• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Grains

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Grains

With the increasing number of excuses graders are coming up with to downgrade grain that we know full well is getting milled or malted I think it's time that we come up with something to reduce this. I'm thinking a dye that we put on the grain at the farm. If CFIA inspectors find the dyed grain in the mills or maltsers they get dinged big time. Any thoughts?

Brilliant!

It would be like the cops when the thieves/kidnappers demand money and the mark the money.

If the dyes show up at a millers, they can pay the cost of cleanup because they have saved enough money by buying milling wheat at feed wheat prices to do so.

Same with maltsters and barley.

Pretty good suggestion.

It makes you think of ideas for tracing the grain. Different combinations of colors to identify where it came from and then what it was sold for. For example you sell feed wheat marked with two colors. Shows up at a mill. I can accept responsiblity for the die in the feed wheat but WHO accepts responsibilty for it showing up at a mill? ANd what was it sold for. If my grain ticket shows feed wheat, I would be off the hook.

Of course, for parsley's sake , it would be organic, biodegradable, cow friendly die.

Comment

You guys are backwards.

If the falling number is of milling quality... it is milling not feed.

Extract the value... don't detract and devalue the produce.

It is just like the Ausies create all sorts of new grades to deal with their bad weather...

WHILE Canada downgrades the whole crop and will not allow it to enter a millers facility. Both the CGC and CWB are to blame.

Comment

I heard that, bucket. I owe you a Wolfgang brew for that one. LOL Wouldn't a gm sterility-dye better lower the world's population? Rather like a 'morning-after' pill with an extended shelf life. LOL Pars

Comment

Just some humour, meant no offense and it sounds like none taken. Cheers.

Comment

Tom, that's different issue all together. What I want is to make sure that the only processing that happens to grain I am paid feed values for is done by something that will end up on a plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Comment

dont know what ctitical level is for falling numbers over there in regards to milling wheat but is 300 here presuming were all on the same system.

And a flour miller was on farmers hour the other day suggesting if a stack of wheat had 10% poor wheat in it and 90% millable to get it up to specs actually another 14% of good wheat has to be added to it to get it up to specs not just another 10% so he said belding is really out of the equation.

Comment

They don't check falling numbers in Canada, at least not for farm sales. You are right blending protein and falling numbers doesn't work, neither does protein and moisture for malt. But this "bran frost" b.s. on 63lbs wheat, ergot, midge damage.... is crap at the end of the day it's either dockage and/or cleaned out in the milling process or doesn't matter.

Two things need to happen; 1) Quantitative grading standards 2) deteruant from reselling product at a higher grade than it was purchased.

My suggestion is to address the second issue.

Comment

"cow friendly die"

You will need a bucket to hold her milk, but only if you don't kill off one of her sacred cows!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...