• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bias? What Bias?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias? What Bias?

From the seducer...

<b>Single desk supporters push cause on web</b>

By ADRIAN EWINS, Saskatoon Newsroom
    November 18, 2010

Supporters of the Canadian Wheat Board’s sales monopoly have launched a website urging farmers to vote for single desk candidates in the CWB director elections.

The site is sponsored by the CWB Alliance, which describes itself as a group of non-partisan farmers who understand the value of the wheat board to western Canadian agriculture and rural communities.

Alliance chair Bill Gehl, a grain farmer from the Regina area, said the group is endorsing candidates who support what he calls the three pillars of the CWB: single desk selling, price pooling and government financial guarantees.

“We believe this new website ( www.cwbafacts.ca) will be a useful source of factual information for those interested in grain marketing issues.”

He said single desk supporters and candidates are happy to talk about their views on the subject, but their counterparts who oppose the single desk system don’t seem to want to talk about that publicly.

Terms that have been used in the past to describe an open market, such as marketing choice, voluntary CWB or marketing freedom, have been missing from the public debate.

Instead, they say the CWB needs to be more flexible, more accountable and more in touch with farmers’ business needs.

“I think that (open market) option has fallen from grace,” said Gehl.

He said he believes the open market candidates are reluctant to make their views public.

“If you don’t believe in the single desk and in price pooling, why don’t you just stand up and say so?” he said. “Are you trying to fool the electorate into voting for you? Actions speak louder than words.”

The Alliance is urging farmers to look carefully at all the candidates’ policy positions and vote accordingly.

Meanwhile, farmers who didn’t receive a ballot in the initial mail-out in late October have until 5 p.m. Nov. 19 to submit an application to vote to the election co-ordinator, Meyers Norris Penny, by mailing to 2500-201 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Man., R3B 3K6 or faxing to 204-783-8329.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they balance the piece by also talking about John De Papes CWB monitor? Nope.

Do they do any basic fact checking to see if the Wheat Board Alliance is being accurate? Nope.

Do they ask the other candidates that are being smeared by Bill Gehl to respond to his accusations? Nope.

Do you think they are going to run a full piece from strictly the other sides perspective? Don't hold your breath.

The piece is not neutral, it is not balanced, and it is not good journalism. It is an advertisement for single desk candidates masquerading as news. They didn't even have the decency to put it on the opinion page.

This kind of shoddy biased reporting is why I don't subscribe to this particular paper and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Comment

What is fascinating to me is how it's no longer about getting good information out to farmers. Perhaps it never was.

The Alliance is all about using fear tactics to keep the status quo. "What if we lose the CWB? What if we lose the single desk?

There is absolutely no discussion about that needs to be done right now.

They are like the "what if" candidates - will they ever see that this election is not about the single desk? Most farmers don't care one way or the other about the single desk. They just want to make a living by farming. If the CWB works, that's fine. If not, then change it or get rid of it.

And I'm thinking most farmers see that change is needed.

Too bad the Alliance doesn't get that. It's even worse that the media doesn't see it.

Comment

WP is not objective and makes no pretense of being so. There otta be a law...HT

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...