• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax

Hearing rumors and seeing it on my farm,flax yields
    are poor.

The only field I had went about 16 bushels per acre. Just too many spots in the field where there was very little too no flax. The only bit of good news is we had no trouble combining and choping this crop.

Comment

The lesson still hasn't been learned about the difference between "Triffid-free" and "tested negative for Triffid trait at at certain small level"
      It must make Sask Ag feel good to talk about Triffid free in their newsletter sent last week; because at the present there certainly isn't any way to know if any flax is Triffid free or not. Its with us for eternity (at some level).

Comment

flax is running 25-35 here. Quite a few acres of it around. However it looks like a 2 at best and probably a 3 is more realistic

Comment

JD,what is the down grading facture that it is going a 2 or 3. Flax can have up to 12% frost and still grade a 1.

Comment

some that i saw looked mor like 20-30% frost damage.

Comment

Looks like Triffid is a non-issue. The trade; the industry and the Triffid creators decided what their solution was; and farmers are stuck with their decisions.
              Given the usual extra work and problems associated with flax growing; combined with relatively low yields; poor samples and now marketing hassels and liabiliity; I expect that an increasing numbers of farmers will shy away from this crop.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...