• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ouch... this would hurt...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch... this would hurt...

"OMAHA (DTN) -- Rains of 11-plus inches pounded south-central Minnesota's rich farming areas Wednesday and Thursday, flooding out roadways, closing schools and causing extensive harvest delays. It also raises the prospect that some flooded-out acreage will have to be abandoned.

Rains measuring ten or more inches closed dozens of roads in south-central Minnesota Thursday. (photo courtesy Sam Ziegler) National Weather Service rainfall estimates indicated from four to six inches rainfall across almost the entire breadth of south-central Minnesota Thursday morning. However, actual amounts were even higher. Unofficial rainfall tallies include: 11.3 inches near Lewisville (about halfway between Worthington and Mankato) and more than ten inches in southern Blue Earth, Watonwan, northern Martin, and Faribault counties.

Five-plus inches of rain at the University of Minnesota research and outreach center at Waseca have pushed that location's September rainfall to 10.5 inches -- the highest ever for September in the 96-year history of the facility -- with still a week to go in the month.

"It's a big area that got this rain," said ag banker Kent Thiesse of MinnStar Bank in Lake Crystal, Minn. "This entire area drains into the Minnesota River watershed. And, we were full (soil moisture profile) already."

This year is a record breaker.

That would suck, but alot of our western Canadian farmers in central or eastern Sask are in as bad or worse shape b/c the U.S farmers still have an extra month or two to get the crop off with shorter days now. We were in S,toon today and you could not drive a quad in the feild around there, and it get's worse the farther east, south, north you drive.. Most of Alberta has seen less than half the rainfall that 80% of Sask has had - look at the last 60 day soil moisture/rainfall maps for Sask - way beyond record breaking. Your story is valid but it much worse closer to home givin the time of year.

Comment

Its always worse in SK.

Comment

Take a drive - end of story...
        'wd' where are u from? Leave the R.M/county lately? B/C it is almost unbelievable what you will see. Better yet, go for a plane ride, it looks like the canadian shield!!! Hold your tounge until you witness what you see my friend. Not a time to be a jacka$$!!

Comment

All I was pointing out was we are not alone.

About now we all need a laugh... and to relax... our AB/BC Peace country folks too often have the same weather volitility as eastern SK. A simple fact of life. THis is not Iowa, Idaho, or Illinois.

It is the great white north... where the moose/geese/deer and buffalo/ducks roam free to fall in a pond... and get flown to Calgary in a Leer Jet!

Comment

Your kinda right Tom, but central and eastern Sask is far worse off than any other area in western Canada by a far long , long shot. Belive me look at soil moisture maps, you are very dry in comparison. Anyway good point, I just think the gravity the situation is not fully understood in Sask yet. Anyway, the forcast looks promising for a while, lets all hope/pray it does not change. Still have to see it to believe it.

Comment

Hoping to be able to combine winter wheat today
              or tomorrow. My farm is about 3% combined.
              SW Alberta.
              Maybe don't have quite as many lakes as Sask,
              but the crop got pooched just the same.

Comment

Ya know... there's this province East of Saskatchewan
                in the prairies...

We got all the rain SK did... wheat north of me is
                yielding 6bu/ac average. Canola (I mean wild oats) is
                getting burnt in the field cause it's not worth
                harvesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread