• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

falling numbers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

falling numbers

Where can I send a sample of HRS wheat to get a falling numbers test done? Have some HRS that I am told is feed but it weights 60 lbs?bu and protein is 11.9%.

I've taken rye samples to my local Viterra for
    falling numbers and they send it away
    somewhere. Don't know where, but you could try
    them.

Comment

Don't have one of them very near here. Think I will try the CGC or SGS.

Comment

SGS will do it.

Few are interested unless protein is over 12.5 for milling.

Comment

Tom4, nice derail. In Canada, protein content is a very good indicator. SO IS FALLING NUMBER. Sunwest Labs in Saskatoon will do falling number. I think the CGC will do the same test. Give a uniform bin sample to both labs. I am sure you filled your pail/bin at harvest. This is very helpful to send away uniform bin samples. Nice thing about paying to have independant lab tests, is that you know you have to parameters to use for selling your grain. The alternative is not to take a falling number, dont call anyone, and deliver to the local elevator. then you can drink coffee/beer and talk about how the big bad grain company screwed you over on protein. Personal lab results are just one more piece of investment to get better prices. The big, bad, grain compant may find your grain...or you as a producer more appealing if you can provide some accurate lab work on your inventory.....Im just saying..!

Comment

hobbyfmr,

Nice 'derail'?

Excuse me for pointing out a normal milling need... 12.5px or better for gluten strength needed for flour milling.

US and Canadian mills normally need this milling minimum.

A good way to get a falling number is to get a sample to an elevator in Montana... they will tell you what it is for no cost; but they will check the px at the elevator. If it is low... often they will say they are not interested. Falling number over 300 and good px, over 12.5, bring a premium. Make sure samples are representitive.

The CWB feed 200 percent EPO is good value but many of these contracts on the delivery side also state 12.3px for feed delivery on GDC Board Feed Contracts.

Comment

Tom4, On my first read of your post, when you said Few are interested unless protein is over 12.5 for milling, it sounded discouraging. Now, I see you were trying to offer insight. I get defensive because in the past, the grain buyers worked at making the farmers grain undesireable to them. Usually, it was the protein card and the farmer was out of spec by.3% or something like that. Thats why I called it a derail. The buyers would knock me off the track. Without independant protein tests and falling numbers a farmer is selling blind, exactly what buyers want.

Comment

hobbyfrmr,

In working with Columbia Grain we have found reliable and honest grades. They reconciled with the State agency in Billings for protein. Treated us very fairly.

Millers in Alberta have their own labs and usually only accept loads after they themselves test (falling number moisture and px) composite samples from the wheat grower.

Comment

You can get good insight to falling numbers here for the grain that is exported.

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/wheat-ble/export-exportation/2009/cwrs/qecwrs09t03-qecwrs09t03-eng.htm

Hit the previous page and next page ...

Look at what the vessels called for and see what was shipped against it - should generate lots of questions for the group that controls the CWB.

Whose money are they giving away?

I can only imagine what would happen in a private company at port or in the country if someonme was giving away protein?

Comment

Those are pretty high falling numbers Mr. Weber.

And the protein scales are rather high.

No audit. Where is our money for 15 percent protein?

It seems something has gone terribly wrong?

Or am I talking eskimo and missing something in the translation?

Very insightful Mr./Sir Weber!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...