• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB OUTPERFORMS WITH 8.50 FLEXPRO

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and where have you lived blackjack?

http:// cmte.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/committee/391/agri/evidence/ev2446409/agriev23-e.htm#Int-1726201

This is the evidence given from one House of Commons' Committee for Agriculture and Agrifood meeting

"Not one bushel of organic grain that I've sold since 1999 has actually been traded in Canada, except one sale of feed grain to a local organic chicken place near Winnipeg. So all my grain has been shipped to Europe, the United States, or Japan.

I buy back every bushel from the Canadian Wheat Board, and I'm here to talk about this ridiculous buy-back feature that organic farmers have to go through.

For example, I bought back 462 tonnes of feed wheat in February--around 15,000 bushels--to ship to a place in the United States. The contract I signed was for a buy-back of $6.92 a tonne. I don't get the final results until the end of the crop year, so I just got a bill in the mail the other day for $11,000. That is a little over three times what the initial contract said. I don't know anybody who can run a business if you don't have any control over the costs.

I just grew a malt variety for an organic maltster in Missouri under contract. It was accepted, and I'm ready to ship 50,000 bushels of malt barley to this organic maltster in Missouri. The trucks are hired, the contract's been signed, and the only thing left to do is buy back the malt barley from the Canadian Wheat Board.

I phoned down for a buy-back and I couldn't believe it. The buy-back on malt barley that day was $2.65 a bushel. That meant I would have had to stroke a cheque to the Canadian Wheat Board for in the neighbourhood of $140,000 if I had bought back my malt barley that day. ....

What disgusts me so much is that they couldn't even buy the grain if I offered it to them. I can't take it near any of their facilities or it would be contaminated. Organic grain has to be shipped in a certified vessel. So even if I offered them the grain they couldn't buy it, at least in the experiences I've had with them.....

They have nothing to do with selling my grain. They have nothing to do with transporting my grain. They didn't find the buyer. I have all the expenses of growing it, yet I have to turn over a dollar a bushel to them just for the privilege of their buying my grain and then selling it back to me...."

Grow up, and understand the financial consequences from a government scheme, that impacts your neighbors. Pars

Comment

"By forefathers died and gave their lives to protect these privileges."
      TOM4BILL36 - They also set up the CWB as their grain marketing organisation of choice.

"When grain prices are low... forage prices follow. You folks pay less for feed and Canola."
      But I thought canola was your prize example of a free market product that always traded at a high price because it was free of the CWB? You need to try and keep your stories straight.

Comment

Grassfarmer,

I DO keep my stories EXACTLY straight... the basis in particular on Canola is affected by the CWB.

Read John DePapes' articles.

I have to admit the fervour in which you use to defend CWB confiscation of my families grains... CERTAINLY PROVES MY POINTS IN TeCHNICOLOUR!!!

Go ahead; denigrate the sacrifice and blood shed by my kin made for your freedom... The CWB got its monopoly to take our grain in the Second world war... and then in 1947 extended it for 5 years to subsidise EU food: in case you forgot. bless you anyway Grassfarmer.

Comment

Blackjack:

"As time went on the livestock that was raised was sold at a loss.Why was that Tom?"

Too much plentyful feed bought at a cheap price... overbuilds the livestock industry.

Remember the Crow that paid livestock growers to buy our grain at cheap prices??? Why do you think that was done?

Comment

Pars.Most of us did grow up that are still primary producers.The direction of specialized farming from government policies determined where we went with our operations.As well as you did with yours.I do not remember that there was a gun held to our head to what farm management we decided on.By the way I grow cereals and canola and have not had a permit book for over 25 years.So if you can get rid of the board more power to ya.

Tom. If small livestock producers were making a such living off your back why are they gone and your still around ?

Comment

TOM4BILL36, I wasn't denigrating the sacrifice and blood shed of your kin - you do that yourself working with your pal Morton to remove everybodies rights (BILL 36)
              Now the livestock farmer is the cause of your troubles - buying your grains too cheap, apparently so cheap it caused the numbers to be overbuilt and the system collapsed. Not quite sure how that happened given how you claim the grain price you receive has always got lower and lower.
              Oh, and the CROW rate was a subsidy paid to livestock producers to buy your grain at a low price? Really?? everyone else on the planet thought it was a subsidised grain haulage rate to coastal ports.
              Always looking to blame someone - remember when you point fingers how many are pointing back at you. Face it TOM the future of the farmer directed CWB is in the hands of the prairie farmers it serves. You just need to convince the majority of producers that change would be in their best interests - thus far you have failed and when I see the logic you use it doesn't surprise me. Good luck with your efforts, I'm off to try and undo some of the harm done under Bill 36 - a far more important fight.

Comment

Grassfarmer...

How SHORT your memory is.

In the 1980's the Crow benefit was calculated at being worth over 5B$ then.

Goodale paid out something less than $1.5B in 1996 after many years of counter payments by Alberta to livestock producers to counteract the crow...

In the 1980's the CWB 'single desk' monopoly had no legal need for enforcement because of the CROW... the CWB had a huge leg up on other international exporters IF the grain happened to get delivered on time to the customer.

The very fact you so passionately support the CWB proves our case against the CWB distortions... without question.

Otherwise GRassfarmer... you simply would make NO difference to you WHO our family and community sold their grain to!!!.

Comment

Ironic how Grassfarmer whines about the confiscation of land but supports the consfication of grains

Comment

Its cognitive disconnect highwayman.  
                    There was never a plebiscite on the CWB other
                    than an elected government forcing it on the
                    western wheat grower. 

Just like there was never a plebiscite on the Bill
                    36 other than an elected government forcing it
                    on the Alberta land owner.

Neither is right.  Both are wrong and for the same
                    reasons.

Comment

Farmranger,

It is even more ironic that Minister Ted Morton... the Champion of property rights before running for Alberta Politics... put this legislation in place.

Ironic... Iconic... now Moronic.

Comment

Certainly makes a person want to puke!!!

Comment

Cropduster,

Memories of Ritter/Flaman and the CWB..Power and politics corrupt more than just CWB Directors!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...