• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is growing malt barley in 2011?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is growing malt barley in 2011?

I like growing malt but unless we see some better new crop bids I think malt acres will be down this year. So many guys had barley accepted in 2010 delevered , and had it regected latter on account of germ issues. Then forced to take a elevator price for feed barley far below other picked up bids.
    any one doing the oposite?

Just to add, what values is everyone hearing for new crop malt barley cash plus? Levels I am hearing range from $5.50 to $6.00/bu (at sure if included act of god).

Assumptions on malt/feed spread? For round numbers how does barley with a range of $6/bu as a malt barley lottern and $4/bu as feed compare to other cropping alternatives in budgets? $12/bu canola? $7/bu yellow peas? $6 to $8/bu CWRS?

Comment

Was there a new pro today?

Comment

There was a PRO. I forgot.

Wheat, Durum and Barley up in CWB January PRO
        Winnipeg -- The CWB today released its January 2011 Pool Return Outlook (PRO) for the 2010-11 crop year. Wheat values are up between $5 and $19 per tonne from last month's PRO, depending on class, grade and protein level. Durum is up between $3 and $17. Malting barley is up $2 per tonne, while Pool A feed barley is up $2 per tonne and Pool B feed barley is up $10 per tonne.

[URL="http://www.cwb.ca/dom/db/contracts/pool_return/pro.nsf/WebPRPub/2010_20110127.html?OpenDocument&CropYr=2010-11"]January PRO[/URL]

Comment

I see wheat is up nice on old pro, malt extremely dissappointing. Feed barley might surpass malt this year yet.

Comment

To bring back to barley, it got squat for an increase. 2010/11 has been priced out with existing business.

Comment

For what it is worth, EPO are very affordable these days. 100 % CWRS EPO - $10.05/tonne. 90 % - $1.15/tonne. 80 % - 15 cents/tonne.

[URL="http://www.cwb.ca/db/contracts/ppo/ppo_prices.nsf/epo/epo-wheat-2010-mhrs-20110127.html"]Jan 27 EPO CWRS[/URL]

Off barley topic but needs to be considered.

Comment

We grow a lot of malt in my area and some are wanting not to grow barley because of excessive moisture, barley did very poor in our area compared to other crops. I believe barley acreage will be way down in my area. Tempting to try some if board comes out with an attractive price and can find seed, that is another issue, no planting seed.

Comment

Your right Charlie, hard red can yield pretty good sorta puts malt on the sidelines right now.

Comment

If I can get a cash plus at 6 to 6.50 I'll seed 500
                    acres. If we keep going with no decent contacts
                    in east sask it will be SFA.
                    Oats is same the shitty fall price doesn't pick up it
                    will be zero also companies sit or get off the pot.

Comment

In reality everything is going to be profitable. As long as land lords don't want more, so far so good. Helps when a lot of land lords did not get paid last year.

Comment

Yes Lots of Horror stories coming out. Every thing from not seeding an acre taking the Prov money and then not giving the landlord any since it was a crop share. Dah.
                        Or paying $23 an acre to one and two miles down the road giving the guy $50.00 for poorer dirt. Do you think neighbors don't talk. Rookies
                        Oh well off topic. Yes looks like just about everything will make money, Just need to get it seeded. Right now probably 30 will be able to seed do to topography. The rest a snow ball in hell chance unless something changes soon. Creek running. Oh yea spring in dugout running Ice lifted two feed, Dog just about fell through on edge no ice 3 feet out just snow.

Comment

I HOPE EACH AND EVERY LANDLORD, SUES THE HECK OUT OF EACH & EVERY RENTER THAT HASN'T PAID. Don't ever let them set foot on your farm again. Don't listen to their promises, pie in the sky garbage. Don't look at their big equipment and think, that they are the best farmer on the planet. They are suckin you in ifn you do listen to their skatallijy!!!!

Comment

We will be growing some malt, this year as will other Comedian farmers, cause thats what we do, grow grain!!!

Comment

Growing some barley, but with the difficulty getting decent Metcalfe seed, I may have to grow a feed variety. I think that there will be good demand next year for malt, given that there was such a poor crop this year. I imagine that maltsters will be sweeping bin bottoms by the summer. Better stock up on beer now!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...