• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

protein testers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein testers

SWIFT CURRENT, Sask.-"Many farmer have heard
    reports from neighbors that protein tests on the
    same sample of wheat can vary widely from elevator
    to elevator-up to 3% in some accounts. On a single
    1500 bushel semi-load, an error of this magnitude
    could cost a farmer over $1200," said NFU
    Saskatchewan Coordinator Stewart Wells.
    "I think that farmers will be shocked to learn that
    there is no official program to test the accuracy of
    protein testers. As a result, farmers may be losing
    millions. The NFU is calling for regular inspection of
    all grain company protein testers beginning
    immediately," said Wells. He continued: "These
    checks should be conducted by Canadian Grain
    Commission (CGC) inspectors, the results should be
    made public, and the Commission should shut the
    elevator's doors until its protein tester is accurate."

If just one-tenth of protein testers consistently
    under-stated protein by just one-half of one
    percent, the cost to western farmers could be over
    $10 million annually.

The NFU submitted a brief today to Minister of
    Agriculture Vanclief on the CGC and its Program
    and Governance changes. In that brief the NFU
    warned that the CGC was failing to protect the
    interests of farmers in the grain handling system. In
    addition to failing to monitor protein testers, the
    CGC is not checking elevator scales (this duty has
    been assigned to measurement Canada but as a
    result of cuts, many scales have not been checked
    since 1995). "If CGC management had been
    regulating the grain industry in the interests of
    farmers, they should already be doing the spot
    checks of protein testers and checking the accuracy
    of scales," said Wells. The NFU brief conveyed
    farmers' support for a strong and vigilant CGC and
    urged the Minister to ensure that the CGC was
    actively fulfilling its mandate.

Until the CGC can begin checking protein testers,
    the NFU suggests that farmers take the following
    steps:

Take a sample from one of your bins, and pay the
    CGC to do a protein test.
    Take this same sample to the elevator every time
    you deliver a load, and use your sample to
    "calibrate" the elevator tester.

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/research-
    recherche/williams/ptm-mdtp/ptm-mdtp-eng.pdf

Comment

I don't think the CGC will get involved. There are two settings in protein testers. One for the elevator and One for when the CGC is on site. They have knowen this for ever and have done nothing about it.
      Remember the CGC is "in the interest of producers " but the grain companies are thier direct clients.

You are right about doing your own checking of the protein you get. Also besure you read the results on the machine yourself and make sure that it is set on the commodity you are checking. Not saying anyone purposely reads wrong, but mistakes do happen and that mistake will generally cost you. However I have seen readings up to 1.5% lower than actually is being reported.

If you are getting different readings at different elevators it isn't the sample that is changing. There is a 0.2% error built into reinspections.

Mistakes and errors happen and the CGC isn't on site at delivery to protect us, we must do that ourselves.

If you have your own protein machine make sure you use only CGC check samples to calibraite it.

Comment

Just another example of how little Stewart Wells did for the farm community.

Comment

So your saying managers actually change settings
          between Grain Commission Inspections..thats what
          your saying!!!!!This on top of the fact there is a .25%
          diff.in US/CAN testers!!!Farmers whine about CWB till
          blue in the face but let this stuff go!! What about
          taking 2% shrink on 15% moisture grain or 1.2 %
          shrink on 14.5 moisture built right into computer
          programs.Has to be CWBs fault!!

Comment

Well timm, to an extent you are right. The cwb sells our grain for us because we are to stupid to do it ourselves, and since they are suppose to be looking out for our interests, why doesn't the cwb tell us when protein is being stolen from us?

Its because the cwb gains by having a system like we do. The customers buying our grain gain, just look at weber link to the CGC and proteins.

The cwb gives away protein and they more than likely share the split with the grain elevators. Because, as one director once told me, the cwb can't exist without the grain companies. So there has to be some payola in the scheme.

Comment

So Stewie is worried about $10 million. He should be a little more worried about the $300 million that we are loosing through the CWB vs the open market just across the border.(25 million tonnes x 13.22/ton minimum) Or even better, the $79 million the board eats up in marketing. They probably blew $10 million on advertising and parties.

And why is the exact protein so important? Most farmers I know get a package deal, and it is typically higher than the average of their samples.

Comment

No, What I am saying is that there is two settings in the protein machines. One is calibrated to check samples sent out by the respective head office of the grain company. The other is only for CGC use, calibrated and checked by the CGC staff when they are on site for shipping. The elevator settings may change from time to time by each company. The CGC settings will be regulated by CGC head office and be consistant at all elevators regardless of company.

I don't believe that package deals are always in the interest of all producers. Although we may periodacaly get better deals, over all grain companies can not give everyone better grades, dockage and protien or they will be short on shipments when the CGC puts final grades etc. on shipments.

All I'm saying is if you are getting a deal on your grade make sure you watch your dockage and protein. Vise/versa.

Grain companies are very competative but in the end must make a profit. They are very good at what they do.

The biggest thing is 'Mistakes' happen especially in a busy place of buisness and we must monitor our own best interests. Would you cash your pay check without watching the teller count the cash? And know what they are counting.

Comment

The first thing stewie should have asked for is that the protein testersbe placed at the front counter instead of tucked in the corner behind the employees only counter.

I have no problem walking back to see what mine tested but it does piss me off when they probe your load and you don't get in the elevator for 15 minutes.

Comment

When you are at the elevator get your test then tell
                    them to retest it from the export tester they use to fill
                    cars.

I claim no responsibility in the blood bath tomorrow.

Comment

Whoops,already been talked about,sorry.

Comment

A grain company, taking advantage of Comedian farmers. Wow, now I've heard everything. All along I thought these guys/gals were our friends, cause after all they need us, to stay in business. Cheating on a protein test. What next moisture, weight, use of fine print, apparent mix up grading samples, lost samples, don't care cause the holidays are just around the corner. These are all HTP screw jobs. Butt thats the grain business, love it or leave it, thats how its done. Yes the government allow the system to operate, cause they don't care either, after all most Comedian farms are just a pain in the !!!s anyway.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...