• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFU: Farmers, Not Government, Should Decide CWB Future.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFU: Farmers, Not Government, Should Decide CWB Future.

NFU: Farmers, Not Government, Should Decide CWB Future

Media Release

Saskatoon, Sask. – The NFU is calling on the new Harper majority government to respect to the wishes of Western Canadian farmers regarding the Canadian Wheat Board’s (CWB) single-desk selling advantage.

“We now have a Conservative majority government and one of the questions on the minds of prairie grain farmers is the status of single-desk selling for the Canadian Wheat Board. We have been told by the Harper government repeatedly that they believe that prairie farmers should decide on this issue. We hope that they will honour that commitment.” stated NFU President Terry Boehm.

“Farmers have consistently elected pro-single-desk directors to the Board of the CWB and in the last round of director elections this past fall farmers again spoke and elected four out five directors who were clearly supporting the single desk. Indeed, it was almost five out of five, but for a few votes in one district. The majority of farmers have consistently spoken out loud and clear in support of the CWB, and its single desk selling of wheat and barley. They do so because they understand that this is in their own best interests for achieving the best returns for their farms,” continued Boehm.

“Support for the Board crosses all political boundaries and parties. We have something unique that developed out of a long struggle for farmers to market their grain from a position of strength, rather than accepting the price offered by a few multinational grain companies which dominate the world’s grain trade. The CWB is good for farmers and good for the economy of Canada as a whole. If we dismantle this unique institution it will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to bring it back. Let us hope that ideology will not overtake good business sense when it comes to the CWB,” concluded Boehm.

The CWB markets over 20 million tonnes of grain on the world market on behalf of western Canadian farmers. This gives our farmers tremendous market power. Last year the CWB’s sales program was valued at $5.2 billion.

The NFU can kiss my a$$.....

Comment

THats exactly what the N FU can do. FU.

Comment

long struggle for farmers to market their grain from a position of strength, rather than accepting the price offered by a few multinational grain companies which dominate the world’s grain trade.

Nice comment, NFU. So now after this long struggle to get the CWB, we have to accept a pathetic price, 20% at a crack, from one single entity. And wait for payment in full for 18 months? What a crock. Nice try NFU. But FU, nfu, I will sell my own wheat thank you very much.

Comment

Maybe the cwb could have respected farmers and asked about the boat purchase.

My hope is the boats get cancelled and the directors get the separation costs instead of farmers.

Comment

We elected pro cwb candidates. Like we had much to choose from in the first place. In the barley poll we wanted market choice cannot deny that. Our gov't does not want to ask us again, we already just voted. Read and weep, get over it already.

Comment

The nfu can piss up a rope.

Then they can f off.

Comment

The nfu lost - PERIOD

Comment

The NFU can keep on selling to the CWB, I just want a choice to sell to the highest bidder for my wheat and barley. WHY SHOULD I BE HELD CAPTIVE BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE DONT WANT CHANGE!!!

Comment

Breadwinner, agreed. The NFU can absolutely, fully and completely contiunue to sell their wheat to the CWB. I simply want my freedom to sell on my own. If the CWB is so skilled, the free enterprise guys like me will take a beating in the open market and then shortly be running for cover under the CWB umbrella.

Comment

Does anyone remember just a few months ago when the cwb could not fill boats and were paying demurrage for over a month. Just exactly where were all these nfu board supporters then? That's right they couldn't fill the boats.

That's how much influence they should have. They could not even get 600000 tonnes between the lot of them to help the cwb out.

The government brought in the cwb and they can take it out as well.

Comment

Mistake, I meant to say 60,000 tonnes not 600,000 tonnes.

Comment

I figure let the diehard cwb guys sell their grain to them. Let the rest of us market our own for more money,sit back and see how long it takes for the diehards to realize their getting f*****.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...