• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malt Barley?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and Burbert was only not 100 percent wrong out of luck not out of knowledge.

Comment

Its amazing what google can give you.

Here is a site to clarify mcfarms comment. Germany has something called the "Beer Purity Law". Sounds as if Parsley is doing on the ground research into this topic.

[URL="http://germanbeerinstitute.com/beginners.html"]bottom[/URL]

Comment

Actually Burbert is right on wit this one. You's guys are out to lunch. Only the best of the best, and you actually believe that line of crap. When there is no best to be had, the rest is BEST. Ever hear that before, somewhere????? Heck they make beer outta sour cow milk in some countries. Comedian beer, often tastes like its made from the same source, if you don't believe, go to some of the micros and by some of their SPECIAL, brands, most taste like something from outer space, bilge water at best, priss at worst. And to think they get a premium price fer the crap. How desperate we Comedians have become!!!!!!!

Comment

Why, charliep, German beer renders the fair gender helpless! But I'll do more research. LOL Pars

Comment

my merchant said to me this harvest;
            "dry your feed barley carefully, we will malt it"
            i nearly fell of my perch.
            this was the same guy who wouldnt give me a malt contract in spring, hence i grew feed.

Comment

Thanks Charlie for asking these questions and making the points....

My takeaway for this discussion is the barley market is a confused mess with questionable price discover.

Any predictions on 2011 barley acres, up or down? I bet down.

Comment

Alberta is close to maximum acres on canola although more canola
                wheat canola wheat etc. Suspect peas will be the loser. Barley will
                depend on weather next spring and prices over the next 6 months.

The curious part of the world from a seeding intentions will be
                Saskatchewan and unseeded acres in the east. I am going to assume
                mother nature cooperates somewhat (could be proven wrong this
                spring). Even if the spring is difficult, I will bet canola is the crop
                that gets prioritized and seeded early as conditions will allow. It
                pays the bills.

You can argue my back of envelope math but a 40 bushel/acre
                canola crop and $11/bu means a gross of $440/acre. You adjust
                cost/acre differences but I would suggest you need $7/bu for malt
                barley to be competitive. You have to factor in the probability of a 1
                Canada canola versus having the barley selected. You can them the
                price and delivery risk management side. Which crop has better fit
                with managing profit and cash flow?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...