• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 durum

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 durum

Does anyone have any 2009 durum left in their bins? We havent contracted any this year as the cwb has screwed up the durum marketing big time this year.

What are your plans if you are still sitting on a pile of this stuff? New crop PRO comes out late Feb so we are waiting till then to decide if it will have another birthday on the farm or not.

100 miles south its worth 10 bucks. Here its worth 6.42 on the latest PRO. Very frustrating!

Ours isn't contracted either. It's spent one birthday here, and will most likely spend another. If nothing else, it will slowly go through our grain burning stove.

If you do contract, make sure you get it graded beforehand. Case in point, I was hauling old crop #1 high protein durum for a farmer today. Well, it was a #1 last year, but now it has frost damage and severe sprouts from sitting in a bin for over a year to "downgrade" it to a #3. And it never was rained on or had frost damage in the field. Go figure...

Comment

To get an idea of how much more the durum market is out of the CWB just read between the lines of their $94/tonne buyout fee on contracted amounts. Thats a new record! It tells you right there what they think it is actually worth and gives a better number to budget for next crop year. Info is right on their site and changes daily.
      What a joke!!!

Comment

Ours had a birthday. So will the stuff in Bag for this year. But if its really wet in spring and we cant get going early. instead of 5 it will be two.

Comment

I haven't taken in samples from the bins but assume its still a 2. The bin temps are all ok so hopefully its keeping its quality.

This past years durum is pretty crappy so I doubt it will move up much in grade next yr.

I wonder how many tonnes are sitting uncontracted in farmers bins? Has anyone seen an estimate somewhere?

Comment

And there in lies the problem - no one knows the stocks of durum.

The cwb, nor statscan, nor the industry have a clue.

They will, when the price is right. And its not there yet.

Americans are able to get 10.00 plus right now and the cwb is paying 3.50 with an IOU until december 2011. Good deal? not likely.

Comment

Well........the price is right for some sales. Problem is we can't get it there.......

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...