers. That’s always a good sign. Must be something on, eh?

I’m pleased to join you here this morning, and Stephen and I talked about the availability of me getting here. I was certainly thrilled to make that happen. So on behalf of the Prime Minister and our government, thank you for the great job you do. And I’m sure many of you have heard our government speak on a number of occasions, and I know I’m a firm believer in this, that when it comes to the important things in life, there are three different paths you can choose. One is you can lead, the other is you can follow, and of course the third path, the dead end, says get out of the way. And I want to thank the Grain Growers of Canada and the other groups for leading on these important issues.

Grain Growers and the member groups, backed by 80,000 successful grain farmers across Canada, it’s a tremendous success story. You always come to the table with positive, constructive solutions on how best to move your industry forward, and I thank you for that. As farmers, you know how to find practical, commonsense solutions and help implement them for the benefit of your own business plans and the greater good of the industry. Your hard work has played a key role in Canada’s grain industry, a powerhouse that brings $16 billion to the farm gate and makes up almost half of our agricultural exports.

But what was once Canada’s signature crop has fallen behind. Grain innovation has become stagnant, and farmers are more often choosing to grow other crops such as canola, which has surpassed wheat in value. A C.D. Howe report released last week confirmed that Canada’s share of annual worldwide wheat production has fallen by 50 percent over the last few years. Similarly, Canadian market share in world barley exports has declined by 40 percent since the 1980’s. With a reduced market share, the Canadian Wheat Board has less influence on the world stage and, as a result, has, as you know, become a price taker. Even at this state, we know that the global potential for wheat, durum and barley is high, especially with the quality and consistency of Canadian supply. But the monopoly of the Wheat Board is standing in the way.

Now, let me elaborate for those who aren’t farmers in the room – and there are a few – about what it takes to deliver the safe, high-quality grain Canada is known for. Many of the farmers in this room have just come through some of the toughest weeks in recent history. With any luck, they’ll begin their harvest late summer/early fall. Already they’ve begun making market decisions on their canola, their pulses, oats, flax, and other non-board crops. But when the time comes to sell their wheat, durum and barley, they’ll be forced by antiquated laws to sell it through the Canadian Wheat Board.

For the non-farming Canadian, perhaps the system seems unclear, so let me use an example. Let’s say you’re a downtown Winnipeg condo owner, and you’ve received a good price for your condo from your next-door neighbour. You both will save on the real estate commission and wrap up the deal by the end of the day. It’s a win-win. But wait. The fictional Real Estate Board says you can only sell your condo through them, and at a lower price plus commission. If you still want to sell it to the neighbour, you must first sell it to the board then buy it back. Should you choose to ignore the board, you could go to jail.

So getting back to our grain monopoly, when it comes to selling your Board grains, you’re told you don’t have the intelligence to do that, regardless of the fact that you decide what to plant, when to plant, when to spray, when to harvest and market all your other crops, as well as all these other decisions on your infrastructure – the land, the buildings and the machinery – millions of dollars in your hands. The Board tells you you just don’t have the business sense that farmers in the rest of Canada and around the world enjoy in selling their own product. Some believe that one farmer’s ability to sell through the Canadian Wheat Board outweighs another farmer’s right to choose otherwise. They wrongly believe the status quo is good enough in the western Canadian grain industry. And I’m here to tell you enough is enough.

This Harper – the Harper government knows that when it comes time to sell your grain, you deserve the right to choose the timing, the price and the buyer. You are smart enough to make your own business decisions. If the Board is as effective as it claims to be, you will give them your business freely and willingly. This government acknowledges that you deserve the same rights that other farmers enjoy in the rest of Canada. Furthermore, if farmers like you have been market—have marketing freedom, Canada will again attract more investment, more value-added opportunities, and more jobs.

We’ve made our commitment clear in our campaign platform and again in our Throne Speech. We said that a strong majority Conservative government would ensure that western Canadian grain farmers, and I quote, “are given the freedom to choose whether to sell their grain on the open market or through the Canadian Wheat Board.” We will deliver on that commitment and make sure that the market is finally controlled by the experts in the grain industry – that’s you.

I’ve informed the Canadian Wheat Board of our government’s intentions. I made it clear that the status quo is not an option. Since then, reality has fallen prey to rhetoric from the usual suspects. Let me dispel a few of the more creative myths that I’m sure you’ve heard. Myth number one: There seems to be a lot of revisionist history as to why the Canadian Wheat Board was created in the first place. As most of you might know, when the Board was first imposed on western Canadian farmers our situation was much different. Canadians had just come through the Great Depression, World War II was raging, and Canada was committed to supplying cheap wheat to Britain. It was 1943 when farmers were forced by law to sell through this Board. It was done with the aim of aiding the war effort by keeping prices low, not with any pretense that it would be good for western Canadian farmers.

So what’s changed since 1943? Just about everything. For starters, it’s now 2011, not 1943. Canada is coming through the recent global economic recession stronger than a lot of other countries. Our national debt is relatively low, our workforce is healthy, and our agriculture industry is driving our economy. Unfortunately, the one thing that hasn’t changed is that you folks are still forced by law to sell your wheat, durum and barley through this outdated Board.

Myth number two: Some mistakenly claim that the monopoly was put in place by farmers or for farmers. Last I checked, when I joined an organization, as you have, that organization represents me and I decide whether I want to join or not. I decide whether to give them my financial support, and I decide whether to let them speak on my behalf. In 1943 the government, not farmers, told you that you must use the Board to market your crops, and you must also pay the administration costs of the Board – which leads me to myth number three.

It’s been incorrectly said that the farmers are the only ones who pay for the Board. This myth makes me think that someone needs a new calculator. For example, in 2003 federal taxpayers had to backstop the Board with more than $80 million due to questionable marketing and management that particular year. And on the issue of a plebiscite, no plebiscite should ever trump the rights of those farmers who wish to choose to market their own grain. While the Board only wants to grant a percentage of farmers their way, our government wants all farmers in western Canada to have the ability to market their wheat and barley as they choose. Furthermore, prairie farmers elected a strong majority to deliver on our promise to give western Canadian grain farmers the freedom to decide when, where and how they market their grain.

Western Canadian farmers deserve the same marketing opportunities enjoyed by other farmers in other parts of Canada and around the world. Farmers themselves have also said that they do not support a plebiscite by this Board. Just yesterday the Western Canadian Wheat Growers called it an illegitimate plebiscite. You folks rightly pointed out that the Wheat Board should instead work to ensure a smooth transition for farmers, including those who wish who can tell you continue to sell through a Board-like entity. Like you, our government will not deny the right of those farmers who wish to continue to use the Board. Unlike the Board, we are working together to ensure that all farmers will have that choice. Again, we ask the Board to roll up their sleeves and work with us and you, and only in the best interests of farmers who want choice and in the best interests of those who continue to support that type of entity..."

THat should be clear enough... don't you think Mallee???

Here is Richard Phillips (GGC Executive Director) on Sun Media doing a interview on the same subject:

Wheat wars

June 29, 2011 18:16

The fight against Alberta's [and western Canada's] wheat board is dragging on, Richard Philips joins to speak against the wheat board's monopoly

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/wheat-wars/1031138106001

Comment

perfectly clear.
                  re number here most votes regarding this issue had to be a 75% majority before anyone took notice.

my tip is it will be some sort of dual market or liscensing system at first rather than full blown open market.
                  followed by open market sometime later upon reflection of a few years of semi open market.

all players will lift there game and those who choose to stay with cwb may find a revatalized cwb once competition arrives, but then again it shouldnt take this to make it happen.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...