• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good read about "DEMAND"

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good read about "DEMAND"

http://www.agrimoney.com/news/inexorable-rise-in-demand-stoking-grain-rally--2287.html

Good article. Would help me answer the why am I doing this question in the days of challenges ahead.

will put in the hot link for blackberry types.

[URL="http://www.agrimoney.com/news/inexorable-rise-in-demand-stoking-grain-rally--2287.html"]Rising Demand[/URL]

Comment

thanks for the link. There's no question this is a good news article for grain farmers. But more importantly, is it accurate? I'd like some opinions on if we're in for a good stretch of years. If anything, it might make some of the frustrations easier from this crazy harvest...

Comment

Not sure how to answer your question. A look at some longer term trends in consumption will
        highlight the growth in some crops and markets- soybeans/China and corn/US ethanol.

So the world has been able to respond to the increases in consumption by increasing production. Will
        this carry onto into the longer term (3 years plus)? Climate change? Inputs? Energy costs?

Perhaps I look at from a agriculture perspective of managing expectations and ensuring farmers put
        realistic prices in long term projections for decisions like borrowing money to buy land.

Is $10/bu canola sustainable? Maybe not but I suspect the new trading range is $8 to $10/bu. $6
        wheat? Trading range $5 to $6/bu? Barley $3.50 ish/bu or longer term closer to $3/bu.

It will be a winter project (not for the middle of harvest) but Meyers Norris Penny did an interesting
        cost of production survey of farmers comparing the upper profit ones to the average and below ones.
        A good read.

[URL="http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/econ13232"]COP Study[/URL]

Comment

Wow, that's a let down. Last time I checked, beef was food. Anyone put any thought into teaching young farmers about growing safe, nutrient dense beef? THere's someone there to teach them how to follow vacc. protocols, how to fatten them in a feedlot, how to sell to the packer to keep the floor busy, how to keep ABP happy, and of course, someone to show them how to overfeed bulls and flood the market, while averaging $4000 per bull.

But who's going to teach them about the effects of confinement feeding on E.Coli H0157 levels in the rumen, how feeding on grass can eliminate that, how only grazing lush pastures will ensure healthy levels of CLA, or proper ratios of Omega 3-6 fatty acids, or even something as basic as taking a Brix reading of pastures to ensure the forage is nutrient dense? Let alone take a soil sample to ensure we're starting from scratch with a chance of producing healthy beef.

This A-Team sounds like it was hand picked by INDUSTRY. Oh, wait, they even called it industry-specific didn't they? Ooops, disregard my rant because apparently anyone who doesn't produce commodity beef is irrelevant, as are their opinions.

Comment

Don't feel alone. The less conventional
            we get (older fashioned?) the more
            profitable we have become and the less
            comfortable with "industry".
            And on the bright side, now you know at
            least one other person with a Brix meter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...