• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WE ARE NOT ALONE...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WE ARE NOT ALONE...

SF3;

"To illustrate, look at the difference in rainfall between Des Moines, IA and Greenwood, MS.

June, July and August rainfall in Des Moines total 28.21 inches in 2010. That is a staggering amount of rain; it's 15.76 inches ABOVE average, and is almost three times the 3-month rainfall total last year of 9.47 inches.

In contrast, the Greenwood June/July/August rainfall total amounted to just 4.15 inches--6.49 inches BELOW average, and almost two-thirds less than the 2009 rainfall total of 12.17 inches during the same three-month period.

As I'm writing this entry, a cold front is located basically between Fort Dodge and Spencer, IA. That stalled-out front is forcing the thunderstorms and rain over the farm show site".

So SF3... take a valium... then a big breath... and realize that our SOYBEANS in east central ALBERTA are still filling... no wilted leaves from frost... yET! A Miricle... but we are starting to swath Canola... not a big crop... but nicely filled... even if it (and every other grain) is very slow to turn!

That's crazy...trying to grow canola in the west. You can't do that, can you?

On a more serious note, how do the economics of soybeans compare to peas in that area?

Comment

WE ARE NOT ALONE, Goodness me when I first glanced at the heading I thought you were going to say there are aliens amongst us or something, but it's just alberta talking up canola well pretty close anyway! Ha Ha

Comment

ado89,

We are 300 corn heat units short this year... so 2 more weeks are needed to fill the beans.

Lots of pods... need some heat to finish filling them.

Comment

My math works like this...

beans @ $9/bu x 40bu/ac = $360/ac with a 50% probability = $180

peas @ $5/bu x 50 bu/ac = $250/ac with a 75% probablility of getting that yield = $187

Based on similar input costs the risk vs return seems pretty high. How do the other inputs, mostly seed cost and chemical (RR?) shake out compared to peas? Where do you market them?

Comment

ado089

First year growing the soybeans.

I would say for now they are a high risk crop... need shorter season varieties. Will find out how fall frost finishes them off.

Comment

how many heat unit in your area,what is your soybean variety,when close to maturity they finish very fast,hope you wont get frost.norm

Comment

Whew I thought this was going to be about exploring Uranus.

Comment

Yeah I was kinda offended I thought it was about some of my inlaws, they are kinda "out there" among us supporting the cwb. Is Uranus a hideout for those kind?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...