• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

think it is cold and wet now......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think it is cold and wet now......

from yesterday's Financial Post:

Lawrence Solomon: Chilling evidence
    Lawrence Solomon September 16, 2010 – 1:37 am

Two years ago, William Livingston and Matthew Penn of the National Solar Observatory in Tucson, in a controversial paper that contradicted conventional wisdom and upset global warming theorists, predicted that sunspots could more or less disappear after 2015, possibly indicating the onset of another Little Ice Age.

As they stated then, “the occurrence of prolonged periods with no sunspots is important to climate studies, since the Maunder Minimum was shown to correspond with the reduced average global temperatures on the Earth.” The Maunder Minimum lasted for approximately 70 years, from about 1645 to 1715, and was marked by bitter cold, widespread crop failures, and severe human privation. They concluded their 2008 paper by noting, “Finally, observations of this type during the onset of the next sunspot cycle will be critical in determining if the observed trends continue.”

We are now in the onset of that next sunspot cycle, called Cycle 24 – these cycles typically last 11 years — and Livingston and Penn have this month published new, potentially ominous findings in a paper entitled Long-term Evolution of Sunspot Magnetic Fields: “we are now seeing far fewer sunspots than we saw in the preceding cycle; solar Cycle 24 is producing an anomalously low number of dark spots and pores,” they report.

Their conclusions have potential “dramatic implications.” Cycle 24 could have just half the number of sunspots as the recently completed Cycle 23, and there could be “virtually no sunspots in Cycle 25.” The implications of their research points to decades of spotlessness.

The authors base their conclusions on the assumption that recent trends will continue, an assumption that, they note, may well be proven in time to be false. At the same time, given that their findings are consistent with those of other solar scientists, and given the stark implications of another little ice age for society at large, they felt compelled to publish a warning.

“It is important to note that it is always risky to extrapolate linear trends; but the importance of the implications from making such an assumption justify its mention,” they state.

The upshot for scientists and world leaders should be clear, particularly since other scientists in recent years have published analyses that also indicate that global cooling could be on its way. Climate can and does change toward colder periods as well as warmer ones. Over the last 20 years, some $80-billion has been spent on research dominated by the assumption that global temperatures will rise. Virtually no research has investigated the consequences of the very live possibility that temperatures will plummet. Research into global cooling and its implications for the globe is long overdue.

Lawrence Solomon is executive director of Energy Probe and the author of The Deniers

"Virtually no research has investigated the
    consequences of the very live possibility that
    temperatures will plummet."

Nobody has yet figured out a way to blame
    decreased sunspot activity on prosperous
    western economies and collect some rent by
    mitigating anthropogenic solar cooling.

Comment

That make 100% sense! I always said it's too f'ing cold and therefore WET WET WET. Keep watching the sunspot reports, we don't have long to suffer, if this continues, by 2015 there will be NO ag in western Canada.

Comment

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100054012/global-warming-is-dead-long-live-er-global-climate-disruption/

fjlip,
        Climate change carbon taxes would be the real nail in farmers' coffins. Pars

Comment

Parsley et el;

There will be terrible earthquakes, famines, and dreadful diseases in various places. Terrifying sights and miraculous signs will come from the sky. (Luke 21:11)

Leadership in our societies are not focused on the true problem civilisations today are creating;

TO think human activity can save us from environmental disasters... other than repentance and a genuine 'turning from our evil ways'... is a true hoax.

The creation (the universe as we know it) we reside upon in the physical is so very complex... truly balanced upon the good will of the creator who set this world in place;

Our planet Is predicted to change radically as humanity turns its collective 'back' on the only source of true stability and prosperity for humanity and our civilisation.

God help us all...

My prayers are with each of you that you will muster the hope, faith, and love... that God has given to each of us in our hearts; and to not give up doing good works; and despair!

Bless ALL of you; my neighbours!

My prediction... is that what we see... HOT and COLD... Wet and drought... pandemic deseases and healings... earthquakes a floods... will continue!

C02 is NOT the problem... Our hearts are!

Comment

Turning our backs on God has absolutely NOTHING to do with our climatic conditions.

Whomsoever believes that is labouring under an illusion of immense proportion.

Comment

Wilagro,

WOW... did I say that?

Wilagro; Did I say you were responsible for: Wars, flooding, and droughts... earthquakes, and pandemics...?

They are a fact of life. All a part of human existance on planet earth.

As is the following:

"32 Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branches bud and its leaves begin to sprout, you know that summer is near.33 In the same way, when you see all these things, you can know his return is very near, right at the door."(Matthew 24:32-33)

Comment

Naw.
                The facts are that various religions; and their followers have caused more than their fair share of trouble and dissention. Most happenings are still not understood and mankind is but tinkering with the product of evolution.
                It is very helpful to some people to rely on some sayings; but no one has yet ever come back to confirm them. Don't count on it.
                The fairest and safest way is to keep religious quotes out of other topic discussions. If not done; it is obvious that a plug is being put in for your particular biases.

Comment

Oneoff,

It never hurts to keep an open mind.

The whole evolution/climate change religion is allowed to be touted as Gospel... but conversely the Gospel is off limits and tabu to bring up?

If theories/expanations of why we are predicting the future climate... in my small mind... my theory and application of the bibilical prophesy the word contains... has helped in my marketing year after year!

I expect the unexpected!

What about the climate in western Canada next year?

What should I grow?

Is our climate warming up or cooling off?

To reduce production risk... do I fall band fertiliser... gain some growing warmth... and still be a responsible/ethical citizen of our Planet?

Comment

My point is this:

From a production risk point of view... in 2011 moisture is a lower risk of being a limiting factor than growing degree days.

To increase productivity... our farm was very short on warmth/GGD in 2010... not at all like 2009. I have neighbours who counted on 2009 type season warmth... and just got hit economically very hard by the very cold weather over the past months!

What is normal weather? What should we expect?

We should expect the unexpected!!!

Being liberal on the climate warming in 2010 just cost many western CDN grain farmers economically a vast sum of $$$.

All this is very relevant to planning 2011 crops and mitigating risk!

Comment

You also lost me there, Tom4CWB.

In case your faith, as in a coin flip situation that arises in farming, isn't enough, what's the question you should ask of either of the path gatekeepers that will get you to where you want to go?

Ponder it as you head off to church.

Comment

The good thing is being able to express what we feel, what we believe in, with everyone choosing different: hokey/sound, ridiculous/credible,
                        weird,traditional, ..dependng upon your point of view.

Choice.

Enjoy it. Pars

Comment

Mention God nowadays, and people go nuts. Creation? They go nuts. The immorality of mankind? They go nuts. I find that telling. Especially in todays "tolerant" world, where islam is tolerated, gayness is adored, and marriage is pathetic.

But if you have a christian point of view, you are weak, and dumb, and pathetic. And all those "christian" wars. Religion causing all the worlds problems. Man made climate change. Symptoms of an arrogant, self-god society.

I'll wager by looking at the world today, Tom would have a more accurate assessment of where we are going than the self god-people.

Opinions are a wonderful thing. Open minds are even better.

Comment

Now, Tom will probably attest to the fact I would win the prize for the best heathen on AV, we've had the odd discussion on it, lol, but if he wants to attribute climate warming to an Almighty's mighty scheme, I'll read it. I watched Al Gore's movie.

Should the oneoffs of the world decide, for me, for you, for Tom, what will be the "The fairest and safest" topics?

Besides, Tom's religious theory about climate change is what every good heathen could use on a frosty Sunday morning. LOL Pars

Comment

Good point parsley.

What t4 was talking about doesn't impact me and I have the choice to read it or browse through it, think through it, believe or not believe it.

And in the end not think any more or less of him because he is not forcing his beliefs down our throats.

Wouldn't that be nice in other aspects of farming?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...