• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A future with a voluntary cwb

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A future with a voluntary cwb

I was wondering what you guys think will happen say 5 years from now.

Will we see more direct buyers?

Will we have more processing here in the West?

Any negative consequences?

Buzz,

What has happened to Canola?

Why not wheat and barley as well?

Comment

A negative consequence I see is that some farmers will feel like they have to leave home for the first time. Some have a strong attachment to the CWB. They have convinced themselves they cannot cope selling wheat and barley on their own, even though they sell canola.

It's an emotional attachment.

It too will pass. One day they will sit up and say F%^& it!

Comment

Don't bet on it Parsley. We still have guys in Ontario that would never even consider NOT selling through the board. Doesn't even cross their mind to ask what other prices are being offered.
        That's 100% their choice though.

Comment

They will need to downsize. They will have to be more cash direct to farmers instead of just inventing a new program to solve problems. May still market grain through CWB if pools were 3 or 4 months long and were competitive pricing. Can not wait to be able to choose...

Comment

Good questions BUZZ.
            I do hope they are answered before any changes are made.

Comment

dalek - I took a drive around Easter through the heart of the grain growing area in Ont. I was impressed how your wheat acres are increasing. Especially Hard Red spring. Total opposite in western Canada. One of the big reasons I saw for this in talking with producers - is the way industry is working with plant breeders and growers in bringing varieties that they need for their products in the market place. Then contracting with producers and grain handling companies to fill the supply chain. We in Western Canada can not even say we have any "real" milling or other wheat related industries in Canada. There is a huge shift in the way things are being done in your area since the opportunity to market the way you prefer. Which we in western Canada still dream about. Do we have those that think like some of your producers - not even looking for the possible prices outside the board. Of course. Just watch the tape from our good CWB director. Shows we are at least still 40 years behind you guys.

Comment

TOM,
                What has happened to oats?

Why not wheat and barley as well?

Comment

Yes, what has happened to oats? Back in the 80s, three-quarters ended up as feed at low prices. Now, we have big processors in all three provinces and three-quarters of the oats is made into food, at higher prices. Check the data from Stats Canada. Bring it on!

Comment

SASKFARMER3 Reply posted Apr 1, 2011 8:25
                    ".....One reason might be that the oats buyers think farmers in Western Canada are idiots and going to grow oats this spring because its wet. Here is a simple thought since oats is trading way lower than any other crop and their was a ps poor crop last year most farmers have lots of choices this spring. Oats will be forgotten on most farms especially if it stays wet."

Comment

Redbaron I have to say I was kind of surprised a few
                      years back when durum started to be grown down
                      around Blyth in Ontario, that was all about a processor
                      working together with lots of partners to find the right
                      variety and make it work. Sounds like that's going
                      pretty well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...