• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Issues

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Issues

Austrlian harvest is still a nightmare.
    But on positive side up to 20 new segregations for wheat,barley canola lentils and beans have opened.
    Would suggest 8 to 10 of them for wheat and barley and another round of different pools opened by different comapnies to accomodate these changes.

Most thought the big bad traders would be unsrupulous and taking growers to the cleaners, seems its not the case.

The price setters most days have been cargills and ldreyfus and awb

A long held beleif is that there would be helter skleter when the first bad harvest comes along under full deregulation. "Single desk offers a buyer of last resort and will take all grain, under deregualtion there is no such guarantee" well that turned out to be crock load of shit. Even the most adament single desk suppoters are saying "wow" weve never had so many choices for offgrade grain.It used to all get lumped into lowest grade parcel, now buyer have varying degrees of poor quality trying to get the most possible for the off grades rather than a "poor average" and monopoly marketers off loading it for whatever they could get in a fire sale.

Alas for some growers there grain is so poor it meets no recieval standards.

Myself still huge yeilds 60 bushels of wheat but feed 1 wheat 70% gp1 wheat 30% but have come close to going up a grade only missing by a little have to get below 5% shot grain and ive had plenty at 5 just have to jag a few loads under it and its worth a extra $120 per tonne to me.

Saw the pictures man you guys are like us. Just no snow to worry about. Good to here that the big bad grain companys need grain to work and will work with farmers. Hm we just keep shooting myths down every day. Oh the Video on CWB hit almost 37000 hits. Not bad not bad at all. Have a great dry day.

Comment

mallee farmer, is the mould the problem? or sprouting?
      i have cut plenty of wheat at 30% and dried itbefore it sprouts

Comment

sprouting
        we had a 1 inch rainfall event but a very good windy drying day the next so much so we harvested 24 hours after the rain then 2 days later we had another 2 inch event. Started harvesting 5 days after after and it was sprouted. Think its the heat here combined with humidity that causes it.

In NSW were crops are under water its mould and sprouting.

Weve had unseasonal rain since mid novemeber.

Comment

Even I have to admit privately i thought this messy harvest might test deregualtion system and we as growers will get taken to the cleaners, but it seems almost ther reverse.

Feed wheat yesterday for instance there were from my count 23 buyers operating with cash and about 9 different pool operators with 18 different pool options for feed wheat.

Cash prices ranged from $130 per tonne to $205 port basis.

Die hard pool participants never had so many pool choices, so they have there cake and can eat it too.

Sure ole burbert will have something to say lol but hes on my ignore list but other cwb supporters i read all there posts on here and listen to there point of view.

Comment

i have found you need to cut straight after rain, wet or not before it sprouts. and buy a big dryer.

Comment

Interesting, we have been told over and over by the CWB supporters that the big bad multi nationals would take advantage of the poor little farmers once the monopoly is gone. I'm sure now the argument will be that this will not be the same in western Canada. We are different here. Eastern Canada does need a monopoly because they are a smaller supplier, grow different wheat, blah, blah, blah.

Now Aust. must be the same as eastern Canada and the multi nationals will only take advantage of western Canadian farmers. Yeah, that must be it.

Comment

mallee You are on my ignore list, causa the fact that you are in Oz, and now have Viterra to deal with. You's will soon learn somethin about the multis, cause they are a totally Comedian operation and their performance will show it.

Comment

Hey burbert, why couldn't mallee try the other companies if he doesn't like viterra. If viterra is doing a shitty job, it won't take too long before they either A)change the ways they do things or B) be out of business in Australia.

If I don't like the deal at Viterra in Canada for off board crops, I don't continue to take their shit, I go somewhere else.

Comment

to cwb supporters and detractors i honestly thought this year the whole thing may come unstuck it hasnt yet.
                    We have such huge price swings futures down on cbot but prices up here other days opposite cbot up but prices down, some days the market has no rhyme or reason.Funny though probably canada and aust are fighting to sell off grade wheat into exact same markets.
                    Apparently awb are accumulating alot of feed wheat in there pools so it could be freight differences only if we are competing with cwb.

Comment

Here is global warming in action http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp7.html

Comment

malleefarmer
                        Was up in your area last week. Hope the weather
                        improves. you guys need a break. For the most part
                        we thought the crops looked good bar the lodging
                        and the mud. Do recognize the sprouting risk. First
                        time we saw grasshoppers and mosquitos feeding at
                        the same time.

Comment

Hey buckie, thanks fer the insighful advice! Go to another company, ifn you don't like Viterra. Yup thats really, innovative thinkin. Let's see, in reality theys all the same, useless. Comedian farmers love living in a world of shit though. Cargi screws you on the weight. Westcook to airignorant fer us. Westmeeemee, won't talk ta ya. Pioneering has sooooooo many trucks lined up, yer trucker wants ta charge wait in line time to ya. Guess we'll haveta puter through the cows, agin this year. Yup thats the only way to make some real coin. In the end you'll get all the fert ya need fer next season toooooooooo! Lotttsa options out there. Actually way to many fer us Comedians ta deal wit......

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...