• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Wheat!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Wheat!

I am convinced that our CWB is putting the final screws in the coffin for winter wheat production in Western Canada. Mentioned this before but need to vent a bit this evening. Was in southern Ont. This past weekend. Winter wheat harvest was well underway. Crop was yielding well. In the hundred bushel per acre range in some areas. The farmer I touched base with was selling his crop of winter wheat right off the combine. No protein specifications required. Grain company is from Winnipeg and was paying him $6.03 in his pocket. Just like one of the guys posted earlier. Believe it was Mr. Tom. This farmer was also locking in his wheat production for 2011 – same company - for the same price. We are still in the same country – ya I know we are in the west. About 10 years ago the farmers in Ont. made a change. Since then the original Ontario board has become very competitive and farmers have choices. Yet why do they have such a huge price advantage. The same company that has elevators all over the west is buying this guys crop in Ont and giving him a “real” price for it.

I have grown winter wheat for many years. It does have it’s advantage in our wetlands south of Winnipeg. Yet with the coming changes ins specs. Protein is one which we cannot deliver on with the varieties that we have for the high yields. Simply it is impossible to grow what is being suggested or asked for in the coming years. Also look at the difference between Kansas and Minneapolis wheat prices and then what is being posted for the coming year back here. We are not even close back in western Canada.

Are not enough of us aware what other farmers are receiving for their products? We are being made a laughing stock to others in the production of this crop. Oh yes by the way. Winter wheat had about a 15 cent premium to spring wheat in Ont. To me that was the final kick in the ??????????

RedBaron,

Thanks for doing the ground work to confirm what is happening.

The CWB must open up minor classes like winter wheat and Hard White... we also should have Hard White Winter... if the CWB were more than a one trick monopoly pony!

What plant breeding folks would dare to cross what lines the CWB draw ...

...We saw what happens... fold... or be folded.

Comment

Agstar - care to comment???? Or any other blind board cheerleader???? The pro camp has been very silent as late. I hope you are completely fu^&in embarased with your beloved cwb like the rest of us are. Run the numbers on board crops , then look at everthing else - what a frickin joke!! Then one reads the boo-hoo story about cwb grains costing forign millers way too much money - wtf is going on!!!

Comment

The cwb is running a deficit in the durum pool and trying to figure out how to cover it up.

Read the last pro statement - they are 10% sold into new crop wheat. That is the saudi and china sale that they gave away to try to get some cash.Since then the wheat futures have rallied. They have world crop survellence and they could not tell what was going on in russia? Give me a break. The very fact that the saudis and china came to canada for a grain purchase at that time of the year is a clue something is going on in other areas of the world. Or the cwb is short on cash to cover their incompetence.

Where did BP go when it needed money? That's right, they were in the middle east. Same with the cwb.

But to give away the first ten percent when the cwb doesn't know the quality or quantity is idiotic. They should not be in the market with this late crop until it is in the bin. The only harm is that it will raise prices by taking tradable wheat stocks off the market.

And yet sir ian and ward keep their jobs. They must have been weatherman at one time. Tell people the wrong thing everyday and keep your job.

Comment

ANd you guys gave me shit because i said the the Ontario farmers are better off because of no CWB..

Comment

I've got a neighbor who's just back from Ontario and he confirmed the same thing. 100 bushel winter wheat selling for around the $6 mark.

We are getting so screwed in the west by the Chronic Wasting Board it's ridiculous.

Comment

CWB and ww is a joke. We have made the decision to sell a good part of our ww as feed to one of those winnipeg companies. With a Aug delivery one might assume at $4 bu that they might be selling this back into the milling market. We have grown high proteien ww for the past four seasons. In three of four of those seasons in the end the feed bid at harvest would have financially outperformed the cwb final. With a 3.40 to 3.50 in my pocket pro when this offer was made I only breifely hesitated, would the board make up more than a bu an acre by the final???....I know of 4 to 5000 tonne of good ww that went to feed already......screw the cwb, free us now!!!!!

Comment

Anybody want to give us a guilt trip for taking
                government money?

Comment

US midwest farmers are getting $6 as well for their milling soft wheat. The CWB helps high wheat prices in Ontario by keeping competition from western wheat out of their market. That is why the Libs and NDP support it so much. The CWB needs to go. Evidence is so overwhelming that even the NFU could figure it out.

Comment

Cotton;

Could this be the reason we still have the CWB... and why Goodale trys to make it impossible to detach from this fruitless monopoly?

Comment

Profarmer there were many of us who quietly agreed with you. It is hard to accept sometimes when our eastern friends did it right. If memory serves me correct the question that was asked of farmers for change - was a very simple and clear question. They voted by a two thirds majority for change. They implemented it. We cannot even agree on a question or method of presenting it. We use a convoluted method of electing directors and hoping this will bring change. When most of us agree they alone cannot make the necessary changes. We allow persons with limited or no vested interest in agriculture in western Canada to still vote on these questions. Could go on and on. I firmly believe we are still a long way away from even allowing change to start. I am reading some of the posts under this topic. It is mind boggling the money that is being lost to us on just these relatively small acres of ww. Add the other two crops in there and I ask myself how can we be so divisive in our industry to leave that kind of money on the table. Makes our bailouts by the feds pale in comparison this past year.

Comment

The borg makes Conrad Black look like a saint!
                        Oh yah, and still no pro cwb comment or deffense.
                        Please do not reply burbot, you make no ***$in sense at all anytime!

Comment

Pro cwb camp hideing being their mail box for the next $.05/ bus payment to go to bingo.

Comment

Pretty sound argument for people marketing their own minor class wheat, though pretty good argument that you market all your wheat. Interesting thing about US hard wheat, both winter and low protein old crop spring, is that it's getting railed east and getting delivered against Chicago futures in a big way. No export home to speak of for US low protein wheat, or at least limited homes, and with Chicago propped up by spec short covering and a fund long, along with the VSR issue, it's the best place to put lower protein spring wheat. Also - note the Iragi tender last weekend with 7 cargo's trading, 2 Russian (around $250) 1 Romanian (around $258) 2 US (around $297) and 1 CWB (around $297.50). Also, as a reminder, on the Saudi round a couple of months ago the CWB did 2 cargo's while the Germans' did 16 cargo's. And the Chinese "deal" is a memorandum of understanding, not a sale.

Comment

Tom,i would not know where to start on global
                              commodity price suppression,it would probably
                              start with gatta.

Cogs in a wheel.

How much do chicken and pig f$ck^rs make in
                              quebecwhass and entareeeooosss,kick in got milk
                              with supply side and your talking serious
                              scratch,f#ck you side ways type scratch,oclief went
                              broke or sold out to the neighbour for a
                              mittfull,maybe my hands are strong enough to
                              wring the truth out,but unfortunatly im not
                              physically close enough,ralph malph has excactly
                              the same light bulb in his eyes as the local work in
                              shop guys sorting pop cans,actually i shouldnt
                              degrade them guys with that euphmism,they are
                              doing their jobs great.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...