• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Support Programs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Support Programs

Is Agristability working for anyone in the areas that were excessively wet this past year but had decent margins from previous years? Is the program going to deduct payments from Crop Insurance and the other Federal assistance from the Agristability payment? I realize these programs are way too slow in getting money out with the usual application timing but interim applications can be made, kind of like a cash advance.

I wouldnt wait at the post office for the cheque, by the time you get one if you qualify it will be a year later. Yes the other insurance income is taken into account or that would be double dipping. You could possibly get an interm payment and have to pay it back.

Comment

Breadwinner IMHO--I can't see how the guys in the super wet areas wouldn't qualify if their "Oh limp pick" margin is decent. If they don't after last years wreck the program isn't worth the paper it is written on. Making the interim application is a risk if the admin finds they overpaid the applicant, think of it as a interest free loan. It takes them a long time to process the apps so you can have the money for a while.

Comment

My margin is not sufficient to trigger a
        payment because of the conditions since
        2004 out here. My margin average is less
        than 40 bucks an acre. We have been wet
        more than just last year. Dipping into
        the RRSP's this year. A little self help
        for now.

I agree, that many who need it the most
        will suffer the most. Guys with decent
        margins will make a killing without
        actually needing money. It is a farm
        program though, what do we expect.

Comment

You also have to qualify for the interm payment to get one, if you got a crop ins payment and a wet acre payment it probably just pushed you into the wait till later catagory. By the time you get the final payment you will either have another crop in the bin or you will have gone belly up. That is not what I would call a good program.

Comment

Exactly!I have said before, that if crop
            insurance was actually relevant, I could
            be insured for a crop, not just too wet
            acres. In dryer years, the land produces
            in abundance. How would one set up a
            crop insurance though, that would apply
            in this type of situation? I'm not
            asking for 35 bushel per acre coverage
            on a no seed year, but I certainly need
            more than 75 bucks to keep things paid
            up. Half a crop coverage? What is the
            answer? I'm not sure what the answer is.
            Anybody?

Comment

FreeWheat

It is too bad the programs can't help you, it sickens me that you have to dipped into your savings for short term help. I agree that the programs are way to slow to react to the actual loss of income. We choose not to participate in "crap" insurance, I realize this isn't an option for everyone so don't take offense. I do choose to participate in AgriInvest and Agristability though, I can't leave my ass hanging out in the wind without some sort of protection (poor as it may be). As you mentioned before, with consecutive years of eroded margins you really can't benefit from the agristarve anyway!!

Comment

Hey Farmaholic, thanks for your kind
                words. I am not trying to get sympathy,
                etc.., but I get chagrined at this site
                sometimes. A lot of guys don't know how
                good/lucky they have been, I guess. I
                want some to have a reality check. If I
                am the pawn to show them they don't have
                real big problems, yet they complain, so
                be it. BUT I want a chance too. lol

Comment

FreeWheat: Hopefully for you, when weather gets back to normal(what ever that is), you will grow amazing crops that mine will pale in comparison to. Alot of years we hope to get a spring rain to get proper germination and like everyone else depend on timely rains throughout the growing season to get a half decent crop. Hang in there, your turn will come again, it's the law of averages.

Comment

I do not want great crops at someone elses
                    expense. We all deserve about 10 years in
                    a row of good crops/good prices, at maybe
                    China's expense.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...