• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Research Development and Breeding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research Development and Breeding

How are the above funded in Canada when it comes to cereal,canola lentils etc.

Here we pay .99% on all grain delivered and thats law, its taken out of payment regardless of who you sell to. This levy is for research by industry scinetist etc.

Another 21 cents per tonne for our farmer organization called Grains Council Australia who lobby to federal and state governments this voluntary but every one has it taken out.

Finally we have Plant Beeders Royalties which are between $1.50 and $3.30 per tonne this goes straight o breeders.Once a variety has been grown for usually 5 years the plant breeders right expire.

mallee, how is harvest going?
    yours and generally? ru underwater?

Comment

Mallee,

Canada is one of the few countries in the developed world that has not put UPOV 91 in place.

We agreed to do it... but have not had the political/self dicsipline in western Canada to return our seed variety owners royalties on grower planted 'bin run' seeds. About 75 percent of grain growers participate in this Sask/AB 'designated area' grain growers right.

www.2011mediocrity.com/

Western Farmers expect a free ride on seed... just like we expect our marketing agent to get premium value without providing premium service and quality.

We are getting exactly what we deserve.

Mediocrity.

Comment

Wheat is .30 cents tonne, Barley is .50 cents. Payment is off the final payment on all sales through the CWB. No checkoff on Feed or industrial sales. Producers can opt out before the crop year starts.

Oats are .50 cents/tonne. Canola $1.00/tonne. mandatory refundable.

Pulses are at 1%, mandatory non-refundable. Seen as the Cadillac of the Canadian system.

Canadian farmers are watching Aussies with jelousy. You are
        a)closer to port
        b) kicking the snot out of us on plant breeding
        c) have a climate that most of us travel thousands of miles to get to for two weeks in Feb.

Toms thoughts on UPOV are close enough that I wont have to type them again.

Comment

An update on the western Canadian
          levies, they vary by province.

Alberta is and Manitoba are $1/tonne
          sold, refundable. Saskatchewan is
          $0.75/tonne sold, refundable.

The pulse levy in Alberta is 1% of the
          value of sales and is refundable.

The Alberta Winter Wheat Producers
          Commission and the Alberta Barley
          Commission also collect a levy on the
          respective grain in Alberta and are also
          refundable. There are also forage seed
          commissions, vegetable and bee
          commissions in Alberta. Also beef, pork,
          lamb commission, all refundable in
          Alberta.

All of these organizations fund
          production related research, genetic
          development, market development and
          promotion, growers extension and
          government advocacy to some degree, each
          determined by the farmer elected Board
          of Directors. All have websites.

Ward Toma, P.Ag.
          General Manager
          Alberta Canola Producers

visit us online at canola.ab.ca or on
          your smartphone at m.canola.ab.ca

Comment

Sorry, I meant to start with "An update on
            the western Canadian canola
            levies, they vary by province."

Sorry

Ward

Comment

Your question malleefarmer but I thought I would include a link for GRDC to
              help western Canadian farmers understand your system.

Will note the difference is not so much the amount of money collected but
              rather the way your organizations have structured themselves to attract private
              sector funding for plant breeding on the one hand and a system where
              government/producer investment is handled such that there is a return on
              investment for both these groups and the retained earning used to fund more
              plant breeding activities.

[URL="http://www.grdc.com.au/"]GRDC[/URL]

<a href="http://www.csiro.au/resources/GrainPrebreeding.html">CSIRO</a>

Comment

I dont grow malt barley and more or much barley at all but Harrington barley used kill all the aussie varities it was the preffered varity in ther world it seems, i know thats a few years back. Our bredders got on there bikes and started to tackle the problem now we have i think at least6 malt varities

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...