• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How a couple tents ended a good week of seeding!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How a couple tents ended a good week of seeding!

Yesterday after noon we were going full bore, the ground seemed to finally get to that place where you could seed and not be sitting on pins and needles. HA. Shower started on radar over Yorkton then moved south west and Bam, Holy Crap can it come down when it wants to. Hugh.
    Thought well in 3 hours or so we will be good to go, Clay was sticky slippery crap. Had 10 acres to finish on quarter then move South again. Well lest just say the 10 acres took quite a while.
    So if just a sprinkle can stop seeding what the hell does 1.75 inches do to a acre already to wet. From last years experience it just about finishes you. We have dodged the bullet so far this spring as just on the Rain, Snow Line. But its not June 7Th yet.
    Frost possible later this week. Early canola could get thinned out. Same old same old. Mother nature Gets you just when you think you got it all figured out.
    Funny story Large guy who farms by us Harrowed a quarter I have beside his three. I thanked him. HAHAHAH. I would have let his men seed it but it was canola last year and canola on canola doesn't work in long run.
    Roads are giving out every where, Guy driving down road with drill suddenly stopped got out and saw that ditch pealed away and down his drill went to packers.
    Back to topic how much rain did the SE and Manitoba get and how dry is it in NE.

And to think I thought you went TENTING with family...

Comment

I wish we had only got a tenth or two but 8.5 tenth to 3 inchs. Seeding is over to June if ti stops raining. We are in SE sask.

Comment

South Central Manitoba- 1.5 -3.7" on land that was too wet on friday before the rain. This is the Morden,Winkler area, a lot of corn,beans and potatoes are grown on these acres. Not sure when or what will be planted when(if?)it dries up.
        Usually by May Long all but a few acres of edible beans are in, this year maybe 20% planted at best.

Comment

First shower this morning since April.
          Very wet under the surface, top and wet spots are drying, conditions are mostly ideal, unless it starts raining.

Most was fallow, makes a good seed bed, except for lumpy where crusted.
          Most are half done in the area.

Where you are extreme wet, that was us last year, after this date no seeding was done.

Comment

1.25 on top of the 2.1 May 10,,,geting rain every 7-10 days, just get going or close to and then the rain moves in. Over 6" of moisture since Apr 1st. Very little seeded here, and what is, are lighter and or higher well drained areas and whats left are lower and heavier soils, which means a reduced chance of getting seed in.
            SESK

Comment

just checked forecast, calling for 90% chance for another 1/2 inch again on Sat., just about the time we'll be ready to try it again!

Comment

We lucked out in my area this year only 2 tenths and needed it to help germination, seems a lot of my seed was just in that top dust part, should be ok now. The unworked fallow was nice to plant into. I am also broke down and don't have to worry about working today :-), 75 percent done so if only get that light rain over night yet should be able to finish by week end.

Comment

Just double checked the forcast on mysask we could get mixed precipitation. Wow snow this time of year???

Comment

Check again, it's just cloudy low of 2C for 2 days, then sunny for 5 days.
                    I'd bet frost if clear. WN agrees.

Comment

Snow would protect the plants from frost.

Comment

so anywhere from 0.5" to 3.5" in last 3 days from Swift Current south to Val Marie. We are 75% done here but most are 40-50%.. South land received 1.4" at noon in 2 hrs . Thank god its seeded. Its hard to believe what others are going through in the east if its this wet here. No one has turned a wheel here in 3 days except those with rubber packer hawks and masters. :-)

Comment

I would bet the 5710 anchors are sitting in the yards?

Comment

Rained and spit and not a productive day. Oh yea we knocked down a power pole. YEA long weekend and all boy that should cost oh lets say a fortune. Then took the shifter control out on 9520 and a fan motor on Flexi Coil. Should have stayed at home today. But god are those Vodkas and Ginger-ale going down gooddddddddddddd.

Comment

Furrowtickler:

I would bet the 5710 anchors are sitting in the yards?

Please explain the comment. Are they that junky of a seeder or too heavy as Bourgault seems to build things???

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...