• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DID ALBERTA HAVE FROST or IS it like 2002 NO PROBLEM JUST A MINOR FROST!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DID ALBERTA HAVE FROST or IS it like 2002 NO PROBLEM JUST A MINOR FROST!

I cant figure out why so many Alberta posters on here are really quiet. I'm not laughing at your predicament just curious. DID IT FREEZE IN ALBERTA?
    Signs of frost
    1. Garden dead. HM
    2. Canola pods turn white on top of canopy.
    3. dog dish frozen.
    4. Car and roof has frost on it.
    5. All of a sudden the barley oats hrs is all ripe. Hm
    This is a marketing page and if it froze say it did and we can all adjust our marketing plans. If it didn't say it didn't and we can all adjust our marketing plans.
    You have the huge crop I know I saw a lot of very good to excellent crops in west. But if it froze and were so fricking wet one better get some feed wheat contracts done pronto before that market tanks. If harvest is delayed like Drew's forecast for Sept states (yea was hopping for a change not wet cold wet cold wet cold HOT AND SUNNY. Basic weekly forecast) Were all going to have to adjust our marketing plans. Huge amount of feed grade product is going to effect us all. Just a heads up boys. Because like 02 and 04 the experts were DEAD WRONG with their assess later attitude.

Yes it froze hard Sunday night. It also froze in various places in the week before that.

I think the silence you are hearing is mourning of the loss of higher grades that we might have seen with a couple more weeks without frost.

Kids say the canola is hit hard and turning white already.

Comment

No frost in our area of South AB but did hear a report of frost about 30 miles away. Noted that feed barley bids have dropped so feeders are hoping it did freeze.

Comment

SF3,

I would say that the area in Alberta (after just checking Env. Canada) is small compaired to what is out here.

Forcasts are now good till next week... wheat will start comming off by then so quality will be the main problem when it does freeze... no doubt there are late crops of wheat... but the folks who plant wheat in June need a real miracle for these crops to be high quality at any rate!

I hope the rain goes away... and warm weather lets you proceed with harvest!

Blessings!!!

Comment

We had frost both Friday night, Monday night and last night. -2.5, -2, and -1. This is just East of Calgary between Indus and Dalemead.

Cooked some of the wife's flowers, hoping the wheat is far enough along not to totally smash the grade. Canola... who knows, after the hail took it's toll I don't hold out much hope for yield or quality.

Sure throughs a wrench in the pre-harvest spraying too.

Comment

Monday night frost came in but minor frost after shower. Canola look didn't too bad, early maturity which is help. On low spot see white spot. Pretty soon swathing probably after Labour day. We has 20.9 inches rain overall since spring till end of August. In our area normally is 16 inches overall as was by Lacombe Research Station weather record.

Comment

Mention of 2002 will send a shiver up any Albertans spine - drought year across much of the province combined with a late harvest.

Suspect sprout/low falling number will be as much a down grading issue as frost damage if current trends stay in place. Diseases like ergot will also take their toll.

Comment

Didn't know that falling number is now a grading factor. I do see ergot in the standing wheat, nothing ready to combine yet.

Comment

Not a grading factor as such but still the relationship between sprout and falling number (not exact I realize). On the sale to end user side elevator forward, falling number is usually a clause in contracts. Could be a year of tighter grading specifications/limited blending ability.

Comment

north Edmonton area, rooftops white Monday night no damage to gardens or crops, showers every 2nd day, swathing canola very little combining done, expect that some grade loss is occuring in early seeded wheat and in pea crops. Forecast for early next week could be highs of only 9C if it clears, it will cook

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...