• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much are we worth?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much are we worth?

Charlie: Is there a way to find out the total value or
    economic contribution of the Western Canadian
    grains and oilseeds sector on a yearly basis? Gross
    productive and ancillary activity? Also, what is
    invested annually by producers to kickstart this
    outcome? My guess is that the numbers are mind
    boggling - something our urban citizens should
    hear and a message we should be pounding away
    at. It would dwarf the oil sands numbers in my
    mind, especially when you factor in that ours is an
    annually renewable resource!
    Rockpile

You would be shocked how tiny farmers are in the GDP. Someone dig this up for Canada and each province.

Comment

GDP- composition by sectors:
      Ag-2%
      Industry-28.4%
      Services-69.6%
      Guess what guys? We're not as important as you think we are!

Comment

Except that without us none of the rest is possible.

Comment

% of GDP is not that important - it's all about what
          creates inertial wealth, and it is definitely not the
          service or Government sector. Besides, what makes
          you think 2% is not significant, especially when that 2%
          is such a major contributor to trade balance? Get past
          this defeatist attitude already!

Comment

where is mining in this? I hear there is more tons on coal exported out of the west coast than grain. That is only coal.

Comment

Happy, its probably cheaper to import grain then to do all the ag subsidies. Again, we are not that important.

Comment

We are worth being slaves to the cwb and providing cheap food for the world.

Comment

Happy, I know that we want to be acknowleged for our contribution providing food to Canada and the world, but ultimately nobody (including poor starving countries) really gives a F#$k. Locally, think how much income tax comes from every employee working at a facility that touches our grain. Those people buy houses and pay property tax. Think of the corporate tax that the big companies pay. Think of all RR employees maintaining (literally pounding spikes and running million dollar machines that grade rail) think of the rail co and the corporate tax they pay. 2% is sensible to me. Nobody cares and thats that. Sad but true, the only thing that will change this regard for farming is (more?) mass famine, and I do not wish that on anyone. What is the population going to do, eat oil? No, they will export oil to get cash and buy lower cost foodstuffs, like Canadian beef, pork, CWB grains. Look at the success of Wal Mart, the cheaper the g****s (stuff) the sweeter the wine..(more stuff you can GET).

Comment

wd9,

Ag subsiddies???

Is that the government crop insurance that is about 20% premium/coverage ratio when most other insurance is 5-10%, that is insucfficient to start with an nearly impossible to get a full payout on.

Or is it the CWB that on any given year loses me $3/bu compared to my neighbors to the south.

Maybe it's the road tax discount/rebate on the farm fuel I burn in my tractor?

Or where you reffering to the income support programs like NISA, GRIP, CAIS that get a name change and formula rejigging every couple of years so that we need to pull the money pay tax on it(again) and then put it back into the new program.

No that can't be it, maybe it's the revenue cap on rail transportation for our system with zero competition.

Help me out on this wd9

Comment

Interesting point about the railways and the revenue cap. They are still guaranteed a profit to move grain and are paid before the grain is loaded into the farmers' railcars and hooked up to the only real service they provide - the locomotive. Remember the only railways left were built over 100 years ago and paid for by the people of canada. Sure they get upgraded, but its like the "self made farmer" that only paid the difference on daddy's equipment to farm.

I could only wish to guaranteeing myself a profit by buying a tractor.

Comment

ado, will getan updated Aggregate Measurement of Support (AMS). Just don't have time right now. Unless someone else has a recent one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...