• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is A One Earth Mine Next?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is A One Earth Mine Next?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Sask First Nations Potash Corp/3739130/story.html

Good article parsley. This begs the question...Why did the Potash Corporation get privatized to start with? Didn't the Saskatchewan Gov't OWN it as a Crown Corporation at one time? Who was the genius that sold it?

Comment

I just read up on the events leading up to the privatization. So the Conservative Gov't of Sask. sold the Crown owned corporation. Figures...they left a very poor record behind when they bit the dust. Wasn't there a bit of corruption and some illegal government member dealings involved?

Comment

The Conservatives did indeed privatize.

And some of the them, including Conservative Senator Eric Bernston did indeed get kicked out of the senate, as well as some Saskatchewan MLA's accused for fraud.

I'll make futher comments, but first, Delicious Shower is calling my name. Pars

Comment

Maybe this is why cotton talked about sprott for his tfsa.

Comment

The ramifications of the bhp thing won't be played out over night, the conservatives privitized it, now considering world demand what if the province recieved more than just the royalties but the profits as well, and that should only rise with time. And yes I am sure the next post will say a governmnet run outfit never would make a profit well depends on the way it was run.

But politically the feds are backtracking on not killing the deal what will that do to the conservative seats in sk if they do not?

As more is talked about this deal the reality that Wall is saying gee don't trust big business, well aren't you the ones that brought this situation in the first place? Isn't that a support of what the ndp were saying years ago? Not saying I agree or disagree but how this plays out is what is important.

Will pcs flop if left alone, alot of people were complaining about the management prior to this, so if they flop will people say gee we should have taken the deal.

Comment

http://sprottresource.com/investments-overview.aspx

Click on stonegate agricom

Comment

Pars didn't I say in Spring the reserves are looking at something a little more than what most are thinking. Now with their partner who really doesn't want to farm they could raise substantial money.
                Hm only time will tell.

Comment

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/why-harper-will-deny-the-potash-takeover-bid/article1776918/

Comment

Wilagro you've been on this site long enough to know that if the people owned the potash and got all the profits thats called Communism which is bad-
                    but if a foreign company controls the potash and gives us a pittance ($30 per ton out of over 400)
                    thats called capitalism-which is good.

So Wait a Minute most of Us on this site OWN our land and get All the profits does this make us Commies lol lol lol

Comment

wil and mus, I have an interesting question for a a pair of breathing hard sociaists who seem to be getting nowhere, :>))

Potash shares are owned by a lot of capitaist folks. They bought and paid for them. You own your farms.

To sell my farm to a reserve means it will most likely not come on the market again. You won't be able to buy it, will you.

Aboriginals do not have individual property rights. To sell Potash company shares to aboriginals also means they will remain in the reserve system, does it not? They will not come on the market again.

If Potash is sold to China, China does not have property rights, so ownership will remain state ownership.

For a capitalist country, which Canada is, to sell the Potash company to a communist country, which China is, probably means the average Joe in Canada will never ever have access to Potash company again.

State owners tend to swallow. How much reserve land did you see listed in the WP last week? Will your children have an opportunity to buy?

So capitalist sellers continually selling to communist buyers will eventually have nothing to sell. Correct?

Should Capitalists avoid selling to non-capitalists?

Everybody jump in to this one. It really is an important down the road farmland question. Pars

Comment

Good question. I think in the long term all non capitalist entities are doomed so those assets will once again come available, look at farmland in Russia.

Also note the huge farms that existed when the west was just opening up. They were great on paper but did not work because of lack of risk management (no crop rotation or crop insurance). Again they were broken up and sold to the common man.

Worry not all great things come to an end.

Comment

Good points bgmb, that rings true today as well - cer-can is not realy a rotaion agronomically but most very large guys are stuck with that due to time management, at least around here anyway. What you said is happening today with land going back to the "moderate" size farm. Everything goes in cycles or history repeats itself - always.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that if the potash industry is dominated by those Aussie interests, you the dumb farmer will be paying plenty for your fertilizer...that is the way monopoly control works.

I've seen it in the food industry time and time again and it is still going on. If the Canadian government lets this bid go through look out for fertilizer prices to rise to an unprecedented level. Western support for the Conservatives should drop proportionately.

Comment

that's the way a controlled monoply is "suposed" to work one could say.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...