• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Results of the 2011 CWB Producer Survey Released

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results of the 2011 CWB Producer Survey Released

[URL="http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/farmers/surveys/producer/pdf/survey_062911.pdf"]2011 CWB Producer Survey[/URL]

Very interesting results. Take time to review.

Comment

In many instances, there is some pretty damning evidence against the pro-CWB supporters. My concern is how some of the results can be skewed. For example, we all know there are fewer farmers under the age of 45 versus over 65. For the most part, most farmers under the age of 45 support some form of choice in marketing, but when you read some of the total results they will slant to a majority support of the CWB mainly because of more votes from an aging group. This is all fine and dandy until the day comes when this group decides to retire and what we have left is a CWB that is completely out of touch with the group of farmers that want choice.

I hope my thoughts are articulated well enough for everyone to understand. Sometimes what goes on in my brain doesn't necessarily translate onto a keyboard.

In addition, on page 37 of the report, can someone explain to me the difference between a farmer and a producer?

Comment

puckbag here is the difference.

A "producer" is in touch with their operation that produces agricultural commodities. They know their costs of production, efficiencies, desired ROI and know and understand crop production, fertility, herbicide management. They understand that with rising costs they must generate enough income to replace equipment and do what is neccesary to make it all happen. They are the future of food production in Canada.

A "farmer" is the old guys at Vittera this morning. One fellow stood there with his fly open, coffee stains on his shirt asking if had any grain to cash up. Another one that looked like he just arose from the grave was wondering if they had any chemical to kill some weeds in his field (had no idea what he was trying to kill). The third one (who i knew)cashed up and then asked how much he was getting for his grain.. These are examples of farmers puckbag. This morning 4 out of 5 were over the age of 65. I was out voted 4-1. Hence the wheatboards overwhelming 75% support.

Comment

JD green, you must have been in my
          elevator this morning. What kin
          i spray to get some kind a hairy weed
          outta my wheat?

Comment

The day I start calling myself a "Producer" is the day Farming dies. Yall kin be Sellouts, I ain't buyin..........

Comment

page 18,

" If you had to choose between three different approaches to marketing wheat, which of the following would you prefer?"

Soley CWB gets....<b>41%</b>

Which puts you monos in the 'minority' position....again.

Comment

Ha!!

Same question for barley and soley CWB gets... 29%

Looks like the Board is getting less popular all the time.

Comment

Fransisco,

Truly those farms with under 2500ac have much less motivation to change the system... as they for sure have much LESS to lose by leaving the system as it is.

It takes time and effort to do a good job of marketing Board grains... it is NOT free... and not simple.

Very understandable why older folks or smaller farms are OK with CWB as it is now... the great hand of the CWB levels the board and pools are often the best market and return... that they can see...

Easy and quick... Money stolen from commercial grain operations, and given to those many smaller and older growers who like a social program to make life simple... and have little motivation financially to be responsible for their own marketing.

Comment

BTO??????????????????? Let me guess you were the one standing in line with your fly open and the mornings coffee on your shirt??? Seriously I thought you were a little sharper than the average producer/farmer ;-)

Comment

I do not think any money is given back to older producers. I think they just do not care what they lose as long as everyone gets the same price.

Comment

Newguy,

The PPO system is a tax... the contingency fund holds the taxes collected... and pays back the pool for the blunders the CWB marketeers make in hedging and sales mistakes.

Taking $40/t off my payment... plus the basis and feed deductions that are no where near fair market value... prove the PPO system is no more than a collection platform for the CWB pool accounts.

Grain Growers are crazy... to allow the CWB to have lost 100's of millions... in discretionary trading losses... and let the CWB get away with the fiasco scott free without even a wimper of objection that would force the CWB to pay fair market value for our grain.

And now... take a million dollars out of our returns... to fund a survey with the design of telling us all we have no clue what our grain is worth... or how to market it?

Sorry... I forgot... ONLY the CWB knows how to market grain... because they have no cost of purchasing that grain... in the first instance... it is all loaned to them... by the pool at less than fair market value.

How selling grain... that the CWB cost is always less than the sale price of that grain... will ever extract premium values...

Is beyond all rational and logical economic principal!

Comment

It would appear the 2011 Producer Survey got pulled off the web. Interesting.

Comment

It just loaded fine for me Charlie... how come? They put it back up?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...