• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston we have a problem

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston we have a problem

Calling for another 5 to 10 centimeters.

>26984853_630609852_8498662_2907220_n.jpg"/>

Makes one wonder is this the new climate we are going to be dealing with. The other side is frosts seem to be comming earlier in the fall.

Guys on here talking about 6 out of last 10 yrs. Is this the new normal. Should we be adjusting cropping/farming to accomodate.

There used to be a 60 day barley anybody know where there is any seed? Maybe we should be researching 60 day wheat or perenial wheat.

Doesn't matter if it is roundup ready if you can't get it in the ground early enough to avoid fall frost.

I'm not saying I don't think we will get seeded, it is still earley and we don't know what the fall will be like. But when it starts happening too many years in a row it does become the norm.

Comment

Just wondering where this photo was taken. My heart goes out to the people in this are. Take care.

Comment

My question is, "where is the global warming we
        have been promised?"

Comment

My question is, "where is the global warming we
          have been promised?"

Comment

You can ask that again.

Comment

On the bright side the summerfallow won't blow.

Comment

When the wind blows there will be whitecaps on the summerfallow.

We've got lakes where we've never had them before, but nothing like what's in that picture.

Comment

And THEN...

From BNN:

Goldman says commodity markets frothy

"The great commodity bull run of the last two years may be coming to an end—at least according to Goldman Sachs. The king of Wall Street’s investment banks issued a report this week telling investors it’s pulling out of its commodity trades. While Goldman says commodity prices could still move higher, the “near-term risk reward no longer favours being long in the basket.” The company also citied “record speculative length” in the commodities market, which may be pushing up prices. Making matters worse for the commodity-driven Canadian market was another report by Goldman recommending investors sell Canadian equities. Can’t a Canadian catch a break…"

Comment

Well my guess that if canada is not in the market and the northern tier states are taken out, things might be interesting.

But maybe that imaginary line isn't getting snow south of it.

Anyone guessing on the open? The bankers say to get out? About mid may they will be wishing they hadn't.

I must be too close to the forest to see the trees. In rubber boots/snoshoes no less.

Its too bad people keep looking at historical crap when gauging this market. Recent history, since the coming of the white man on the canadian prairies have never seen moisture like this.

When a 1/4" of moisture continues to make soup in the fields, someone had better believe there is a problem.

Comment

I think most producers realize there is big possibility of problem. My question is what is everyones back up plan? How are most going to handle it?

Comment

I will spend more time at the lake.

What else can you do? Go rut up the fields that may or may not dry out? And then spend a small fortune fixing the mess in the field or on equipment?

For a crop that the investment bankers/assholes don't have a sniff about growing, devalue on a whim?

Comment

Mbratrud,whats your opinion on the souris river?

Comment

What am I supposed to be looking at?? Oak Hammock Marsh??? Judging by the smell of money in the air at Auction Sales, Dads pockets are deep, deep, deep. Ain't no worries if'n yous aint seed this year by the sounds of it, try again next year. Look at the bright side, yous kin spend more time at the beach playin in the sand. Heck yous ain't wanna work anyway, take a year off, looks like yous need a rest..........

Comment

This photo is taken between Weyburn and Estevan Sask.

I think with the water problems expanding from the problems that were seen in East Central Sask last year to the SE,SW Parts of Alberta and the Red River Valley 8 Million Acres unseeded last year will look like a walk in the park.

On the bright side when we do the math if a guy can get 30 - 50% seeded and do better off those acres due to higher prices, and then collect our $70 per acre on unseeded, most guys can live another day. And spend a little more time at the lake. Which happens to be out my front door.

Maybe it will slow down the inflation on Input and Equipment costs, but Judging from Auction Sales that may not happen.

CP - This cold weather is helping the river catch up. I think its dropped about 6 inches in the last few days. There is still a lot of water to make the river. North of us the is millions of gallons that have not started to run. I would expect when we return to higher temps the river will be up again. If we ever return to higher temps? What does it look like South of town?

I would say today in our area around Weyburn without a drastic change in weather 1/3 of the land wont get seeded. I would say that number will climb dramitically if we don't see a 14 day moisture free stretch soon.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...