• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misinformation about wheat board

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misinformation about wheat board

Fransisco, did you see this?

"Misinformation about wheat board
    Ottawa Citizen January 29, 2011 Re: Canadian farmers pay the price, Jan. 22.

David Anderson, upon assuming his position as parliamentary secretary, took an oath to perform his duties, but has unfortunately engaged in the use of his office to attack one of the institutions he is responsible for. This institution, the Canadian Wheat Board, operates from a mandate of ensuring that western grain farmers receive the highest return from the marketplace possible. Sadly, Anderson has been working to undermine the CWB from the moment this government assumed office and perpetuates misinformation in the extreme. As bad, the Harper government imposed a gag order on the CWB elected farmer directors, such that they face fines and jail terms if they defend the board publicly.

The CWB earned the following net per-tonne premiums for western Canadian farmers in 2008-09: $6.65 for wheat; $15.37 for durum wheat and $14.65 for designated barley. Figures for the 2009-10 crop year will be available when tabled in Parliament by law, shortly.

According to independent surveys, CWB customers rate the CWB highly for everything, everything except the premium prices they have no choice but to pay thanks to the single-desk marketing model.

As for Anderson's desire for the same options as my eastern counterparts, he is obviously not aware that Quebec farmers market their wheat for human consumption through a single desk. Ontario farmers chose otherwise, and lack-lustre financial results tell that tale. In all three cases, Western Canada, Ontario and Quebec, it is farmers themselves who have decided democratically on the marketing model that they use.

Why does Secretary Anderson misrepresent the truth and so disrespect farmer's democratic decisions?

Wayne Easter

MP, Liberal Agriculture critic, Ottawa"

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Misinformation about wheat board/4189058/story.html#ixzz1FAwYrXGe

Wayne Easter gives notice in the above admission... Quebec and Ontario are responsible for marketing their own wheat... even though the CWB applies to all of Canada.

Notice to Provincial Governments:

It should be clear... it is legislation at the provincial level... that democratically decides if growers need their own marketing board.. or the CWB.

The CWB act is a simple 'default' to an otherwise Constitutionally enforced Federal/Provincial shared jurisdiction.

Why are growers in SK. and AB so afraid of being responsible to market their own wheat PROVINCIALLY and turf the CWB in Winnipeg?

Does anyone... really believe for one second... that if Alberta wheat growers who were responsible to pay for transportation of their wheat... would insist that we buy two ships they will never use?

Wayne Easter... you totally misrepresent the facts. LOOK at the CFIB survey. Look at the CWB survey itself. Wayne... you are a liberal hack. You do not in any way speak for my farm... or family.

Liberals who are so hypocritical, misinformed... and unethical... belong with Saddam Hussein in the scrap book of historical blunders!

Comment

Easter has never been particularly passionate about the truth.

Comment

I love this statement Mr. Easter makes.

"This institution, the Canadian Wheat Board, operates from a mandate of ensuring that western grain farmers receive the highest return from the marketplace possible."

What does it even mean? Ensuring something that can always be debated as to what is. Whatever.

Comment

"This institution, the Canadian Wheat Board, operates from a mandate of ensuring that western grain farmers receive the highest return from the marketplace possible."

Does this mean the CWB is supposed to sell at the peak of the market? I guess they are in violation of their mandate.

Comment

<i>"This institution, the Canadian Wheat Board, operates from a mandate of ensuring that western grain farmers receive the highest return from the marketplace possible."</i>

... that can be achieved by a bloated unaccountable compulsory bureaucracy.

Comment

Tom. What misinformation is Mr. Easter spreading?

Comment

Geez, you'd almost think Wayne Easter had some kind of connection to the NFU or something..............

Comment

"The CWB earned the following net per-tonne premiums for western Canadian farmers in 2008-09: $6.65 for wheat; $15.37 for durum wheat and $14.65 for designated barley"
                  Where does that info come from? Does Wayne Easter take what the facts that the conservatives give on issues at face value and not get third person confirmation? If the CWB puts it in a press release then it must be true. Even if those premiums are real its pretty pathetic that you need that whole organization to get premiums like that never mind all the costs associated with storage, quality risks, cash flow, interest, loss of forward sales, opportunity costs, variety/yield loss, no domestic processing, extra freight costs, lower domestic feed costs, acre battle costs, gradings losses ETC.

Comment

How is this premium determined? What does the CWB compare it to? Is it a premium to feed wheat in the US?

Comment

Lifer,

OBVIOUSLY MP ANDERSON is painfully aware... that Quebec AND Ontario... want absolutely NOTHING to do with the CWB 'single desk'.

Why haven't these Quebec AND Ontario growers been begging the Conservatives and Liberals since 1993 'Goodale' monopoly was formed... to join the ranks of western grain growers in sharing all these extra $$$ Billions that the 'single desk'?

If we can easily extract extra $$$ from all our so very satisfied customers why NOT? I haven't heard I eastern grower EVER ask me to 'share' the CWB premiums with them!!!

Shucks... PEI is having a real hard time with their spuds... why doesn't Easter have them join into the CWB... Easter could have made a massive difference to the local PEI AG economy... if they had only got in on all the CWB monopoly premiums and sales winfalls!!! They could have bought 2 more ships... and revolutionized the balance of trade and GDP in Canada...

I am TRULY afraid to ask why I needed to point out the obvious... LIFER...

Background Quote:

"As for Anderson's desire for the same options as my eastern counterparts, he is obviously not aware that Quebec farmers market their wheat for human consumption through a single desk. Ontario farmers chose otherwise, and lack-lustre financial results tell that tale. In all three cases, Western Canada, Ontario and Quebec, it is farmers themselves who have decided democratically on the marketing model that they use."

Comment

Nothing about the CWB from Wayne Easter should be accepted as factual. For example: "The CWB act is a simple 'default' to an otherwise Constitutionally enforced Federal/Provincial shared jurisdiction."

The Supreme Court has consistently and clearly stated that the CWB Act falls under the Constitutional head of REGULATION OF TRADE AND COMMERCE. This is not a shared jurisdiction as is AGRICULTURE.

The Supreme Court ruled that the CWB Act does not fall under AGRICULTURE. An attempt many years ago to create a Saskatchewan Wheat Board was shot down in the courts.

Comment

Tom
                          I appreciate your passion and desire for change. I thank you for consistently sharing on this board. I know that you didn’t have to respond to my clarifying question. You were and are free to.
                          What may be obvious to you is not obvious to me. Each one of us sees things through our own eyes, our own bias, our own experiences. Our own fears.
                          Tom from your perspective you read that:
                          “Wayne Easter gives notice in the above admission... Quebec and Ontario are responsible for marketing their own wheat... even though the CWB applies to all of Canada. “
                          I didn’t read that. I read that farmers in western Canada, Quebec and Ontario had a choice as to their marketing systems. I don’t see that as meaning they are responsible for marketing their own wheat. That other legislation no longer applies to Ontario and Quebec.
                          I would have the following questions from the article.
                          Are these Mr. Easter’s words?
                          Did Mr. Anderson attack the institution or was he engaged in constructive criticism to help save the institution?
                          Does the CWB operate from a mandate of ensuring that western grain farmers receive the highest return from the marketplace possible
                          How is this premium determined? What does the CWB compare it to? (same questions as gregpet)
                          What are the lack-lustre financial results that Ontario farmers experienced?
                          Did Western Canadian farmers democratically decide their marketing model?
                          How does the conservative party respond?
                          What do the conservatives really want in regards to wheat marketing in Western Canada?
                          Does this kind of article even mean anything? Is it worth the time to respond to?
                          I guess I am just tired of rhetoric wherever it is coming from.
                          Thanks again for your post it encouraged me to read through the Canadian Wheat Board Act again.

Comment

Lifer,

I believe it is our own responsibility to resolve the CWB problem... as only we will change it.

It is NOT Minister Ritz or PM Harper's responsibility to create the change.

Leadership comes with sacrifice. I see few willing to step out and find the solution that will stand the test of time... and really release grain growers from this statute that is being enforced in a manner that was has not respected the Common Law principals it was supposed to have been following.

Provincial recognition of these problems... and a provincial property rights charter would go a long distance in opening up the opportunity to better serve wheat and barley growers in AB and Sk.!

Comment

Yes Tom it is important for us as individuals to take responsibility for our own lives. I know I need to quit whining and make some more changes.

The Province doesn't speak straight either. I don't know what they really want.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...